The Student Room Group

Help Please?

Simplify :

tg x + cotg x 􀀀- 1/(sin x cos x)
Reply 1
Original post by priyaroy789
Simplify :

What is that meant to say? tan x + cot x = -sec x cosec x?
Reply 2
Original post by Zacken
What is that meant to say? tan x + cot x = -sec x cosec x?

Thats exactly what the question says but i just looked it up and found that tg x is the same as tan x
Reply 3
Thats exactly what the question says but i just looked it up and found that tg x is the same as tan x

Write tangent and cotangent in their sin/cos forms and then common denominator to victory.
Reply 4
Original post by Zacken
Write tangent and cotangent in their sin/cos forms and then common denominator to victory.

Cheers, do you think you'll be able to help me out with another question while you're online?
Reply 5
Cheers, do you think you'll be able to help me out with another question while you're online?

How many di erent nine-digit numbers can be created by moving digits in the number 123454321?
How many di erent nine-digit numbers can be created by moving digits in the number 123454321?

This is a combination problem.
See how many different combinations you can make and then see how many repeating digits you have!
Reply 7
Original post by dan94adibi
This is a combination problem.
See how many different combinations you can make and then see how many repeating digits you have!

yup, is there a method/formula to figure it out?
yup, is there a method/formula to figure it out?

Yes. I'll give you a hint.
In 123454321 you have two 1s, two 2s, two 3s, and two 4s. Thus, some of the combinations will yield the same answer and you will have to divide them from the total combinations.
Reply 9
Original post by dan94adibi
Yes. I'll give you a hint.
In 123454321 you have two 1s, two 2s, two 3s, and two 4s. Thus, some of the combinations will yield the same answer and you will have to divide them from the total combinations.

so like 9!/(2!*2!*2!*2!), but what about the five?
Reply 10

That would be an extra division by 1! which is just 1 so not necessary.
The five would appear as this:

9!2!2!2!2!1!\displaystyle \dfrac{9!}{2!*2!*2!*2!*1!}

but since 1! = 1 it's not necessary to consider it. There's only one 5, so there will be no repeats because of it.

Yup the 5 only occurs once. Essentially, what you are doing is crossing out those that are 'double counted'.
For example:
1(a)1(b)232454
is the same as
1(b)1(a)232454

Its just that the two ones have swapped position but really they're both the same number. So, the total combination is 22,680.
Reply 13
Simplify :

Thank You Guys For Replying
Reply 14
Thank You Guys For Replying

No worries.

Quick Reply

Latest