The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS/A2 Mathematics M1 - 8th June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KloppOClock
i suppose your right in the sens that you sould know T<25. However, in past mark schemes when there have been similar questions, the marks have been assigned for labelling the correct values and each line having the correct shape and values assigned to it. So as long as the overall shape is right and the right values are assigned to the correct point I would think you would still get full marks.

Btw thanks for when you said v=v0 + ta
that came up in the exam :biggrin:
Reply 1721
Original post by SusamS
For question 2b, I am pretty sure it said the force exerted by the brick on the pan not the other way round, so wouldn't the answer be 1.5g (14.7N)

I did F=ma on the pan and got the same answer as those who did F=ma on the brick (15.5 N). It's the same answer both ways.

20.6-0.5g-R = 0.5x0.5 (ignoring the weight & mass off the brick as we aren't considering the whole system, just the forces on the pan)
15.7-R = 0.25
15.7-0.25 = R = 15.45 -> 15.5 N (3sf)

It's not 14.7 N because of the acceleration
Original post by BB8
I did F=ma on the pan and got the same answer as those who did F=ma on the brick (15.5 N). It's the same answer both ways.

20.6-0.5g-R = 0.5x0.5 (ignoring the weight & mass off the brick as we aren't considering the whole system, just the forces on the pan)
15.7-R = 0.25

Wait wait wait why is it not:

R - 0.5g = 0.5 x 0.5
R - 4.9 = 0.25
R = 5.15N

Using N3L, the force extered is 5.15N

???? Most of the people I took the exam with did this. If this is wrong, please explain ;-;
Original post by Tessa Moltres
Wait wait wait why is it not:

R - 0.5g = 0.5 x 0.5
R - 4.9 = 0.25
R = 5.15N

Using N3L, the force extered is 5.15N

???? Most of the people I took the exam with did this. If this is wrong, please explain ;-;

The mass of the brick is 1.5 and not 0.5

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SaphBruh
The mass of the brick is 1.5 and not 0.5

Posted from TSR Mobile

I used the mass of the scale pan, and found the R upward of the scale pan, and then N3L meant that the brick exerts the same force down... I get that I'm wrong, but so many of us got 5.15 that I'd really appreciate someone here explaining why you gotta use the brick and not the scale pan XD

EDIT: OHHHHHHHH nevermind I know what I did now XDDD I did it the right way originally but got R as negative so did it this way...ahahah damn it
(edited 7 years ago)
guys for the vector question 7.. i did some triangle stuff and ended up using the cosine rule.. and i somehow got my answer as 2.5 but then for some reason square rooted it as my final answer (don't ask why) but do you think ill get many method marks for using the cosine rule? cause i did get 2.5 somehow
Original post by CaiusMartius
easiest test of my life

It was ok but calm down it wasnt that easy.
Does anyone have any good idea of the grade boundaries for this paper since majority of the people didnt find it that easy.
Original post by txnilxnur
guys for the vector question 7.. i did some triangle stuff and ended up using the cosine rule.. and i somehow got my answer as 2.5 but then for some reason square rooted it as my final answer (don't ask why) but do you think ill get many method marks for using the cosine rule? cause i did get 2.5 somehow

Bro did the same thing i got 2.46 aprox. 2.5 so i dont know.
Original post by BB8

15.7-R = 0.25

Oh I just got it. Thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by fpmaniac
Btw thanks for when you said v=v0 + ta
that came up in the exam :biggrin:

i know and i got it wrong :happy2:
Original post by dotdani11
Bro did the same thing i got 2.46 aprox. 2.5 so i dont know.

did you end up doing the square root of it as well then? literally no idea what i was doing lol i hate vectors... do you think we'll get many marks for using the cosine rule then
Original post by KloppOClock
question asked for magnitude so you would lose one mark for that question.

for part a you dont know if T is faster or slower than 25 seconds at that part so I don't think it matters, marks for graphs come from labelling the correct values and that the lines have the correct shape
Cheers boss
Original post by SturtScooby
Could someone explain to me why the force exerted by the brick is 15.45N and not just its weight, 14.7N. I understand it's accelerating upwards and so there must be a net upwards force greater than the weight. The difference between the force and the weight is the force required to make it accelerate at 0.5m/s^2, so net upwards =1.5g + 0.5x1.5=15.45. Surely though, this is the force that the pan exerts on the brick and not what the brick exerts on the pan? Or am I correct and have I just messed up when reading the question and it's actually asked me to find the force of the pan on the brick?

The brick is in contact with the pan which means there must be a contact force. This contact force is equal to the force exerted by the brick on the scale pan (Newton's Third Law).

Have a look at my worked solutions to all questions here;
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4153535&p=65604913#post65604913
hopefully got 73/75 on this, just waiting to be shafted by C3 and C4
Original post by WillRose
hopefully got 73/75 on this, just waiting to be shafted by C3 and C4

same lol, I resat all my as modules and they went super smooth, waiting for m2, c3, c4 to cut me down to size
Reply 1737
Original post by JLegion
Sorry to burst your bubble on the first one.
The vector was 20i - 5j, if you draw it you'll see the bearing would be 90° + arctan(5/20) = 104°.

lol I worked out the wrong angle
Original post by bulletman54
can someone explain question 2b ?

Spoiler

If you still don't understand pm me,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending