The Student Room Group

AQA AS Chemistry 7404/1 and 7404/2 - 27th May 2016 and 10th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by creative_lad28
I predict that, as well as all the Organic topics and Kinetics, this paper 2 will have energetics and equilibria on it as they were barely touched in paper 1 even though they're across both papers. Although they still could be evil and throw it in, Bonding was heavily on paper 1 so I don't think there'll be many bonding q's (probably a few multiple choices I reckon). Amount of substance is bound to reappear - i think we'll get some general moles stuff (the easy triangle formulae) considering paper 1 had amount of substance q's involving the horrible titrations and that ridiculous physics question!!!!!

I agree - defo the topics on maxwell boltzmann distribution curves, there were a couple in one of the spec papers they released. That same physics question was made easier in paper 1 than how they did it in the specimen paper. I made sure I learnt how to do it for safe measure and turns out it came up - so I'm using the same strategy now for paper 2, to look at the spec paper and note which ones are the most difficult questions. And there's bound to be another practical question, this time on like making a pure sample of cyclohexene.
Yeah and for equilibria it will probably be Kc since that is new for the AS course and definitely lots of mechanisms for organic imo
hopefully purification and stuff on cyclohexene comes up
hey where in the spec does it say we need to know the cyclohexene experiment?
Distillation of an organic product is part of the required practicals, so the dehydration of alcohol - but also if you have the book they do go over purification which includes a "second distillation". I think there's some videos on youtube about it from the royal society of chemistry - and they go over the steps pretty well so it's nice to remember the process from there.
oh and let's not forget that enthalpy and calorimetry questions may come up.
Original post by jessnrm
oh and let's not forget that enthalpy and calorimetry questions may come up.

AQA missed this in paper 1, so it's defos poppin up this time
Work hard and that yehhhhhhhh
Are halogens in the second paper?
Could someone please state all the practices we need to know for tomorrow?...I'm confused to which ones we need to know for the exam...
Original post by AdamWallisjr
Could someone please state all the practices we need to know for tomorrow?...I'm confused to which ones we need to know for the exam...

1. Making a volumetric solution
2. Simple acid base titration
3. Calorimetry
4. Investigating rates of change
5. Distillation of ethanol and water
6. Obtaining cyclohexene from cyclohexanol
7. Test tube reactions of organic functional groups
Original post by Pink1998
Are halogens in the second paper?

Nope, the topics on the second paper are:

-Organic chemistry (inc: alkanes, haloalkanes, alkenes,alcohols,organic analysis)
-Amount of substance
-Bonding
-Energetics
-Kinetics
-Eqilibria
What is a good resource for learning the methods of the practicals particullarly distillation? Because the cgp revision guide method is a bit different to the one in my pag booklet help plz
Hi

This is an excellent resource for practical revision. Here is the link for distillation:

http://www.rsc.org/learn-chemistry/resource/res00001070/distillation?cmpid=CMP00001936#!cmpid=CMP00001936

All the RSC stuff is very good.

Good luck

Alex
Original post by The Panic Queen
Nope, the topics on the second paper are:

-Organic chemistry (inc: alkanes, haloalkanes, alkenes,alcohols,organic analysis)
-Amount of substance
-Bonding
-Energetics
-Kinetics
-Eqilibria

Thank you
I don't remember Equilibria coming up much on paper 1 either so I'd go over that...
Original post by ajsullivan
Hi

This is an excellent resource for practical revision. Here is the link for distillation:

http://www.rsc.org/learn-chemistry/resource/res00001070/distillation?cmpid=CMP00001936#!cmpid=CMP00001936

Good luck

Alex

Do we have to know all the practicals ? Or just the ones relavent to organic Chemistry?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sanniabir
Do we have to know all the practicals ? Or just the ones relavent to organic Chemistry?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you look in your text book the practicals are in specific sections so the most obvious answer would be to check for specifics. As far as I know however it is not that specific in the specification. Bearing in mind you have already sat paper 1 I would like to think you probably know those ones already so perhaps just focus on the ones you don't!?

Alex
Original post by ajsullivan
Hi

Good luck

Alex

watched the videos for fractional distillation I sitll dont understand the method
Original post by Sanniabir

Posted from TSR Mobile

Revise all of them

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending