The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 2 Governing the UK (09/06/16)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mollyadtr
successes:
hra 1998
foi 2000
elected mayors
reform of judiciary - constitutional reform act 2005 - introduction of supreme courty
fixed term parliament 2011
recall 2015
further devolution powers granted to scotland and wales 2011/12
statutory register of lobbyists act 2014

failures:
electoral reform - democratisation
AV referendum 2011
hol reform removal of all but 92 hereditary peers
elected second chamber: lords reform bill withdrawn 2012
deduction of commons to 600mps - gerry mandering 2013

the question is how significant though
my teacher said you have to counter them like recall 2015 was good....but its not very flexible and does not hold mps into account enough
Original post by xxvine
how will we have time to write about like all 9 reforms? can somebody explain?

you wouldnt... just focus on 4 if its a 25 and 6 if its a 40, the post 2010 havent got as much depth/detail as the before reforms so you could put 2 in one pargraph and have 3 on the more important reforms and maybe 2 paragraphs on post 2010 in the 40 mark
[QUOTE="LennyBicknel;65591005"]
Original post by UKStudent17

Sounds good. Remind me what the Salisbury convention is - I can't remember :P is that the one where the Lords shouldn't block money or manifesto bills?

It means that the Lords won't oppose a second or third reading of government legislation promised in their manifesto. I'm not so sure about if they can block finance-based legislation, though.
Original post by xxvine
the question is how significant though
my teacher said you have to counter them like recall 2015 was good....but its not very flexible and does not hold mps into account enough

oh no that was to someone asking abouut successes and failures... but yeah youd have to evaluate reforms if it was significance
guys can someone clarify.
for a 40 marker, for example, how effective is parliament in checking executive power.
so i understand you need 2 sides of the argument, is that included as youe evaulation?
so is it (point for, explain, evaulate, link)x5 or is it (point for, explain, evaulate, link)x3 and then (point against, explain, evaulate, link)x2 ?

so basically does evaulation in each point count as a counterpoint or is it just a necessity to back up the point you have made?
[QUOTE="UKStudent17;65591141"]
Original post by LennyBicknel

It means that the Lords won't oppose a second or third reading of government legislation promised in their manifesto. I'm not so sure about if they can block finance-based legislation, though.

no they cant block finance legs if it has passed through the commons as theyre non elected they cant argue with the governmnet on financial bills
I read that there's currently a 'Wales Bill' being presented to Parliament which might link to constitutional reforms:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-36459733
[QUOTE="LennyBicknel;65591005"]

Sounds good. Remind me what the Salisbury convention is - I can't remember :P is that the one where the Lords shouldn't block money or manifesto bills?

manifesto bills can't block anything that was contained in its election manifsto
If its for a 40 marker on the constitutional reforms you need to Micro and Macro analyse each point so the points on successes and failures are what you need to talk about but also like why they have been failures within those introductions. For example, you could talk about the HRA and how it introduced the ECHR into British Law which was a step in the right direction to protect rights but it relies on court decisions to decide if laws are conducive which isn't binding on Parliament so it can simply be revoked by new statute as it was in 2005 following the ruling in 2003 on freezing terrorist assets. you would have to make 5 solid points and place counter arguments on each with examples to get up to anywhere above 20 marks or in a 40 marker
you wouldnt... just focus on 4 if its a 25 and 6 if its a 40, the post 2010 havent got as much depth/detail as the before reforms so you could put 2 in one pargraph and have 3 on the more important reforms and maybe 2 paragraphs on post 2010 in the 40 mark

i hope we don't get that

hate that question lol

do you need to know the dates of the bills or you say 'human rights act'
[QUOTE="mollyadtr;65591177"]

no they cant block finance legs if it has passed through the commons as theyre non elected they cant argue with the governmnet on financial bills

So how did they manage to block the tax credits bill?
Original post by tom476zf
guys can someone clarify.
for a 40 marker, for example, how effective is parliament in checking executive power.
so i understand you need 2 sides of the argument, is that included as youe evaulation?
so is it (point for, explain, evaulate, link)x5 or is it (point for, explain, evaulate, link)x3 and then (point against, explain, evaulate, link)x2 ?

so basically does evaulation in each point count as a counterpoint or is it just a necessity to back up the point you have made?

its up to you what youd do either of those are fine..choose the one youre comfortable with

i tend to pick a way parliament can check the executive explain it first and then evaluate it in the same paragraph- just so i know ill get the a03 marks so that if i run out of time i wouldnt be loosing marks
successes:
hra 1998
foi 2000
elected mayors
reform of judiciary - constitutional reform act 2005 - introduction of supreme courty
fixed term parliament 2011
recall 2015
further devolution powers granted to scotland and wales 2011/12
statutory register of lobbyists act 2014

failures:
electoral reform - democratisation
AV referendum 2011
hol reform removal of all but 92 hereditary peers
elected second chamber: lords reform bill withdrawn 2012
deduction of commons to 600mps - gerry mandering 2013

I wouldn't mention deduction of commons since it's happening, otherwise nice :tongue:
[QUOTE="UKStudent17;65591225"]

oh then i think i must be thinking about the finaincial budget of the government ..thats the only one they cant block if commons has passed it
Original post by xxvine
i hope we don't get that

hate that question lol

do you need to know the dates of the bills or you say 'human rights act'

probs not for before 2010 its just nice to include a couple of dates but i dont think it really gives you extra marks lol
i cant remember dates at all
Original post by alevelpain
I wouldn't mention deduction of commons since it's happening, otherwise nice :tongue:

oh is it? thanks for letting me know! :biggrin:
probs not for before 2010 its just nice to include a couple of dates but i dont think it really gives you extra marks lol
i cant remember dates at all

I'm actually sweating lol

thats how worried i am
Thought I'd mention about the Scotland Act of this year as it is a consequence of the referendum and gives greater power like rule over income tax and control of armed forces, to Scotland.
its up to you what youd do either of those are fine..choose the one youre comfortable with

i tend to pick a way parliament can check the executive explain it first and then evaluate it in the same paragraph- just so i know ill get the a03 marks so that if i run out of time i wouldnt be loosing marks

thanks :smile: how long generally are your evaulations in realtion to you original point?
[QUOTE="UKStudent17;65591225"]

Because tax credits wasn't a money bill :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest