The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by keepdreaming-
Is it okay to refer to schizophrenia as SZ in the essay - (after writing '...schizophrenia (SZ)' at the beginning of the essay?

Yep that should be fine
Seriously need help with statistics just how each one works?! And classification and diagnosis essay plan?
Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM
No i havent started i mean we do have untill tuesday so hopefully i can finish most of it by then. the biggest essay asked is 10? So its not like were learning full essays its just a 2 studies w eval etc so shouldnt be too bad?

Never mind they can ask 20 mark essay qs.... Fs

Actually i just looked and it seems addiction which is the one with more essays to learn can only be asked max of 10 marks.
Depression which has 7 essays can be asked as a 24.

I reckon if people start revising tomorrow they'll be okay. I revised for my unit 4 mock, completely unaware of the questions, for 2 hours the night before and got 2 marks of a C. Not too bad for 2 hours of just reading over notes. 5 days is plenty of time to learn much less content than the unit 4 exam!
Original post by bullseye1
I reckon if people start revising tomorrow they'll be okay. I revised for my unit 4 mock, completely unaware of the questions, for 2 hours the night before and got 2 marks of a C. Not too bad for 2 hours of just reading over notes. 5 days is plenty of time to learn much less content than the unit 4 exam!

this gives me a bit more confidence... they only thing is that i've got loopa's essays and although i haven't looked at them yet they look like a lot? maybe i'm wrong but we'll find out tomorrow when i start revising lol, i need a rest
Original post by evekay
this gives me a bit more confidence... they only thing is that i've got loopa's essays and although i haven't looked at them yet they look like a lot? maybe i'm wrong but we'll find out tomorrow when i start revising lol, i need a rest

Good, the unit 4 exam is definitely easier to get marks in! Hmm maybe they are but there are only a limited amount of questions that can possibly come up, which means you won't have to revise as much, plus research methods can pick you up a lot of marks without much revision! Yeah me too, taking a break until tomorrow morning and then I'll start.
It was a requirement, AQA put an S on the end of the word explanations, can you not comprehend this means they want more than one theory? Do you not understand the meaning plural words? There's no dancing around it, AQA has done this before to catch people out by not reading the question properly, and they've done it again. Saj's post was on a general level which applies to all topics in unit 3, he was talking about the unit 3 exam. The phrasing of the question isn't different for different topics, and no matter what the topic is, if the word "explanation" in the question is plural, clearly what they are asking for is more than one explanation, no matter what the topic is. I just hope they count sexual jealousy and infidelity as two separate explanations, or come results day the grade boundaries will be very low.

The exact same question came up in January 2011 and the mark scheme does not mention having to discuss both group displays AND infidelity/jealousy... It also says that partial performance is not an issue for the essay and it should just be judged on depth and breadth
So I think you're incorrect on this one
It was a requirement, AQA put an S on the end of the word explanations, can you not comprehend this means they want more than one theory? Do you not understand the meaning plural words? There's no dancing around it, AQA has done this before to catch people out by not reading the question properly, and they've done it again. Saj's post was on a general level which applies to all topics in unit 3, he was talking about the unit 3 exam. The phrasing of the question isn't different for different topics, and no matter what the topic is, if the word "explanation" in the question is plural, clearly what they are asking for is more than one explanation, no matter what the topic is. I just hope they count sexual jealousy and infidelity as two separate explanations, or come results day the grade boundaries will be very low.

Actually, I think it depends on the topic, for example in some mark schemes they've said that with explanations that have overlapping concepts, there are no 'partial performance' constraints. That happened last year for 'evolutionary explanations of sleep.' Aggression is one of these, for example there is so much overlap between infidelity and jealousy that by talking about one, you are almost definitely going to talk about the other. Also, when the same question was presented in Jan 11, it was said that there were no partial performance issues. Whereas with questions such as 'discuss neural and/or hormonal explanations of aggression,' there will be partial performance restrictions, as these explanations don't overlap. Have a look at past mark schemes to check this out... This is what I found anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
So I have been looking at the past psychology papers and found one question that is similar in marks and question layout as the evolutionary explanation of aggression one we recieved today. The question was 'Discuss genetic factors involved in aggressive behaviour (4 + 16 marks)' and the mark scheme for this question said
"Note that although the question refers to ‘factors’, there are no partial performance criteria onthis question part. Answers providing detailed outlines of one factor may earn AO1 marks inthe top band, while examiners should also be sensitive to depth-breadth trade-offs inanswers that cover more than one factor"
Therefore, I believe that writing about only one (or writing about both) will be awarded marks as AQA are aware of time constraints and want answers to be focused and coherent. I am not an examiner, obviously, but we should not panic and fingers crossed, we will all be fine. Too late to change it now!
Original post by fluzzles98
The exact same question came up in January 2011 and the mark scheme does not mention having to discuss both group displays AND infidelity/jealousy... It also says that partial performance is not an issue for the essay and it should just be judged on depth and breadth
So I think you're incorrect on this one

