The Student Room Group

6 Months for Rape? Oh no!

In true internet fashion, the public are lighting their torches, sharpening their pitchforks, and making petitions. Why? Brock Turner of Stanford University was recently sentenced to 6 months in prison for raping a girl behind a dumpster. You'll have to Google it because I'm not tech-savvy enough to copy and paste links on my cellphone.

A petition asking for the ruling judge to step down has already reached tens of thousands of signatures. Six months is far too lenient, apparently.

What do you think - is six months enough for rape? Are you angry that he didn't get more time? I've been thinking about it, and I don't have a problem with it. Something I've noticed about myself when it comes to these matters is that I like to put myself in the shoes of the perpetrator. What if it was me? What was going through my mind when I did it? What would be enough for me to learn my lesson, to do penance? People don't often do this, I find. Imagine yourself in prison for six months. And yes, imagine being raped (while unconscious). Is it even the true purpose of imprisonment to provide equivalent suffering, or is it to rehabilitate? Which is most important?

The controversy is also a race issue now, don't forget. Suddenly this is a case of 'white privilege.' Never mind OJ Simpson getting away with murder. Or that white guy on Making a Murderer being put away for life. I mean, imagine if he'd been black - that whole show would have been about how he was a victim of racism. "This doesn't happen to white people," we'd say, somehow forgetting that it does. Similarly, a white OJ Simpson getting off Scott free would've been held up as an example of 'white privilege.'

I've gone off topic...

Edit: This post is primarily an 'experimental' opinion that obviously hasn't gone down well. And that's fine. But I want people to consider different perspectives and contemplate the meaning and place of justice in society. Is it a primitive thirst for retribution that leads us to despise this sentence? Or is it something more objective and calculated? Will a 10 year sentence for this guy necessarily do anything pragmatic for anyone? Will it fix the problem? Will it mend what is already done? Or is it simply suffering for suffering that matters most?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I read about it this morning, and what he did was ****ing disgusting. 6 months? I think he should rot in prison tbh.

Anyone interested:
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jun/06/father-stanford-university-student-brock-turner-sexual-assault-statement
(edited 7 years ago)
If it were a black man, he'd be put in jail a lot longer. So either it is not a long enough sentence, or there is institutional racism against black people. Or both.
Original post by Dandaman1
What was going through my mind when I did it? What would be enough for me to learn my lesson, to do penance? People don't often so this, I find. Imagine yourself in prison for six months. And yes, imagine being raped (while unconscious).

So what do you think would be going through your mind when you were sexually assaulting an unconscious girl behind a rubbish bin and then ran away when some other students happened to see you and call you out on it?

"Turner faced a maximum of 14 years in prison but was given an unusually light sentence of six months in a county jail as the judge felt incarceration would have a “severe” impact on him."

Aww prison would be all scary for the poor boy, that's so ****** sweet isn't it.

That said....it depends how genuinely remorseful he is...is it a waste of resources to stick him in jail for X years? I'd at the very least like some restorative justice as well, he has to meet the victim (if she wants to) in a prison setting and explain to her his actions, it may help her as well. Possibly time seeing a rape crisis type centre, so he understands even what he MAY have thought wasn't a seriously wrong thing to do can be incredibly damaging, she could be impacted/damaged by this for along time.

Oh and of course the moral of the story is, if you want to try raping a girl behind the bins, make sure you're a nice upper class white lad and....

"In justifying the six-month sentence, Judge Persky said positive character references written on Turner’s behalf, such as that given by his father, had factored into his decision. His age, his lack of a criminal history, and the role that alcohol played in the assault were also mitigating factors."

Get your fam and friends to write how super awesome you are, try not to be too old, say 22 or below and make sure you've had a few, because alcohol absolves you of responsibility. Dust these ingredients with a few millions of dollars of defence lawyers who will ask your victim questions like "do you cheat on your boyfriends?". Once you've got your 6 months sentence don't settle, feel the need feel the greed, appeal it to try and get probation (with a very expensive well known appeals lawyer).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
I've also heard it shows how little society values women.

It is worth noting that they didn't actually prosecute him for rape he was charged with 3 different offences but he did definitely deserve longer.
Reply 5
I think six months is all right. The amount of times he'll get raped in prison will teach him to not do it again.
From what I can tell he's shown no remorse, and even after a unanimous decision convicting him of 3 felonies he still isn't admitting he did anything wrong. His father called it "20 minutes of action" in his open letter as well, so I'm very concerned he won't be in the slightest bit rehabilitated and may do something like this again.
Original post by Trapz99
I think six months is all right. The amount of times he'll get raped in prison will teach him to not do it again.

I bet you wouldn't say the same if it were a black rapist, or a white woman being raped.
Lol I just realised this is Current Affair,s I'm not staying here 😁
Original post by Multiculturalism
I bet you wouldn't say the same if it were a black rapist, or a white woman being raped.

Why are you making this about race, you racist.
Original post by Trapz99

Are you being serious? :/
Original post by WustacheMax
Why are you making this about race, you racist.

It is about race, I'm just pointing it out. To ignore the racism would be to be racist.

Anyway, dont quote me anymore, I have no interest in wasting my time with this audience.
Reply 12
Well as is nearly always the case, I think this guy's nearly on the money/makes some pertinent points

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjNxszyFPasDdRoD9J6X-sw

It seems sometimes that people think that a need for justice is the position of thinkers, of those with a rational outlook on the world, and mercy the position of feelers, of those who are too soft. Frankly, I think it is quite the opposite. The hunger for justice is more often than not a longing for some sort of cosmic equilibrium that is utterly impossible to attain, generated by childish feelings of "that's not fair!". Intuitively, it feels to me that such a short sentence is a bit strange and not "in proportion". But what actual good does punishing him do in the first place anyway? All it does is increase the suffering in the world. It would be entirely understandable if prison actually helped turn individuals like this into people who would never re-offend, and made them realise the utter horror of what they inflicted on someone else. I don't think that a longer sentence would do this, if anything the environment of prison seems more liable to worsen the obvious flaws in these people.
i recall reading that 6 months is 18 months short of the minimum sentence for such crimes. I don't know the details around California law, but a re-sentencing would be the minimum this piece of crap deserves.

As for his father, he has a serious case of denial. He writes as if his son is the victim who will be effected most. 've seen what rape does to people. How it can change an outgoing person into someone who won't leave the house, who develops issues with anorexia or self harm, who gains massive amounts of weight because they don't want to be perceived as a potential target, etc. Like most of the cases of sexual violence, the victim is likely to do the most punishment and suffering.
Original post by Quantex
As for his father, he has a serious case of denial. He writes as if his son is the victim who will be effected most. 've seen what rape does to people. How it can change an outgoing person into someone who won't leave the house, who develops issues with anorexia or self harm, who gains massive amounts of weight because they don't want to be perceived as a potential target, etc. Like most of the cases of sexual violence, the victim is likely to do the most punishment and suffering.

Well, she was unconcious at the time. Maybe no-one should have told her it happened:smile:
Original post by MildredMalone
Well, she was unconcious at the time. Maybe no-one should have told her it happened:smile:

Disgusting
Original post by MildredMalone

Are you being serious, that's just sick.
Original post by cookiemonster15
Are you being serious, that's just sick.

These people have some seriously ****ed up beliefs. Stay away from this part of TSR, its full of bigots. He probably thought that was a hilarious joke, well it wasnt.
Original post by Multiculturalism
Disgusting

How is that disgusting?
Original post by EricPiphany
How is that disgusting?

Wow

Brb, trying to find some more 'hilarious' rape jokes to post.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending