The Student Room Group

Economics question

Original post by claireestelle
x.

I am in year 11 atm, and i would like to go into economics, and do it in uni... My options for A-levels are Maths, Economics, Computing.. i am doing computing and maths which i can defo get A*s and A's in and economics, i can self teach this summer... would this work? any advice?
Original post by K.H.A.N™
I am in year 11 atm, and i would like to go into economics, and do it in uni... My options for A-levels are Maths, Economics, Computing.. i am doing computing and maths which i can defo get A*s and A's in and economics, i can self teach this summer... would this work? any advice?

The obvious advice is to make your own thread rather than barge into one with completely different issues...

Posted from TSR Mobile
I do the exact same A levels. I would recommend start going over C1 in the summer and perhaps get the relevant Economics revision guides and start making notes.

I don't see why that wouldnt work :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
The obvious advice is to make your own thread rather than barge into one with completely different issues...

Looks like another mod has beaten me to it :smile:
Reply 5

Are you saying you are only doing two A-levels at school and having to self-teach one?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by life.of.pablo
I do the exact same A levels. I would recommend start going over C1 in the summer and perhaps get the relevant Economics revision guides and start making notes.

Is computing the same as GCSE or much harder?
Original post by jneill
Are you saying you are only doing two A-levels at school and having to self-teach one?

no i mean i am going to be doing all 3 in college but after my exams (yr 11) i am going to be selfteaching my self a bit about economics so i have a head start..
Reply 8
no i mean i am going to be doing all 3 in college but after my exams (yr 11) i am going to be selfteaching my self a bit about economics so i have a head start..

Enjoy your summer with friends. You don't need a head start, economics isn't hard. Computing on the other hand is a fair bit harder than GCSE because there's about 1.5 times the content of most other as levels.

You can but it might end up being a huge waste of time. You will be better served keeping up to date with the news and current affairs. Read a few economics books and learn some background/history of economics.

Learning the spec early will probably not help you in the long-term. I barely knew any economic theory when I started but I would consider to be one of the better economics students now purely due to my general knowledge.
Original post by BasicMistake
You can but it might end up being a huge waste of time. You will be better served keeping up to date with the news and current affairs. Read a few economics books and learn some background/history of economics.

Learning the spec early will probably not help you in the long-term. I barely knew any economic theory when I started but I would consider to be one of the better economics students now purely due to my general knowledge.

ok.. I have Economics Summer school @ Oxford and Cambridge... And NCS and a lot of different things.. this will help right?.... i am going to enjoy my summer and at the end ish going to look at the spec and make some notes on computing as well as economics and maths too..
ok.. I have Economics Summer school @ Oxford and Cambridge... And NCS and a lot of different things.. this will help right?.... i am going to enjoy my summer and at the end ish going to look at the spec and make some notes on computing as well as economics and maths too..

You have summer school this summer? I wasn't aware that Year 11s had the opportunity.

For economics, I seriously do not recommend learning the course beforehand. What will happen is that you will get bored for the first month or two of lessons and then not understand it any better than the person next to you. Economics isn't hard at AS whatsoever. Enjoy your summer (NCS is great, I did it too) and just keep on top of current affairs. If you want, read books like the Undercover Economist and Freakonomics to get a better picture of the subject.
Original post by BasicMistake
You have summer school this summer? I wasn't aware that Year 11s had the opportunity.

For economics, I seriously do not recommend learning the course beforehand. What will happen is that you will get bored for the first month or two of lessons and then not understand it any better than the person next to you. Economics isn't hard at AS whatsoever. Enjoy your summer (NCS is great, I did it too) and just keep on top of current affairs. If you want, read books like the Undercover Economist and Freakonomics to get a better picture of the subject.

Ok thanks :smile:
May i ask? After College, then Uni... then whats ur plan? I want to go into Investment Banking... wbu?
Reply 13

If you are aiming at Cambridge it may be helpful to do Further Maths.

But as others have said, no need to try to get ahead of the curve with any of your a-levels.
Ok thanks :smile:
May i ask? After College, then Uni... then whats ur plan? I want to go into Investment Banking... wbu?

I have no real plan about what to do after university. I've had actuarial science, accountancy, banking and management all thrown in my general direction but I don't have a clue. However, I don't feel like I need to make a decision until later on in uni.

Quick Reply