The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP2 Official 2016 Exam Thread - 8th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

For the last question first part I wrote it as 0.722, -0.722 or something rather than plus/ minus arcosh(0.75). Would that still get marks cause it didn't say in exact form?
Just watched the Hitler video, lol.
Original post by Arsey

Seen the paper any thoughts? Boundary predictions? :P
arsey make a mark scheme!!
Original post by SB0073
64/65 for an A or A*?

A* I'm hoping. I think 64/75 is fairly standard mark for an A grade. So maybe a few marks lower for an A grade for this paper. 60/75 for an A perhaps?
For the De Moivre's theorem question, did you need to start by showing that z^n - z^-n = 2i sin theta? I just quoted it :frown:
Original post by DrownedDeity
Question didn't ask you to show it.

But it said 'Using De Moivre's Theorem'. Technically, z^n -z^-n = 2i sin theta is not De Moivre's Theorem, it's an application of it.
Original post by solid222
arsey make a mark scheme!!

Arsey's been told off by Edexcel for making them, he's posted somewhere on TSR (can't remember where sorry) that he'll stop making them out of respect for Edexcel.
Original post by sunsri101
But it said 'Using De Moivre's Theorem'. Technically, z^n -z^-n = 2i sin theta is not De Moivre's Theorem, it's an application of it.

I showed it just in case, cause doing the question without it would not have used de Moivre's
Original post by taichingkan
I showed it just in case, cause doing the question without it would not have used de Moivre's

Ok, would I have lost all the marks for not doing this?
someone needs to make a markscheme
Original post by Arsey

Hey Arsey, what do you think the A* boundary will be for this paper?

IIRC it was 5 marks, wasn't it? I'd say 2-3 marks tops.

Also, for the polar area question, I did C1-C2 instead of C1+C2, giving me an answer of 15ish instead of the 32.5 that most people seem to have got. If all the following working was correct, How many marks might I lose (I think that part Q was 7 marks)
IIRC it was 5 marks, wasn't it? I'd say 2-3 marks tops.

Yes it was. OK, thanks
Also, for the polar area question, I did C1-C2 instead of C1+C2, giving me an answer of 15ish instead of the 32.5 that most people seem to have got. If all the following working was correct, How many marks might I lose (I think that part Q was 7 marks)

You would get marks for integrating correctly and substituting limits. So I would have thought that you would get 4/7
You would get marks for integrating correctly and substituting limits. So I would have thought that you would get 4/7

Okay, thanks! How did you find the exam?

Being pedantic: z^(n) - z^(-n) = 2i sin (n theta)

Any application of the theorem would be classed as 'using' the theorem. After all, the method only works if the theorem does too.

I also did that, they might not give credit for it but it's better to be safe than sorry :smile:
Original post by Euclidean
Being pedantic: z^(n) - z^(-n) = 2i sin (n theta)

Any application of the theorem would be classed as 'using' the theorem. After all, the method only works if the theorem does too.

I also did that, they might not give credit for it but it's better to be safe than sorry :smile:

Yeah true, hopefully they give us full credit :/

If you're using an application of De Moivre's theorem you are implicitly using De Moivre's theorem.

They said "use". Surely then It stands to reason that I can use it packaged in an application?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending