The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by brown_eyes
Does anybody have an essay plan/ essay on diagnosis and classification of depression? I missed the beginning of the school year and I'm finding this difficult :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I have an A grade one.
Here are some points you can make:

1) Different parts of the world use different classification systems. Europe use the ICD, UK and USA use DCM - problems with cultural variations in diagnosis.

2) The DCM 3 was created in an attempt to improve reliability but Whaley found low inter-rater reliability even with the use of this updated classification system, with a correlation of 0.11.

3)Mojtab and Nicholson - Interpretation of key schizophrenic symptoms are unreliable. Correlation of only 0.4 when asking doctors to distinguish between "bizarre" and "non bizarre" delusions.

4) Copeland - more evidence for cross cultural issues. Description of Sz patient given to American as UK doctors. 62% of american diagnosed patient with Sz compared to 2% of UK.

5) Rosenhan - sent normal patients into a hospital complaining of delusions, but doctors didnt realise they were normal. Issues of labelling.

6) Co-morbidity (Ellason and Ross) - People with DID had more Sz symptoms than those actually diagnosed with Sz,

7) Clear diagnosis should provide clear prognosis but outcomes for Sz patients vary greatly.

8) Ethnic minorities are disproportionately over diagnosed. May be their foreign culture is misinterpreted as abnormal.

9) Correct diagnosis is important because early diagnosis has been shown to improve recovery.
Original post by indiep4
yeah i have an a grade one.
Here are some points you can make:

1) different parts of the world use different classification systems. Europe use the icd, uk and usa use dcm - problems with cultural variations in diagnosis.

2) the dcm 3 was created in an attempt to improve reliability but whaley found low inter-rater reliability even with the use of this updated classification system, with a correlation of 0.11.

3)mojtab and nicholson - interpretation of key schizophrenic symptoms are unreliable. Correlation of only 0.4 when asking doctors to distinguish between "bizarre" and "non bizarre" delusions.

4) copeland - more evidence for cross cultural issues. Description of sz patient given to american as uk doctors. 62% of american diagnosed patient with sz compared to 2% of uk.

5) rosenhan - sent normal patients into a hospital complaining of delusions, but doctors didnt realise they were normal. Issues of labelling.

6) co-morbidity (ellason and ross) - people with did had more sz symptoms than those actually diagnosed with sz,

7) clear diagnosis should provide clear prognosis but outcomes for sz patients vary greatly.

8) ethnic minorities are disproportionately over diagnosed. May be their foreign culture is misinterpreted as abnormal.

9) correct diagnosis is important because early diagnosis has been shown to improve recovery.

you said depression that was schizophrenia omg sorry
Original post by evekay
5-6 is a lot isnt it? i've always used 4, isn't it basically the same as the psya3 exam? (this is for 20-24 markers)

It includes research studies and their evaluation. As we have longer to write the essays and don't need IDA's, points don't have to be as detailed as in PSYA3. I normally get around 20-24 in PSYA4 so it must be working 😆

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Elle_w
It includes research studies and their evaluation. As we have longer to write the essays and don't need IDA's, points don't have to be as detailed as in PSYA3. I normally get around 20-24 in PSYA4 so it must be working 😆

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh fair enough! i'm struggling with them aha, do you have an essay you could send me so i can get an idea of how much to write and the structure and stuff? would be so helpful:smile:
Original post by evekay
oh fair enough! i'm struggling with them aha, do you have an essay you could send me so i can get an idea of how much to write and the structure and stuff? would be so helpful:smile:

Which one would you like to see?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Elle_w
Which one would you like to see?

Posted from TSR Mobile

do you have one for schizophrenia? any will do:smile:
Original post by evekay
do you have one for schizophrenia? any will do:smile:

Sure, I'll PM you now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Elle_w
I normally do 5/6 A02 points and yeah I think IDA's count if they are on a major issue with research but I wouldn't include more than 1 in each essay.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Perfect thank you!

Do you think 4 is enough
I can't cope with learning 6 😭🔫
Original post by Elle_w
Sure, I'll PM you now

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would you mind sending it to me too, thanks :smile:)
Original post by NHM
Pretty sure it was 51 last year?

Ah that's not too bad .. how many marks is in the whole paper?

Original post by кяя
Thank you!! Do you think I can get a good mark on it despite only starting now?

Yeah i think so. I revised psya3 in 3 days and I think I did a pretty good job :redface: All nighters are always a thing
Please can someone help me, I am unsure how many explanations for each biological and psychological explanations I need to know! :frown:

For Bio explanations can I just know about Genetics and The Dopamine Hypothesis and for Psych can I just know about Psychodynamic and Cognitive, or do I need to know about behavioural and socio-cultural also????
Original post by Tinksy
Please can someone help me, I am unsure how many explanations for each biological and psychological explanations I need to know! :frown:

For Bio explanations can I just know about Genetics and The Dopamine Hypothesis and for Psych can I just know about Psychodynamic and Cognitive, or do I need to know about behavioural and socio-cultural also????

Just need to know two explanations for each

They would say one or more or two
Doubt they would ask for 3 explanations xx
Original post by Marli-Ruth
Just need to know two explanations for each

They would say one or more or two
Doubt they would ask for 3 explanations xx

Thank you so very much for replying! x I'm just feeling a bit overwhelmed by how much I need to start learning haha
Reply 4113
Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM
Lol its not about pussy its more of it would be abit weird for me to do a completely new topic when i was taught something else even though i barely remember anything from addiction... Really dont know what do.

Media is easy ngl
Original post by NHM
Media is easy ngl

I dont think im going to change topics too much of a risk to learn an entire new topic in a few days i mean even if its easy i would have to learn everything from scratch
I have a classification and diagnosis essay here if anyone wants it! It's a bit long I think but it has some good points and studies in as well as consequences.
Original post by Tinksy
Thank you so very much for replying! x I'm just feeling a bit overwhelmed by how much I need to start learning haha

It's alright
Me too 😭😭 I'm making my way through schizophrenia 😭😪
Hey guys,
For PSYA4 I'm doing Schizophrenia, Media and of course psychological research and scientific methods but quick question. How long roughly should we spend on each topic in the exam, I know the first 2 carry 24 marks, similar to PSYA3. Does that mean 30 means on each of them and the final hour dedicated solely to research methods? Open to opinions and suggestions, I'm a self learning student so don't have a teacher to fall back onto about it!
I just read a Jan 2013 question asking for evolutionary *explanations* including Jealousy *and/or* infidelity, and the markscheme literally says that candidates can use jealousy and infidelity for the ENTIRE 24 mark answer, or give a general essay focusing on evolutionary explanations for aggression. Now surely the and/or strongly implies that they are two separate explanations, rather than two things grouped into one.
what was the aggression question on in PSYA3?

Latest

Trending

Trending