The Student Room Group

Scottish police to add hijab uniform under diversity plan

Scroll to see replies

idk why people cry about hijab being oppressive , when they chose to wear it
Original post by simon_g
people who could be held back by the lack of hijab are not the people I would like to see in the Force. plus, it also alienates ethnic minorities, it clearly shows they do not need to assimilate.

So what you're saying is just because women who make a concious decision to wear Hijab and hence do not join the Force should not be allowed in the Force when they are able to wear Hijab in the Force and therefore allow themselves to join the Force? That just does not make any sense. How does it alienate ethnic minorities, this is not a case of assimilation into society, they are probably more British than you!
Reply 22
Why y'all acting like this is a problem lmao? So easily offended smh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Original post by TSR Mustafa
idk why people cry about hijab being oppressive , when they chose to wear it

The problem here is not about whether they chose to wear the hijab or not, but the fact that the uniform of public servants will be changed to accommodate sectarian beliefs.
Original post by Josb
The problem here is not about whether they chose to wear the hijab or not, but the fact that the uniform of public servants will be changed to accommodate sectarian beliefs.

it only affects females of that faith , it's the same uniform with the addition of some headgear makes zero difference
Reply 25
Original post by Josb

Big whoop? Is there any slippery slope you're perceiving because I can't see any immediate issues

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Original post by TSR Mustafa
it only affects females of that faith , it's the same uniform with the addition of some headgear makes zero difference

Well precisely, the addition of a headgear is a difference.
Reply 27
Original post by RobML
Big whoop? Is there any slippery slope you're perceiving because I can't see any immediate issues

Posted from TSR Mobile

It gives the idea that Muslims can have a special treatment. A uniform shouldn't - by definition - show any ideological difference between its agents.
Reply 28
Original post by Josb
It gives the idea that Muslims can have a special treatment. A uniform shouldn't - by definition - show any ideological difference between its agents.

Oh of course, it was a disaster that all those Sikh soldiers fighting for Britain during WW1 + 2 were permitted to wear their turbans...
Ideological difference only matters when it's relevant to the job at hand.
Reply 29
Original post by RobML
Oh of course, it was a disaster that all those Sikh soldiers fighting for Britain during WW1 + 2 were permitted to wear their turbans...
Ideological difference only matters when it's relevant to the job at hand.

It was more than 70 years ago and they fought in Sikh regiments, where they all had the same uniform.
Reply 30
Original post by Josb
It was more than 70 years ago and they fought in Sikh regiments, where they all had the same uniform.

I know, British Empire were a bunch of lefty cucks...
Being in their own regiments just shows that things went fine when there is an even greater degree of seperation than some headscarves here and there. not really supporting your argument.
Original post by Drewski
I'm aware it's a different religion, but the turban has been an official part of UK military uniform for well over 70 years, so why does a police equivalent bother you so much?

Probably because he didn't know that the turban has been an official part of UK military uniform and now you have told him, that's bothered him as well, especially when you've posted the pic of a British King wearing one.

So now he's more annoyed than he was when he posted this thread lol.
Original post by Josb
The basic function of a "uniform" is to erase differences between agents.

Here are four Metropolitan policewomen wearing the hijab.

Ignore the hijab; look at the rest of the uniform. They are all in uniform but no two are dressed alike.

When you look at Trooping the Colour on Saturday, it is improbable that any two guardsmen will be dressed identically. British uniforms tell a story about the wearer or of the organisation of which he or she is a member.
Reply 33
Original post by RobML
I know, British Empire were a bunch of lefty cucks... Being in their own regiments just shows that things went fine when there is an even greater degree of seperation than some headscarves here and there. not really supporting your argument.

You chose to make a silly comparison between the British colonial army and the current uniform of policewomen, I never said that the British Empire was right.
Reply 34
Original post by nulli tertius

Ignore the hijab; look at the rest of the uniform. They are all in uniform but no two are dressed alike.

Are they in the same town? of the same grade? of the same unit?
Original post by Josb
Are they in the same town? of the same grade? of the same unit?

They were all members of the Metropolitan Police.
Original post by Protégé
having a few more ethnic minorities in the police force doesn't make it better

In Northern Ireland to tackle issues regarding terrorism, they aimed to increase presence of Irish Catholics within the police force. Whether that was effective, I don't know. But I imagine they might have similar intentions?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by Josb
Well precisely, the addition of a headgear is a difference.

if you got an issue with it then you can go back to France.
Reply 38
This isnt an issue at all. I dont see what difference this makes at all.
Seek policemen can already wear turbans. Stop making a fuss over nothing.

Original post by Josb
The basic function of a "uniform" is to erase differences between agents. They are going to highlight them. Smart.

We aren't all forced to worship the state unlike in France :u:

Should they all black police officers "white" up?
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending