The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP2 Official 2016 Exam Thread - 8th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pixel_Green
Here are my worked solutions to the FP2 paper, it would be good for someone to look through and double check the solutions. As this was recollected from memory (mine and others':wink: it may not be 100% accurate but should be close enough.

Q1:
1465431966368-1652154776.jpg

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

ucles sending.jpg

ucles sending.jpg

ucles sending.jpg
ucles sending.jpg

ucles sending.jpg

ucles sending.jpg

Q7 + Q8 will be in the post after this, can only have up to 10 attached files.

Edit: Please look at thumbnails as some links dont work, though the thumbnails do

For the complex numbers questions, shouldn't the moduli be 2?
How many marks do you think we'd get for attempting to solve 4 c by parts but being unable to. Like 2 out of 7?
Original post by js.int

Yes
Original post by nthyy
Hey we meet again! LOL
I couldn't find any threads about IAL FP2 so i'm going to post my answers here!
i remembered some of the questions asked in this paper and the answers i have written were not nice at all :frown: i might have calculated some of the values wrongly...

1a,b) method of differences: partial fractions and prove
c) 5/51

2) Inequality: -1-√11 < x < -2 OR -1+√11 < x < 4

3) 1st order d. equations: y=(1+x)^(-k) [ 2x^(3/2)/3 + 2x^(5/2)/5 + C ]

4a) Series: f(x) = 1 - 9(x-π/3)^(2)/8 + 27(x-π/3)^(4)/128
b) 0.4815 (to 4 d.p) - i think i wrote 1.5xxx in my paper and it's wrong :frown:

5a) 2nd order d. equations: y = Ae^-x + Be^-2x + 17/4 - 7x/2 + 3x^(2)/2
b) I couldn't remember the values of x, y and dy/dx so idk LOL
I do remember the value of one of the constants is -5 though.

6) Transformation: (-5/8,0) for centre, 7/8 for radius
is there a part b) for question 6? If so, what is it about?

7a) Polar: (3√3/4, π/6)
b) Area: 105π/32 - 45√3/8

8a,b) Prove by de Moivre's theorem
c) I couldn't recall the limits, but if it's 0 and π/6, the value will be 203/408.. but i think there's xx√3 too

9a) Complex no.: Sketch graph
b) (√58 + 3√2)/2 (ARGH I FELT SO DEPRESSED WHEN MY MATHS TEACHER SHOWED ME THE SOLUTION OF THIS because I got it wrong t_t)

hope this helps :smile:
and i wish the grade boundaries will be lower since I've made a lot of careless mistakes sigh

Hi haha, will you take S2 and D1? We might see again haha

most of your answers are same with me so we will be fine i think xd

q5 should be -5 and 3/4
theres is no part b in q6 i remember, if there is, I'm in trouble coz i must have
skipped it LOL

The answers for this paper are so weird i have to say, ( those crazy fractions and surd)
Original post by Mathemagicien
Ah, but that way is no fun. :frown:

My working was about the same length though :tongue:

I'm probably too keen to turn normal problems into complex number problems, especially geometry ones. Just watch, I'd probably attempt a GCSE geometry problem by mapping it to the complex plane and stuff.

I remember Geography. So many case studies to learn... still,

Yeah, I considered that, I don't know why I didn't do it

When I saw the answer, I thought I must have done something horrendously wrong, since STEP has conditioned me to only expect nice answers. And to be fair, they didn't say "write your answer to 3 significant figures".

Thanks.

What topics do you hope will appear in STEP II?

I am best in integration, differential equations and series so any of that would be fine. I am also trying to get better at mech, vectors and complex numbers so I won't get completely rekt if they do come up a lot this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
For 4 c I think I forgot to put the y=0 when theta=0 and left it in the c form , how many marks would I lose? And for 8b I got around 34.6, I found the area of the two sectprs then integrated the circle between pi/2 and arccos (3/4) and then doubled it?
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JAllard
No, you can't - although you could swap D2 with any or your AS or A2 core or further applied modules.

Core Maths must include all four "C" modules + 2 electives

Further Maths must include FP1 plus and least one of the remaining two "FP" modules; then also 3/4 more electives to make it up to 6.

But that means I can? I would end up with FP1, FP2, M1, M2, S2 and D2 as further maths modules?
Original post by js.int

Yeah, I saw it now.

Rt(((8rt3)^2)+(8^2)) = rt(256) = 16
16^(1/4) = 2,
Indeed, my bad
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Pixel_Green
If it was z^4 as I recall then it is 8^(1/4) ~= 1.6...; 8^(1/3) = 2.

You can also check this way,
8^(1/4) = (8^(1/2))^(1/2)
8^(1/2) = 2rt(2)
So 8^(1/4) = rt(2rt2) = 1.6...

I thought it was 16^(1/4) for the moduli.
Original post by target21859
Would you still get two marks for using different sf? I used 2sf for 0.26 and 3sf for 1.98 for some reason. I did however label each point.

Your answers may have different sf but they have the same dp. Although I doubt they'd penalise you for different sf, I usually tend to go to 4 or 5dp in my answers in pure just to be safe if the answer is not exact, so I work either exact up to that point or to 6dp, then write my answer to about 4dp.

Depends what accuracy they want, though if you have a solid part (a) I think they'd give you 2 for (b) if your numbers were all accurate
Original post by highschool
How many marks do you think we'd get for attempting to solve 4 c by parts but being unable to. Like 2 out of 7?

2 or 3, M1 for doing integrating factor, M1 for attempting integral of RHS and correct LHS (i.e ye^2theta). And then 3 if they give you an A1 for the first integration that you did being correct, or if they give you A1 for your second integral being correct (if you got that far). Depends on Mark Scheme to be honest, I'm no expert on mark schemes but I'd think 2-3 sounds about right
How many marks was 3(b) ( the Arabs diagram). I don't even remember seeing that part of the question so think I accidentally missed that part out!!!
Original post by NamelessPersona

Yeah, it was, just saw my error, ty
(edited 7 years ago)
I think you guys are underestimating how far grade boundaries can drop. There was a year where an A* in C3 (or C4? Can't remember) was 59. And another when an A in M1 was 49. Obviously the fp2 won't drop that far but everyone I've seen so far said it was horrible.

We have 3 people with offers from Cambridge in our maths class and 2 of them were literally in tears after it. The other one just didn't want to comment. I'm sure there's many who still got around 70. But it was certainly a difficult paper. It certainly won't be anywherenear as high as 67 for an A* like some have said
Original post by josephinemar25
How many marks was 3(b) ( the Arabs diagram). I don't even remember seeing that part of the question so think I accidentally missed that part out!!!

2 marks I think; argand diagram
Original post by NamelessPersona

Yeah, sorry lol.
Reply 2176
I haven't read all the posts but did anyone get completely wrecked on that paper like honestly I believe I'd be lucky to get like an E. Can I take solace in anyone doing as bad as I?
Reply 2177
Original post by Student403
There's no such thing as your 3 "AS" modules in FM. So long as you have 3 A2 modules + FP1 (indeed M3, S2 and M2 count), you're fine

The above will only provide a total of 400 UMS. Don't we need 600 UMS for FM?
Original post by Datta10
For 4 c I think I forgot to put the y=0 when theta=0 and left it in the c form , how many marks would I lose? And for 8b I got around 34.6, I found the area of the two sectprs then integrated the circle between pi/2 and arccos (3/4) and then doubled it?
Posted from TSR Mobile

4c, I think you might lose M1A1.

8b, maybe you left a factor of 1/2 out on one of your sin(2theta)'s after integrating or worked to different sf? If you look at the method I did the same.
Original post by Jj15
The above will only provide a total of 400 UMS. Don't we need 600 UMS for FM?

you need 6 modules but the point is you don't need 3 of them to be AS

Quick Reply

Latest