The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP2 Official 2016 Exam Thread - 8th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mathemagicien
Oh yeah, you still have your GCSEs to worry about. How are they going?

Everyone is moaning about question 4, where you had to integrate e^2x sin x IIRC

Easy to do if you remember sin x = (e^ix - e^-ix)/(2i), but otherwise just IBP twice

I think I lost at least one mark on the last question, I got the exact answer correct I think, but I added it up wrong (forgot to add the arccos 3/4, so my final answer was wrong). STEP has made me forget how to use a calculator...

I did it a different way, saves a long time:
Original post by Insight314
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465405839.248518.jpgProve me wrong.Pro-tip: You can't.Posted from TSR Mobile

Damn, I just found out about this exponential form of sine. You are too good with complex numbers! :biggrin: I bet you are gonna have some fun time in the STEP III exam if Siklos floods it with complex numbers once again, haha. I am trying to work on my STEP complex numbers/vectors/mech in the next two weeks. :smile:

GCSEs are going pretty well, thanks for asking, but probably failed GCSE Geography due to not being in classes since January and so not knowing any of the case studies lol. The other one I had today, Computer Science, went pretty well though.

Yeah, that last question was so ****ing annoying, wasn't it? It was really fiddly, mainly due to the fact they couldn't just use pythagorean triplets, so you had to carry that arccos with your integral. I kind of avoided that, though, by letting it equal to a variable and then just using triangle to find values for sin and cos, using sin 2\theta identity and then writing down the answer. I think I got full marks, so I am pretty happy with my performance. I feel like my A* in FM is banked right now, but I still have Physics and (especially) STEP to worry about! :biggrin:

Good luck to both of us with our offers (especially with STEP II next week), and well done with your FP2 performance today, even though you made a small mistake at the end, I feel like that is still 100UMS. :smile:
Original post by Pixel_Green
Well according to me in the exam, 3^2 = 3 when you put it in front of an integral sign on 8b. Bye bye 3-5 marks there. Then countless dumb errors or lack of completion due to lack of time

Yeah that's what pressure does, relying on M2 or D2 now🙏
image.jpg

I know the roots were correct but this is what a did for the sketch of the roots on an arg and diagram. Is this detailed enough for both marks?
Original post by kelvin1338
Very likely, but not certainly. I know people who've been rejected getting 1 mark off A* in further maths.

What is likely?
In future you can write y = arcos(3/4) and write y instead of arcos(3/4) all the time to save time.

The same applies to DeMoivre's etc, writing y=cos(theta) or y=sin(theta)

Ooh that's a good idea, thank you! :smile:
I've got worked solutions written for all but Q5-7, well I have one of 5 to 7 done but dont know which one it is. So if you want my take on the paper I need to know what the questions were lmao
Has there been an unofficial mark scheme made?
Original post by JoshC98
Has there been an unofficial mark scheme made?

As far as I'm aware, no.

I'm nearly finished with some worked solutions, can you remember something...

For the tan(x) expansion up to term (x-(pi/4))^3, in part 'b', it asks you to use the expansion to get an approximate for tan(theta), I can't remember what theta was.

Also for another question regarding DeMoivre's, in part 'b' you have to show the integral of (sin^5(theta) +something?) = ~53/400ish. (I can't recall precisely, not sure if anyone else can help with that).

Otherwise wait till tomorrow after the paper is released on Edexcel site and people get it done
As far as I'm aware, no.

For the tan(x) expansion up to term (x-(pi/4))^3, in part 'b', it asks you to use the expansion to get an approximate for tan(theta), I can't remember what theta was.

Also for another question regarding DeMoivre's, in part 'b' you have to show the integral of (sin^5(theta) +something?) = ~53/400ish. (I can't recall precisely, not sure if anyone else can help with that).

Otherwise wait till tomorrow after the paper is released on Edexcel site and people get it done

I think for the de Moivre's part (b) it was 53/480. Also, I feel like it may have been tan(pi/6)? Not at all confident in that though.
As far as I'm aware, no.

Was it 5π12\dfrac{5 \pi }{12}?

Argh, 5π/12.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by EricPiphany
Was it 5π12\dfrac{5 \pi }{12}?

Argh, 5π/12.

I'm stuck between whether it was 5π/12 or 7π/12 now.

The DeMoivre's equaled 53/480 Im pretty sure, I just cant remember the integral
I'm stuck between whether it was 5π/12 or 7π/12 now.

The DeMoivre's equaled 53/480 Im pretty sure, I just cant remember the integral

It was definitely 5π/12
Original post by js.int
It was definitely 5π/12

Okay. Boss.
Any clue on intergral for DeMoivre's?
For the Argand diagram, I converted the solutions into a+bi form (in decimals to 3sf) then plotted it like a coordinate system. Even though I did not write on the diagram which corresponds to which (in the form of e), Do you guys think I should get 2 out of 2 for that? My solutions are definitely correct and they are plotted on the right spots.
(edited 7 years ago)
Okay. Boss.
Any clue on intergral for DeMoivre's?

It's the integral of whatever (2isinx)^5 turns out to be between 0 and pi/3.
Original post by kelvin1338
For the Argand diagram, I converted the solutions into a+bi form (in decimals to 3sf) then plotted it like a coordinate system. Even though I did not write on the diagram which corresponds to which (in the form of e), Do you guys think I should get 2 out of 2 for that? My solutions are definitely correct and they are plotted on the right spots.

I think if your co-ordinates were accurate it may be fine, it didn't specify any particular way to sketch it. It's 1 mark for sure, probably 2, I'd go with yeah its worth 2 if they dont want each solution labelled on the diagram explicitly
Original post by Mattematics
It's the integral of whatever (2isinx)^5 turns out to be between 0 and pi/3.

Are you sure it is (2sinx)^5 and not just (sinx)^5?

(2sinx)^5 gives an answer 32 times larger than expected, funnily enough 2^5 = 32.
Here are my worked solutions to the FP2 paper, it would be good for someone to look through and double check the solutions. As this was recollected from memory (mine and others':wink: it may not be 100% accurate but should be close enough.

Q1:
1465431966368-1652154776.jpg

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

ucles sending.jpg

ucles sending.jpg

ucles sending.jpg
ucles sending.jpg

ucles sending.jpg

ucles sending.jpg

Q7 + Q8 will be in the post after this, can only have up to 10 attached files.

Edit: Please look at thumbnails as some links dont work, though the thumbnails do
(edited 7 years ago)
I think if your co-ordinates were accurate it may be fine, it didn't specify any particular way to sketch it. It's 1 mark for sure, probably 2, I'd go with yeah its worth 2 if they dont want each solution labelled on the diagram explicitly

Would you still get two marks for using different sf? I used 2sf for 0.26 and 3sf for 1.98 for some reason. I did however label each point.
Here are my solutions for Q7+8

1465433000891-1687578488.jpg
Attachment not found

Attachment not found

ucles sending.jpg

Apologies if any qyestions are mis-numbered and for the poor layout.

I hope this is useful, I believe this is mostly correct, if not completely. Feel free to correct me. Some questions can be done in many other ways

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending