The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GeniaUWL
Guyssss, i need some worda of reassurance. Basically i finished relationships and aggression comfortably but it got to eating and my mind went blank. Im so scared right now cause i wrote nothingggggg cause i couldnt remember nothingggggg. If i ace psya4 will that one essay affect it poorly?😢😢😢😢😢😢

I did the same (though I wrote about 3/5 marks worth of stuff down). I'm scared :frown:
Original post by bullseye1
Good, the unit 4 exam is definitely easier to get marks in! Hmm maybe they are but there are only a limited amount of questions that can possibly come up, which means you won't have to revise as much, plus research methods can pick you up a lot of marks without much revision! Yeah me too, taking a break until tomorrow morning and then I'll start.

nice to know you're doing the same! can i ask how you're gunna revise? are you gunna prioritise the predictions despite them being ambiguous?

and for research methods, do you or does ANYONE have any notes they can send me, i don't have any and i just need some concise things to revise from... thanks:smile:
I still argue the aggression question required two "explanationS" and people saying that for aggression, the s on the end of explanations doesn't mean you have to do more than one, I'm just gonna leave this here...
Screen Shot 2016-06-09 at 12.14.35 am.png

Basically, an aggression question with the exact same phrasing of the one in the exam today, "explanations", has a markscheme that stated only covering 1 explanation is showing a lack of breadth and marks are limited for only covering one explanation. The phrasing of the question is identical, the only difference is that the question is on institutional aggression and not evolutionary aggression. Therefore, I still think for the question in today's exam you needed to talk about 2 explanation to get full marks. The mark scheme states: "Although candidates are required to describe more than one explanation, there is no partial performance criteria on this question. Answers covering only one explanation will lack breadth and can earn a maximum of 6 marks for AO1"

Therefore, why should our exam question be any different? I rest my case...
Original post by evekay
nice to know you're doing the same! can i ask how you're gunna revise? are you gunna prioritise the predictions despite them being ambiguous?

and for research methods, do you or does ANYONE have any notes they can send me, i don't have any and i just need some concise things to revise from... thanks:smile:

Hmm well my college provided use with sheets of info covering all the theories we need to know, summed up concisely so all we have to do is memorise the sheets. Yes I will prioritise the predictions, as at least one of them is likely to be right! However I will revise all the other topics too! How will you revise?
Yeah, but what I'm saying is if you only wrote about, say, sexual jealousy, and not infidelity, or you wrote about only one aspect of group display, you are not demonstrating any breadth, which is what the 2011 paper required you to do. Therefore, your marks would be limited since you are not covering more than one explanation.

I did the 2011 question as practice and only talked about xenophobia, my teacher gave me 7/8 and 13/16, I trust their marking considering they're one of the principle examiners. I think this is a topic which has a lot of crossovers and distinguishing one explanation from another doesn't always work, so they're quite lenient with that. Even if someone loses marks for breadth in AO1, if it's not regarded as partial performance then it won't affect the AO2. Anyway, I'm still awaiting a reply from my teacher to confirm what we were supposed to do.
For biological explanations for AN i talked about neurotransmitters serotonin and dopamine and also talked about neural mechanisms saying LH and VMH damage can cause excessive hunger and people dont eat etc causing AN. Does neural mechanisms count as an biological explanation? ?
I still argue the aggression question required two "explanationS" and people saying that for aggression, the s on the end of explanations doesn't mean you have to do more than one, I'm just gonna leave this here...
Screen Shot 2016-06-09 at 12.14.35 am.png

Basically, an aggression question with the exact same phrasing of the one in the exam today, "explanations", has a markscheme that stated only covering 1 explanation is showing a lack of breadth and marks are limited for only covering one explanation. The phrasing of the question is identical, the only difference is that the question is on institutional aggression and not evolutionary aggression. Therefore, I still think for the question in today's exam you needed to talk about 2 explanation to get full marks. The mark scheme states: "Although candidates are required to describe more than one explanation, there is no partial performance criteria on this question. Answers covering only one explanation will lack breadth and can earn a maximum of 6 marks for AO1"

Therefore, why should our exam question be any different? I rest my case...

Surely a better way to judge this would be based on the 2011 evolution question which was identical apart from the marks? This mark scheme made no such comment. Institutional aggression is a different topic altogether, where there are very separate explanations, unlike with evolutionary explanations
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TMC113
I did the 2011 question as practice and only talked about xenophobia, my teacher gave me 7/8 and 13/16, I trust their marking considering they're one of the principle examiners. I think this is a topic which has a lot of crossovers and distinguishing one explanation from another doesn't always work, so they're quite lenient with that. Even if someone loses marks for breadth in AO1, if it's not regarded as partial performance then it won't affect the AO2. Anyway, I'm still awaiting a reply from my teacher to confirm what we were supposed to do.

Okay, but it seems everyone's teachers told them different things, so we don't know who's right! Also I wouldn't rely entirely on your teacher's marking, my unit 2 psychology AS paper got remarked from a D to an A - not all examiner's marking is accurate. Let me know what she says though, I'd like to know!
Reply 3908
I have been told this before, but you can easily find questions set by AQA that are identical, however in the markschemes the marking criteria varies a lot. Basically, I think it required you to talk about more than one explanation by discussing sexual jealousy and infidelity, because as you said, talking about one leads to talking about another, however hopefully they will count the two as separate explanation. However, some people are saying they either talked about one, either sexual jealousy or infidelity, or they only wrote about one aspect of group display, which means they aren't discussing more than one explanation like the questions asks for.

Surely infidelity and jealousy are linked together. For example, if a partner is having a relationship with another person the she is being unfaithful and the husband will suspect infidelity. This will lead to jealousy which will means that that the husband is likely use aggression and mate retention strategies and sometimes sexual coercion to prevent the women from acting unfaithful to him. By using this form of aggression, sexual coercion will prevent the wife from being unfaithful and enable the husband to pass on his genes.

How would you talk about it separate??

I wrote about group display (sport) and infidelity and jealousy together
Reply 3909
Original post by saran12
For biological explanations for AN i talked about neurotransmitters serotonin and dopamine and also talked about neural mechanisms saying LH and VMH damage can cause excessive hunger and people dont eat etc causing AN. Does neural mechanisms count as an biological explanation? ?

I talked about high levels of serotonin and over activity of dopamine as well as neurodevelopment problems. I also chucked in an evolutionary explanation, the reproduction suppression hypothesis at the end because it said one or more. I mean yes you could just do one, but I just added that in so I could get more marks because I felt as though the outline for neural explanations were too limited so wanted to increase that.
Original post by Onica
Surely infidelity and jealousy are linked together. For example, if a partner is having a relationship with another person the she is being unfaithful and the husband will suspect infidelity. This will lead to jealousy which will means that that the husband is likely use aggression and mate retention strategies and sometimes sexual coercion to prevent the women from acting unfaithful to him. By using this form of aggression, sexual coercion will prevent the wife from being unfaithful and enable the husband to pass on his genes.

Yeah, infidelity and jealousy are linked therefore are one explanation of aggression.
You need to write about both because the questions said "discuss explanation(s)" indicating they wanted more than 1 explanation written about. If you wrote about 2 different types of group display, war and sport, then that's two explanations which is fine but I think if you just wrote about sexual jealousy and infidelity that will count as only 1 explanation and you'd get half marks.

No you're wrong, because infidelity and jealousy are two separate explanations for aggression in humans, whilst sports and warfare are two different explanations for group display.
Original post by Onica

This is my point - I think infidelity and sexual jealousy may be counted as one explanation due to how linked they are! I did the same as you but wrote about warfare for group display. I did group display too because I thought infidelity and sexual jealousy was one explanation, and since the question asked for more than one, I thought I'd better throw group display in there too.
Original post by fabruttledge
No you're wrong, because infidelity and jealousy are two separate explanations for aggression in humans, whilst sports and warfare are two different explanations for group display.

Some people learnt it as one explanation, so you could be wrong too. I argue that sexual jealousy and infidelity and so closely linked and one is basically a result of the other, so AQA may count it as one explanation and I wouldn't be surprised if they did. I think they also wanted you to include a form of group display as a second explanation.
Reply 3914
Original post by TMC113

I have two psychology teachers and one is so strict and the other is so lenient. I did an essay once, and the teacher that is strict gave me a low mark even though I explained two in detail showing breath and depth. She's so strict it's unreal! She nit picks little things but I don't think examiners check every detail as they have so many to mark. However, my other teacher is lenient. I did a similar question and only included one explanation and got high marks. It really confused me with their markings as I didn't know who to believe. Are examiners that strict with marking?
Reply 3915
Really hope ive scraped an A* in this psych 3 exam but anyway i havent even started psych 4 revision LOL
Reply 3916
Original post by Anam
Really hope ive scraped an A* in this psych 3 exam but anyway i havent even started psych 4 revision LOL

I haven't started revising it either. What questions did you do? I feel like I'll get a B in that paper. Need AAB for Warwick so need a B overall in psychology.
Reply 3917
Original post by Allibay
I was so happy when I saw Piaget! That and bio explanations for AN softened the blow of GST :u:

Hey how was your structure for piagets essay? i described four of his stages and for A02 i used contradictory research for each of his theories e.g Bower and wishart and Hughes and one point on how his theory can be applied to education
Some people learnt it as one explanation, so you could be wrong too. I argue that sexual jealousy and infidelity and so closely linked and one is basically a result of the other, so AQA may count it as one explanation and I wouldn't be surprised if they did. I think they also wanted you to include a form of group display as a second explanation.

In the textbook written specifically for the AQA psychology examination, sexual jealousy and infidelity are set out as two different explanations. In loopa's A* essay he talks explicitly about these two also. There has also been a question in a previous year asking for explanations on sexual jealousy and/or infidelity - indicating that they are different. I understand that they are similar, but not the same. The AO1 was only worth 4 marks, so how people are stressing out about this is beyond me.

I think the wording in some questions 'including infidelity and/or jealousy' suggest it's technically 2 separate explanations, as otherwise, you wouldn't have the choice to ignore one. So I think that explanations regarding jealousy which refer to infidelity would do it

Latest

Trending

Trending