The Student Room Group

Edexcel S1 - 15th June, 2016 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by KloppOClock
okay i literally remember nothing of this moduls, i have 7 days to learn it. Where do I start, questions by topic, just straight into past papers?

I'm in the same position as you, my main focus was c1 and c2 and also other subjects. I think you should go through the textbook making sure you take note of the the information on the 'summary of key points' pages. Once you're done with each chapter, do about 3 past paper questions on them. It shouldn't take too long and once you're done with that, you can move on to whole past papers. :smile:
Original post by Najlac
I'm in the same position as you, my main focus was c1 and c2 and also other subjects. I think you should go through the textbook making sure you take note of the the information on the 'summary of key points' pages. Once you're done with each chapter, do about 3 past paper questions on them. It shouldn't take too long and once you're done with that, you can move on to whole past papers. :smile:

sounds like a good idea, but first i think ill need to make condensed notes on each section first. thanks for the advice!!
Reply 122
sounds like a good idea, but first i think ill need to make condensed notes on each section first. thanks for the advice!!

You're welcome!
Subbed!
https://0120b046f61e7ee5f95eb13150514beb86ae661f.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYTWtJbXRsQTFDbEE/for-Edexcel/Solomon%20C%20QP%20-%20S1%20Edexcel.pdf

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^qn 5 part c ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

https://0120b046f61e7ee5f95eb13150514beb86ae661f.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYTWtJbXRsQTFDbEE/for-Edexcel/Solomon%20C%20MS%20-%20S1%20Edexcel.pdf

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ markscheme ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

surely this is wrong as 23 - 25 = -2 not +2 hence the z value used is wrong.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by tazza ma razza
https://0120b046f61e7ee5f95eb13150514beb86ae661f.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYTWtJbXRsQTFDbEE/for-Edexcel/Solomon%20C%20QP%20-%20S1%20Edexcel.pdf

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^qn 5 part c ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

https://0120b046f61e7ee5f95eb13150514beb86ae661f.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYTWtJbXRsQTFDbEE/for-Edexcel/Solomon%20C%20MS%20-%20S1%20Edexcel.pdf

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ markscheme ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

surely this is wrong as 23 - 25 = -2 not +2 hence the z value used is wrong.

yh it should be 1- P(z<0.5)
Is there a rule for S1 of when to round to 3sf or 1dp?
Okay just done my first paper:
Jan 2010 - 48/75 - D

Have some questions:
Where can I find what discrete data is, and what the opposite is?
When do I use (n+1)/2 vs (n+1)?

thats pretty much it, rest of the marks i lost cuz i didnt know formula, and I didn't get a single mark on the large normal distribution question.
Okay just done my first paper:
Jan 2010 - 48/75 - D

Have some questions:
Where can I find what discrete data is, and what the opposite is?
When do I use (n+1)/2 vs (n+1)?

thats pretty much it, rest of the marks i lost cuz i didnt know formula, and I didn't get a single mark on the large normal distribution question.

Discrete data is data that can ONLY take whole numbers, and stuff like 18.5, 19.3, 2.7 etc do not make sense. Eg number of coaches - you cannot have 14.7 coaches, only 15, 14 etc.

Continuous data is.. well, nice way to remember it is a continuous number line and how the data can take any value of it. Eg height can be 180.5cm or rainfall can be 15.3mm etc.

(n+1)/2 and n/2.. I do not know myself, sorry :colondollar:
Original post by SeanFM
Discrete data is data that can ONLY take whole numbers, and stuff like 18.5, 19.3, 2.7 etc do not make sense. Eg number of coaches - you cannot have 14.7 coaches, only 15, 14 etc.

Continuous data is.. well, nice way to remember it is a continuous number line and how the data can take any value of it. Eg height can be 180.5cm or rainfall can be 15.3mm etc.

(n+1)/2 and n/2.. I do not know myself, sorry :colondollar:

thank you for the help!
How do you do part d? Could someone explain to me what happens to the S values if you code please?
Original post by target21859
How do you do part d? Could someone explain to me what happens to the S values if you code please?

Sxx = sum of (x - mean of x) squared.
so you have to divide by 1000^2
Original post by mahmzo
Can someone explain why sometimes you used n+1/2 and sometimes n/2 for the median. Which one do I use and where.

Anyone have tips on how to not make stupid mistakes. I am scared ill make a stupid mistake part a and carry it through to part f. ;(

I need to get at least 65 to make sure I have a solid A. I got 60/75 for C1 and 70/75 for C2

You can use both, as they are pretty much the same, except that (n+1)/2 is a rounded version of n/2 (so if you use n/2 round it).

Original post by imran_
Graphical calculators are banned for this exam?

They aren't, but there is a list of banned calculators here. Besides most invigilators won't be able to notice.
Original post by 4nonymous
Sxx = sum of (x - mean of x) squared.
so you have to divide by 1000^2

Oh yeah I remember now thanks
I am failing so hard at these normal distribution questions.
Original post by kkboyk
You can use both, as they are pretty much the same, except that (n+1)/2 is a rounded version of n/2 (so if you use n/2 round it).

They aren't, but there is a list of banned calculators here. Besides most invigilators won't be able to notice.

Do a lot of past papers under timed conditions. You'll get faster and faster as you practise more. This allows for you to hopefully have enough time at the end to check all your answers. Usually I spend a bit more time in the earlier parts of a question (double checking) so that an error doesn't carry forward.
I am failing so hard at these normal distribution questions.

Follow this advice by the user below, and try using ExamSolutions.

Original post by target21859
Do a lot of past papers under timed conditions. You'll get faster and faster as you practise more. This allows for you to hopefully have enough time at the end to check all your answers. Usually I spend a bit more time in the earlier parts of a question (double checking) so that an error doesn't carry forward.

You replied to the wrong person :tongue:
Does anyone have any advice with dealing with normal distribution questions? I understand the basics of it but have difficultly when they're put in to real life context.
Original post by kkboyk

Oh yeah just noticed xD
Original post by kkboyk

Thanks for the advice, only done two papers so far, but at least I improved a tiny bit from the last one

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending