The Student Room Group

Edexcel maths 2016 paper 2

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mummy2maisie123
Hmm I put 3.7 too :/

Did you try doing 3.75? If not, then that's probably why you got 3.7.
Original post by leafcannon
Did you try doing 3.75? If not, then that's probably why you got 3.7.

I did do 3.75 but in the end I just subtracted the answers I got for 3.7 and 3.8 from the 34 and 3.7 seemed closer by 0.0.... Something so I just went with that and hoped for best! Lol
Original post by mummy2maisie123
I did do 3.75 but in the end I just subtracted the answers I got for 3.7 and 3.8 from the 34 and 3.7 seemed closer by 0.0.... Something so I just went with that and hoped for best! Lol

You will at least get 2 of the marks for that question.
Reply 23
Original post by aisha591
What did u guys get for how much collins journey costs

The answer is £42.29 but i wrote £42.30 so how many marks will i lose?
Reply 24
Original post by James2021
The angle was 75, the diameter of the inner sector was 12 and the diameter of the outer sector was 20. Then you had to add both the 4s. I'll let you do the maths xD

i think you may have found something different to what the question asked..
(i remember what i wrote now haha)
Question: length of perimeter of the shaded region (region had 2 arcs on either side, and 4cm on one of the straight sides telling us the length of the radius of that arc and also the other side of the shaded region's lenght - 4cm as well)

arc length = angle/360 x 2 x pi x radius

the radius was stated as 10cm in total (split between 6cm for the first sector and then 4cm for end part), so the length for the smaller arc was:
75/360 x 2 x pi x 6 = 7.853981634

length of the longer arc (the outside one):
75/360 x 2 x pi x 10 (the total radius) = 13.08996939

now to find total perimeter of the shaded part, just add those 2 arc lengths together = 20.94395102, and then add the two 4cm onto it, giving a final perimeter of the shaded region being 28.9 cm (1 D.C), - almost mid twenties XD
its 3.8
what i did to find the nearest was to subtract the answer of 3.7 from 36 then found out that the difference was somwhere 1.780 but
with 3.8 the difference was -1.738 so 3.8 was closer
Did anyone else find the test hard? I'm really worried now. Found the 1st test easier. I didn't do last 2 questions and I can't remember a perimeter question? What did people get for the paving slab question and the crisps question?
Original post by Breesey86
Did anyone else find the test hard? I'm really worried now. Found the 1st test easier. I didn't do last 2 questions and I can't remember a perimeter question? What did people get for the paving slab question and the crisps question?

Crisps I chose the 2nd pack.
Original post by grundle
i think you may have found something different to what the question asked..
(i remember what i wrote now haha)
Question: length of perimeter of the shaded region (region had 2 arcs on either side, and 4cm on one of the straight sides telling us the length of the radius of that arc and also the other side of the shaded region's lenght - 4cm as well)

arc length = angle/360 x 2 x pi x radius

the radius was stated as 10cm in total (split between 6cm for the first sector and then 4cm for end part), so the length for the smaller arc was:
75/360 x 2 x pi x 6 = 7.853981634

length of the longer arc (the outside one):
75/360 x 2 x pi x 10 (the total radius) = 13.08996939

now to find total perimeter of the shaded part, just add those 2 arc lengths together = 20.94395102, and then add the two 4cm onto it, giving a final perimeter of the shaded region being 28.9 cm (1 D.C), - almost mid twenties XD

No i did what the question asked xD. I would have got the same answer as well. 75/360 x 2 x 3.142 x radius is the same as 3.142 x diameter. All i did was use the diameter instead of 2 x 3.142 x radius.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Sesshomaru24U
I chose the first pack? I did the cost divided by the number of crisps and the first pack had the best value for money. Unless i didnt read the question and it asked which was the most expensive pack
Original post by Urooj123
The answer is £42.29 but i wrote £42.30 so how many marks will i lose?

Perhaps just one.
Original post by aisha591
What did u guys get for how much collins journey costs

I got 42.27
Why is Edexcel obsessed with crisps this year? Were they hungry?
Reply 33
I chose the first pack? I did the cost divided by the number of crisps and the first pack had the best value for money. Unless i didnt read the question and it asked which was the most expensive pack

i chose the same but now just realised i made a mistake - 4/18 = 0.2 recurring, but on my calculator i saw it as just 0.2 and didn't see the dot on top of the 2. so in actual fact it was 0.22222..., and the largest packet's value for 1 packet was smaller - something like 0.214 something. annoyed at myself because it was a stupid error
Original post by BTAnonymous
Somewhere around 42. I think I did something like 25 + 17 because of his cost to park or something like that. Not a bad paper overall.

Same!! :smile:
Original post by grundle
i chose the same but now just realised i made a mistake - 4/18 = 0.2 recurring, but on my calculator i saw it as just 0.2 and didn't see the dot on top of the 2. so in actual fact it was 0.22222..., and the largest packet's value for 1 packet was smaller - something like 0.214 something. annoyed at myself because it was a stupid error

Wait so was the first packet the smallest? Was that the answer? Or did we have to find the biggest? Im confused xD
Im so used to them saying work out the best value for money i must have not registered if it says otherwise. Its unfair they would pull something like that xD
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Sesshomaru24U

So did I but apparently it was the first most people are saying 🙈

Crap, I must have picked the wrong one. I did the exact same thing.

Wasn't it:
crisp 1 18 for 4 pounds
crisp 2 20 for 4.99
crisp 3 I don't recall.
I got all the same answers as the unofficial mark scheme but wasn't question 11 £44.88:

18 miles distance from house to work so each day he travels 36 miles.

We're told that he has to refuel 1 gallon every 45.2 miles.

As 1 gallon = 4.546 litres (as given in the question) he has to refuel 4.546 litres every 45.2 miles (simple substitution)

If that is the case, he refuels 1 litre every 45.2/4.546 miles (9.9428 .... miles)

As he travels 36 miles he needs to refuel 36/ (9.9428 ....) times, which is 3.6207.... times in his journey

This is 3 times and 0.6207... times but one can not have 0.6207 times of refuelling so we round up to 4 times.

It was 136.9p per litre so that is 4 x 136.9 = 547.6p

Add on the cost of parking which was 350p

547.6+350 = 897.60p

Multiply by 5 days = 4488p = £44.88
Original post by Breesey86
So did I but apparently it was the first most people are saying 🙈

What did you do on the exam to workout your answer? I can let it slide, I seem to have got most of the other stuff on the paper right.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending