The Student Room Group

Homogenous and Hetrogenous Catalyst Help?

I can't seem to wrap my head around what these catalysts are and how to distinguish if a catalyst is homogenous or heterogenous so if anyone can help explain I would really appreciate it.

I also have a question on it:

A solid catalyst, Vanadium (V) Oxide, V2O5, is used in industry to increase the rate of production of Sulfur Trioxide, SO3, in this reaction.

2SO2 (g) + O2 (g) -><- 2SO3(g). ( -><- means reversible reaction)

Explain, with a reason, whether V2O5 is a homogenous or heterogenous catalyst.
Homogeneous means that the catalyst and the products/reactants are in the same chemical state or phases (solid/liquid/gas). Heterogeneous means that the catalyst and the products/reactants are in different chemical states or phases. Look at the information given in the question and you should figure this out c:

Original post by SultanOE
I can't seem to wrap my head around what these catalysts are and how to distinguish if a catalyst is homogenous or heterogenous so if anyone can help explain I would really appreciate it.

I also have a question on it:

A solid catalyst, Vanadium (V) Oxide, V2O5, is used in industry to increase the rate of production of Sulfur Trioxide, SO3, in this reaction.

2SO2 (g) + O2 (g) -><- 2SO3(g). ( -><- means reversible reaction)

Explain, with a reason, whether V2O5 is a homogenous or heterogenous catalyst.
Reply 2
Original post by GetOverHere
Homogeneous means that the catalyst and the products/reactants are in the same chemical state or phases (solid/liquid/gas). Heterogeneous means that the catalyst and the products/reactants are in different chemical states or phases. Look at the information given in the question and you should figure this out c:

So its Homogenous since they are all gases?

You're looking at the balanced equation, which doesn't include the catalyst. The answer is in the bit above the equation.
Is this AS AQA?
Reply 5

heterogenous since vandium is a solid , its given in the first few words
Reply 6
Original post by GetOverHere
You're looking at the balanced equation, which doesn't include the catalyst. The answer is in the bit above the equation.

I don't get it ;/
Reply 7
Original post by djmans
heterogenous since vandium is a solid , its given in the first few words

Ohh right, I understand now, thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest