Maths AQA Spec B Calc thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by AlexMB9
I'm sure the final solutions were these
http://prntscr.com/be9rjd

Ay safe :wink:
Oops !! That's what I meant lol -0.78 -2.55
For the probability of picking two black counters, was the black counter replaced after the first pick?
Original post by xy_
For the probability of picking two black counters, was the black counter replaced after the first pick?

I don't think so. I read it as they pick two counters at once. There was no mention of conditional probability but it wasn't clear
I have an unofficial markscheme if anyone's interested:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4153217

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by harry42
I don't think so. I read it as they pick two counters at once. There was no mention of conditional probability but it wasn't clear

Hmm. I wasn't sure. I thought they were replaced. But just in case I put a note on the side giving the answer for if they weren't replaced cause I wasn't sure.
Original post by Miz9
What did you get for the probability tree diagram question?? And the cosine one?

For the probablity one, something like 7/13?

Was the cosine one the one where they gave you three sides and you had to work out the angle? I didn't do that one.
Did anyone else feel they messed this up?

I was aiming for an A* overall and the non calculator paper went quite well, I only missed out about 6 marks out of the total 70 marks and I was quite confident with the rest of my answers so I'm hoping for around 57/70.

But, with this paper I became incredibly stressed out 45 minutes before the end and was shaking so much I could barely write, because I still had 30+ marks to go and was quite confused with some questions :frown:. I managed to turn it around a bit and do most of the remaining questions, I ended up only missing out 11 marks out of 105, I was fairly confident in the rest of my answers though so I'm thinking I'll get around 85/105.

Hopefully I'll still be able to scrape the A*, it'll be annoying though because some of the questions I could've done but messed up due to nervousness and I think I'll likely be on the A/A* borderline, so those marks will be the grade difference :redface:
Reply 108
Original post by starstudent7
What did you get for the bearings question, I got 120km.:smile: Also for the question with a white rectangle inside a large rectangle?:smile:

What did you get for the perimeter question? The sector one I think it was?
Original post by KomradeKorbyn
Did anyone else feel they messed this up?

I was aiming for an A* overall and the non calculator paper went quite well, I only missed out about 6 marks out of the total 70 marks and I was quite confident with the rest of my answers so I'm hoping for around 57/70.

But, with this paper I became incredibly stressed out 45 minutes before the end and was shaking so much I could barely write, because I still had 30+ marks to go and was quite confused with some questions :frown:. I managed to turn it around a bit and do most of the remaining questions, I ended up only missing out 11 marks out of 105, I was fairly confident in the rest of my answers though so I'm thinking I'll get around 85/105.

Hopefully I'll still be able to scrape the A*, it'll be annoying though because some of the questions I could've done but messed up due to nervousness and I think I'll likely be on the A/A* borderline, so those marks will be the grade difference :redface:

Yes. I'm in the same boat as you. I was aiming for an a*. Non-calc went good but I screwed today up. I'm not so sure I've managed to scrape it - annoying as I got a* in my mocks, going down a grade would be bad.
Original post by Miz9
What did you get for the perimeter question? The sector one I think it was?

46.9cm.
Original post by surina16
Oh how did you get to your answer? I know loads of people who got the same so you're probably right.
I said that the length of the triangle was x, and then worked out the height of it using Pythagoras etc. Then did base * height * 0.5 * 4 = 8, rearranged everything to find x, and then substituted this value of x into the expression for the height of the triangle.
Typing this out is making me feel like that was the wrong method lmao :lol:

I did something VERY similar and I am pretty sure it was right, it cannot be 2m don't work that is far too simple and it does not make sense you cannot have an equilateral with sides of 2m and then a height of 2m. It's simply not possible.

I got the height to be something like 1.5 which therefore meant that tent was in fact not high enough at the highest point for him to stand up.
Original post by xy_
Yes. I'm in the same boat as you. I was aiming for an a*. Non-calc went good but I screwed today up. I'm not so sure I've managed to scrape it - annoying as I got a* in my mocks, going down a grade would be bad.

Yeah we did exactly the same from the sounds of it :smile: I also got an A* in the mocks we did after Easter (these were the second set of mocks where we only did English/maths/science) so it's a bit of a kick in the teeth to go down a grade, but then in the mocks I revised a ton as there were only five exams spread over weeks, whereas now I have 4 other exams in the same week as the calculator paper.

I think I'm likely going to end up one or two marks below the A* threshold, which is annoying because in that trigonometry question where you had to find the angle X I got confused and didn't know what to do so just left it then couldn't think under the stress, when looking back on it it was pretty easy, and those three marks might cost me the grade :frown: Ah well, can't change it now I suppose.
Original post by xy_
Hmm. I wasn't sure. I thought they were replaced. But just in case I put a note on the side giving the answer for if they weren't replaced cause I wasn't sure.

Picking TWO counters suggests that they are NOT replaced. By taking two you have to actually have 2 counters not just take one put it back take one.
Original post by FenixZ
Picking TWO counters suggests that they are NOT replaced. By taking two you have to actually have 2 counters not just take one put it back take one.

I wasn't sure because on past papers such as this one (question 22) it specifically says it wasn't replaced.
Original post by studentshavefun
How did u do the bounds question

take the upper bound of the weight of a bag of screws (can't remember exact fig, sorry) and the lower bound of the weight of a bag of nails. Mulitply the screws by 6 and the nails by 4, therefore showing that by using the upper and lower bounds, the screws could be shown to weigh more than the nails.
Reply 116
Original post by xy_
46.9cm.

How did you work that out?
I got: 270 over 360 and I multiplied it by 2 and pie and the radius(7) and I got 32. Something
Original post by Miz9
How did you work that out?
I got: 270 over 360 and I multiplied it by 2 and pie and the radius(7) and I got 32. Something

14pi / 360 * 270 then add 14 is what i did.

14pi to get full circumference.
Divide by 360 to get perimeter of 1 degree.
Times by 260 to get full arc.
Add 14 for the two radi.
I think that was right.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by fettucinisue
take the upper bound of the weight of a bag of screws (can't remember exact fig, sorry) and the lower bound of the weight of a bag of nails. Mulitply the screws by 6 and the nails by 4, therefore showing that by using the upper and lower bounds, the screws could be shown to weigh more than the nails.

Was it to weight more or weight the same?
Original post by xy_
Was it to weight more or weight the same?

more I think?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending