The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 2 Governing the UK (09/06/16)

Scroll to see replies

do you think we will get a qu 'hol is more effective than the hoc checking gov power'
Original post by xxvine
I'm actually sweating lol

thats how worried i am

😂
Don't worry I'm just as nervous...I do my exams in a shared room cause of my bad anxiety,politics is defiantly pushing my anxiety

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mollyadtr
successes:
hra 1998
foi 2000
elected mayors
reform of judiciary - constitutional reform act 2005 - introduction of supreme courty
fixed term parliament 2011
recall 2015
further devolution powers granted to scotland and wales 2011/12
statutory register of lobbyists act 2014

failures:
electoral reform - democratisation
AV referendum 2011
hol reform removal of all but 92 hereditary peers
elected second chamber: lords reform bill withdrawn 2012
deduction of commons to 600mps - gerry mandering 2013

safe g but ive given up now, this was going to be kept as an AS level so i doubt i really need to do this, im just going to walk in a fail tbh cba. A2 exams more important
what are the constitutional reforms since 2010

i know fixed term parliament act, recall mps,
would you mention the failed av?

what else have i missed....
Reply 1224
Can someone give me an example of a successful opposition day please!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Last year we had a question about PM being a president and both PM and Parliament as 40 markers

So hopefully this year they are different sections and the question is about Prime Ministerial power and effectiveness of Parliament
Original post by tom476zf
thanks :smile: how long generally are your evaulations in realtion to you original point?

Uhhh I don't know, explanation of the function probably 1/3 of the paragraph and then the rest is evaluating it with examples...it depends how much argument I have for both sides, my paragraphs end up being 1/3 of the page or a bit more

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xxvine
what are the constitutional reforms since 2010

i know fixed term parliament act, recall mps,
would you mention the failed av?

what else have i missed....

Continued attempts at Lords reform: Lack of consensus between parties, only 7% on people polled in 2015 stated this was a priority to them.

Statutory register for lobbyists: trying to make the lobby system more open and democratic.

elected select committee chairs.
Original post by Hefty11
safe g but ive given up now, this was going to be kept as an AS level so i doubt i really need to do this, im just going to walk in a fail tbh cba. A2 exams more important

True but apparently a2 is 3x more work as as level...and if you retake these ones next year you'll have even more to stress about..so it's better to do what you can so hopefully you won't have to retake them next year if you're happy with your result

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would like Parliament to be a 40 marker tbh. With PM being a 25.

What I'm saying, really, is that I just don't want to do a constitution question :lol:
True but apparently a2 is 3x more work as as level...and if you retake these ones next year you'll have even more to stress about..so it's better to do what you can so hopefully you won't have to retake them next year if you're happy with your result

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can confirm this, A2 is so much harder and having to do retakes makes it so much worse.
Original post by Adam_Budd
Continued attempts at Lords reform: Lack of consensus between parties, only 7% on people polled in 2015 stated this was a priority to them.

Statutory register for lobbyists: trying to make the lobby system more open and democratic.

elected select committee chairs.

its doubtful they will say since 2010 right? because theres two few to talk too especially for a 40 marker
I'm doing some last minute revision, can anyone give me a hand on something? Do we need to know about the earlier HoL reforms or just the Blair ones and beyond? Thanksss I got about 4 hours sleep and I'm stressing
Any examples of judicial independence and neutrality? And then counter examples? Really struggling with those ones!!
Reply 1234
Im really sorry if these have already been posted here but if anyone has a plan please post it for these questions::::

Are judges too powerful? (40)

How effectively can the Judges control the executive? (40)
To what extent is the Judiciary both independent and neutral? ,"

Is the Uk consitituion outdated????
Original post by xxvine
its doubtful they will say since 2010 right? because theres two few to talk too especially for a 40 marker

They could do for like a 25 marker if its a source based question because you could find enough to talk about. It could also include 2015 agenda such as changes to involvement in Europe, British Bill of rights proposals and changes to Scottish devolved powers and granting more financial and legislative control to the Welsh Assembly.
Just a quick tip for those who are thinking of doing pm and cabinet!!
Using these 3/4 theories will improve your answers if you can't necessarily think of many examples!!
1: Foley: spatial leadership - quasi president (beyond primus inter pares)
2: Hennessy: context
3: Style Over Substance
4: Joans: elastic theory

Posted from TSR Mobile
are the following 25 markers one-sided?

Outline the case for a codified constitution in the UK?
 Make out a case against an elected second chamber.
Reply 1238
Just a quick tip for those who are thinking of doing pm and cabinet!!
Using these 3/4 theories will improve your answers if you can't necessarily think of many examples!!
1: Foley: spatial leadership - quasi president (beyond primus inter pares)
2: Hennessy: context
3: Style Over Substance
4: Joans: elastic theory

Posted from TSR Mobile

PLEASE elaborate on those theories and explain how it relates to a pm!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DeafeningSilence
Any examples of judicial independence and neutrality? And then counter examples? Really struggling with those ones!!

Things like the changes under the Constitutional Reform Act 2005:
Moving to a Supreme Court rather than HoL
Removing the Lord chancellor
Independent appointments committee.

Less independence:
More political involvement through judicial review
Conflicts in the public eye between ministers and judiciary (Clarke and Blunkett both criticised judiciary.
arguments over sentencing between ministers and judges and the introduction of the sentencing council, a political institution.

Quick Reply