The Student Room Group

6 Months for Rape? Oh no!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MildredMalone
Well, she was unconcious at the time. Maybe no-one should have told her it happened:smile:

wtf?
Not long enough at all

It should given the lack of remorse be the full sentence
Put yourself in that girls shoes... you wake up and two boys are looking after you and have a man pinned down because he's raped you while you were unconscious. You couldn't fight, you couldn't say no. Then his dad says that it was just "20 minutes of action" and he was a good kid. No good kid would do that.

With a father like his and knowing he's only got 6 months will not rehabilitate him. Once a rapist always a rapist.
Original post by Multiculturalism
Wow

Brb, trying to find some more 'hilarious' rape jokes to post.

I didn't read it as a joke.
Reply 24
Original post by Multiculturalism
If it were a black man, he'd be put in jail a lot longer. So either it is not a long enough sentence, or there is institutional racism against black people. Or both.

This.

Numerous studies have shown that young whites, especially from good families get the benefit of the doubt, etc. while blacks are punished in the extreme.

This case is just too good. It has the whole rape culture going on, male entitlement, it has a race issue.
Reply 25
Original post by Dandaman1
In true internet fashion, the public are lighting their torches, sharpening their pitchforks, and making petitions. Why? Brock Turner of Stanford University was recently sentenced to 6 months in prison for raping a girl behind a dumpster. You'll have to Google it because I'm not tech-savvy enough to copy and paste links on my cellphone.

A petition asking for the ruling judge to step down has already reached tens of thousands of signatures. Six months is far too lenient, apparently.

What do you think - is six months enough for rape? Are you angry that he didn't get more time? I've been thinking about it, and I don't have a problem with it. Something I've noticed about myself when it comes to these matters is that I like to put myself in the shoes of the perpetrator. What if it was me? What was going through my mind when I did it? What would be enough for me to learn my lesson, to do penance? People don't often so this, I find. Imagine yourself in prison for six months. And yes, imagine being raped (while unconscious). Is it even the true purpose of imprisonment to provide equivalent suffering, or is it to rehabilitate? Which is most important?

The controversy is also a race issue now, don't forget. Suddenly this is a case of 'white privilege.' Never mind OJ Simpson getting away with murder. Or that white guy on Making a Murderer being put away for life. I mean, imagine if he'd been black - that whole show would have been about how he was a victim of racism. "This doesn't happen to white people," we'd say, somehow forgetting that it does. Similarly, a white OJ Simpson getting off Scott free would've been held up as an example of 'white privilege.'

I've gone off topic...

Are you the boy's father? He thought, too, that prison and registering as a sex offender is too much for 20 minutes of action.
Original post by inhuman
This.

Numerous studies have shown that young whites, especially from good families get the benefit of the doubt, etc. while blacks are punished in the extreme.

This case is just too good. It has the whole rape culture going on, male entitlement, it has a race issue.

Completely. Article here shows similar situation where a black man raped an unconscious woman and got sentenced to life whilst this guy and his white, academic privilege gets 6 months.. The disparities in sentencing is shocking. http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/king-brock-turner-cory-batey-show-race-affects-sentencing-article-1.2664945
Reply 27
Original post by sazriah
Completely. Article here shows similar situation where a black man raped an unconscious woman and got sentenced to life whilst this guy and his white, academic privilege gets 6 months.. The disparities in sentencing is shocking. http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/king-brock-turner-cory-batey-show-race-affects-sentencing-article-1.2664945

I don't think words describe this.
Original post by EricPiphany
I didn't read it as a joke.

So you actually think that its okay to rape people if they are unconscious?
In true internet fashion, the public are lighting their torches, sharpening their pitchforks, and making petitions. Why? Brock Turner of Stanford University was recently sentenced to 6 months in prison for raping a girl behind a dumpster. You'll have to Google it because I'm not tech-savvy enough to copy and paste links on my cellphone.

A petition asking for the ruling judge to step down has already reached tens of thousands of signatures. Six months is far too lenient, apparently.

What do you think - is six months enough for rape? Are you angry that he didn't get more time? I've been thinking about it, and I don't have a problem with it. Something I've noticed about myself when it comes to these matters is that I like to put myself in the shoes of the perpetrator. What if it was me? What was going through my mind when I did it? What would be enough for me to learn my lesson, to do penance? People don't often so this, I find. Imagine yourself in prison for six months. And yes, imagine being raped (while unconscious). Is it even the true purpose of imprisonment to provide equivalent suffering, or is it to rehabilitate? Which is most important?

The controversy is also a race issue now, don't forget. Suddenly this is a case of 'white privilege.' Never mind OJ Simpson getting away with murder. Or that white guy on Making a Murderer being put away for life. I mean, imagine if he'd been black - that whole show would have been about how he was a victim of racism. "This doesn't happen to white people," we'd say, somehow forgetting that it does. Similarly, a white OJ Simpson getting off Scott free would've been held up as an example of 'white privilege.'

I've gone off topic...

Slap on the wrist would do.
The sentence is disgusting and just proves how the justice system does not bring justice. If that were the perpetrator's mother, girlfriend, sister being raped while unconscious, they'd make god damn sure the rapist wouldn't live another day of freedom.

Posted from TSR Mobile
He should have gotten more than an average sentence for rape as there was no possibility of any misread signals, no possibility of her having a drink but not drunk enough to invalidate her consent.
She was passed out. He rape her. Really simple.
Read his fathers comments and you will see where this scum got his ideas on consent from.
Read her moving statement to the court. Its amazing that the judge gave the sentence he did after that. To be honest I thought it was a British court when I saw the length.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by bethwalker85
knowing he's only got 6 months will not rehabilitate him. Once a rapist always a rapist.

I'm sure with a 20 year sentence he'd come out very rehabilitated. :rolleyes: As if there is any reason to think he should have a longer sentence other than punitive (and to keep him from the rest of society I suppose).
Reply 33

I've gone off topic...

Since it happened in America I could summarise it for you. A black man in North Carolina would get life in prison for it. Period.
Just 6 months in prison?

Is it even the true purpose of imprisonment to provide equivalent suffering, or is it to rehabilitate? Which is most important?

These two functions of prison are (should) not (be) the most important. One additional function is to take criminals off the streets so they do not cause harm themselves. But most importantly it is to deter future crime from happening due to others. Even if you could guarantee a criminal would never offend again it would not make sense to let him or her go free to save money, because it would make the same crime less unattractive to others in the future.
(edited 7 years ago)
OJ Simpson is ONE case does not factor out how many thousands of black rapists in US are sentenced! Idiot OP.

Good he got a jail term. He'll be a ***** in prison.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The judge said he didn't think he should have to spend the rest of his life paying for a misjudgement one night.

Little did he realise that the victim will be paying for this for the rest of her life.
Reply 38
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I'm sure with a 20 year sentence he'd come out very rehabilitated. :rolleyes: As if there is any reason to think he should have a longer sentence other than punitive (and to keep him from the rest of society I suppose).

Whatever your views are on success of rehabilitation, at a very base level this is also about punishment.

And 6 months is a ****ing joke for rape.
Original post by sazriah

Why are you comparing this case with a case from the USA?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending