The Student Room Group

How to get in touch with my more Pakistani side?

Scroll to see replies

Hang out with more traditional pakistani's
Go to pakistani community centres
Move to Birmingham OR Bradford :biggrin:

Spoiler

[QUOTE=UnoriginalBen;65568857]Watch a documentary and eat some curry.

How is that suppose to help? Do you really believe a geographic documentary on The Beauty of pakistan will help OP get in touch with his pakistani side! I highly doubt that!
It's worse if you're a non-religious Pakistani.
Original post by PrincessBO$$
Hang out with more traditional pakistani's
Go to pakistani community centres
Move to Birmingham OR Bradford :biggrin:

Spoiler

My mum used to volunteer at a community centre (she's Pakistani) and I'd often go along with her. It was difficult for me to 'fit in' as all the other children were..well..brown. They'd see me as fully white.

It's hard to ingrate when people define themselves almost entirely by their religion as well, with me being a strong atheist.
Is your Dad White-English? And Muslim?
Wear Shalwar Kameez bruh
Original post by Lord Gaben
Is your Dad White-English? And Muslim?

My dad is white english and is not muslim. My mother is fully Pakistani and not muslim.
Original post by hezzlington
My dad is white english and is not muslim. My mother is fully Pakistani and not muslim.

Same here, except my Dad's crazily religious.
So I'm half Pakistani right, but I feel totally disconnected from the culture. I'm pretty western.

I eat some pakistani food, but that's about it.

Any ideas?

If you want to know how I did it:

I learnt to speak Urdu (I can almost fluently speak it but not so great at reading it)

Watch all the Pakistani dramas (which I def recommend cuz they are so intense and a great insight into different aspects of Pakistani culture - watch Humsafar cuz that was suuuper famous and that couple is my OTP)

Listen to Pakistani music and try bollywood, bhangra and kathak dancing - even though they're mostly Indian styles, everyone loves the person at the wedding who actually knows how to dance!

But honestly do try and go to Pakistan

I only went for the first time last March.

Everyone I met was so amazing and inspiring that I fell in love with the country.

Every child I taught english to was so intelligent (seriously they learnt more english in one week than I learnt Spanish in those two gcse years!)

and every preson was so selfless. the government is so useless over there that the people have had to learn to look after themselves.

I volunteered at a hospital where most patients would have been carried there by complete strangers

I met a very rich and upper class family who paid for their cook and maids' kids to go to the most expensive private school in Lahore

The whole women being oppressed thing is only true in the lower classes who are very uneducated but is very rare in middle to upper class families. Women are highly respected and I swear the husbands are more afraid of their wife hitting them rather than the other way around!

Its a fab country and a very inspiring culture. If you explore it with an open mind and really get into it then you will never want to Pakistan. I didnt!
I'm half English

Do they have decent Graduate Schemes?

Need money to make money.

Although the Al Qaeda comment was slightly racist, my corner shop one was not. It was not inciting racial hatred in anyway even if it wasn't interpreted as mere facetiousness. Don't report me for stupid things like this, please.
Original post by Sarpedon
Although the Al Qaeda comment was slightly racist, my corner shop one was not. It was not inciting racial hatred in anyway even if it wasn't interpreted as mere facetiousness. Don't report me for stupid things like this, please.

I didn't report you darling.

But...care to expand on your comment? Why would setting up a corner shop help me get in touch with my Pakistani side?
I didn't report you darling.

But...care to expand on your comment? Why would setting up a corner shop help me get in touch with my Pakistani side?

It's what Pakistanis do; it would help you get a feel for typical Pakistani-British culture and embrace the social norms of this group.
Original post by Sarpedon
It's what Pakistanis do; it would help you get a feel for typical Pakistani-British culture and embrace the social norms of this group.

:lol:

don't take the piss.
:lol:

don't take the piss.

what's ur other half g ?
Original post by That Arab Guy
what's ur other half g ?

Half english
I think most people if they went would find it vastly more civilised than say Newcastle.
Reply 76
My pakistani family all live in Australia/Doha.

And my mother has no desire to travel to Pakistan :frown:

I've heard it's a beautiful country. I'd love to see the Himalayas

I'm living in Doha
Do you speak Urdu?
Which part of Pakistan is you family from?
Do they have decent Graduate Schemes?

I believe they do - try the dark web.
If not, I hear ISIS are recruiting.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm half white half Pakistani too. However because our family is Muslim the Pakistani side of our culture is more influential as it is more compatible with Islam. When I was younger I used to reject my Pakistani side by refusing to wear Asian clothes or eat Asian food but as I've grown older I've grown to embrace both sides (mostly my pak side though). I recommend making some Pakistani friends. Maybe try learning more about Pakistan from your mum or by reading books, watching documentaries, watching dramas, learning Urdu?

Quick Reply

Latest