Breadth means covering more than one topic, ie. another explanation. They wanted you to talk about more than one explanation to demonstrate breadth as well as depth.
Original post by TMC113
Actually, I think it depends on the topic, for example in some mark schemes they've said that with explanations that have overlapping concepts, there are no 'partial performance' constraints. That happened last year for 'evolutionary explanations of sleep.' Aggression is one of these, for example there is so much overlap between infidelity and jealousy that by talking about one, you are almost definitely going to talk about the other. Also, when the same question was presented in Jan 11, it was said that there were no partial performance issues. Whereas with questions such as 'discuss neural and/or hormonal explanations of aggression,' there will be partial performance restrictions, as these explanations don't overlap. Have a look at past mark schemes to check this out... This is what I found anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have been told this before, but you can easily find questions set by AQA that are identical, however in the markschemes the marking criteria varies a lot. Basically, I think it required you to talk about more than one explanation by discussing sexual jealousy and infidelity, because as you said, talking about one leads to talking about another, however hopefully they will count the two as separate explanation. However, some people are saying they either talked about one, either sexual jealousy or infidelity, or they only wrote about one aspect of group display, which means they aren't discussing more than one explanation like the questions asks for.
Breadth means covering more than one topic, ie. another explanation. They wanted you to talk about more than one explanation to demonstrate breadth as well as depth.

Very true but the fact they talk about there being no issue with partial performance leads me to think that they weren't explicitly looking for 2 explanations.

Not only this but they talk about infidelity/jealousy being the most popular route for AO1 marks but offer alternatives that were used.
Original post by georgie2498
anyone do group displays for the aggression one?

YES! I completly mis-read the question because I felt so rushed and panicked! I did group displays by accident, but applied it to aggression in general... Did I complete balls that up? Or will it work
How there is so much debate over explanationS is unreal...

Guys, Infidelity and jealousy are two explanations. Therefore you needed both if you picked that topic. You did not need group display as well.
Original post by keepdreaming-
Is it okay to refer to schizophrenia as SZ in the essay - (after writing '...schizophrenia (SZ)' at the beginning of the essay?

Yeah, that's okay, you signified what 'SZ' meant initially so they will understand and treat it as if it was written out in full.
Original post by fair.francesco
YES! I completly mis-read the question because I felt so rushed and panicked! I did group displays by accident, but applied it to aggression in general... Did I complete balls that up? Or will it work

That works fine, although the topic is groups, it is still an evolutionary theory describing aggression, so you're fine!
I have been told this before, but you can easily find questions set by AQA that are identical, however in the markschemes the marking criteria varies a lot. Basically, I think it required you to talk about more than one explanation by discussing sexual jealousy and infidelity, because as you said, talking about one leads to talking about another, however hopefully they will count the two as separate explanation. However, some people are saying they either talked about one, either sexual jealousy or infidelity, or they only wrote about one aspect of group display, which means they aren't discussing more than one explanation like the questions asks for.

I think the best way to judge it is based on the criteria for the Jan 2011 paper, if a full essay didn't look at partial performance, then I strongly doubt that a 4+16 would.
Original post by A-LJLB
How there is so much debate over explanationS is unreal...

Guys, Infidelity and jealousy are two explanations. Therefore you needed both if you picked that topic. You did not need group display as well.

I would argue it is 1 theory in itself, since both are so closely linked and one basically leads to the other. However, they might count it as you covering more than 1 aspect of human aggression cause there's 2 components to it, so we'll just have to see.
Original post by TMC113
I think the best way to judge it is based on the criteria for the Jan 2011 paper, if a full essay didn't look at partial performance, then I strongly doubt that a 4+16 would.

Yeah, but what I'm saying is if you only wrote about, say, sexual jealousy, and not infidelity, or you wrote about only one aspect of group display, you are not demonstrating any breadth, which is what the 2011 paper required you to do. Therefore, your marks would be limited since you are not covering more than one explanation.
Guyssss, i need some worda of reassurance. Basically i finished relationships and aggression comfortably but it got to eating and my mind went blank. Im so scared right now cause i wrote nothingggggg cause i couldnt remember nothingggggg. If i ace psya4 will that one essay affect it poorly?😢😢😢😢😢😢
Original post by jan3601
Yeah, that's okay, you signified what 'SZ' meant initially so they will understand and treat it as if it was written out in full.

Thank you :smile:

Latest