The Student Room Group

Maths AQA Spec B Calc thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fettucinisue
more I think?

Damn. For some reason I thought it said 'How can they weigh the same'. Hopefully, I'll just lose answer marks.
Original post by xy_
14pi / 360 * 270 then add 14 is what i did.

14pi to get full circumference.
Divide by 360 to get perimeter of 1 degree.
Times by 260 to get full arc.
Add 14 for the two radi.
I think that was right.

I did 270 divide by 360, times pi x 14 then added the 14 on for the radii. I got 46.98.
Original post by xy_
Damn. For some reason I thought it said 'How can they weigh the same'. Hopefully, I'll just lose answer marks.

ha ha, don't worry, I've lost so many answer marks reading this thread I've lost count. Hopefully the method marks will keep my grade up......
Original post by fettucinisue
ha ha, don't worry, I've lost so many answer marks reading this thread I've lost count. Hopefully the method marks will keep my grade up......

and it may well have even said 'weigh the same', my skim reading skilz are not that helpful in maths exams.......
Original post by xy_
Was it to weight more or weight the same?

I'm 90% sure it was to prove they weight the same.

I put that if you took the upper bound for the 4 boxes of nails, you had 4 * 205 = 805

Then I just did 820 divided by 6 to give 136.67 (rounded to 2 decimal places). This means that 6 boxes of screws, each weighing 136.67g, gives 820g total.

if you're rounding to the nearest ten, then 136.67 rounds to 140, and 205 rounds to 200, which proves that the original (unrounded) numbers could both sum to the same thing, 820.
Original post by xy_
I wasn't sure because on past papers such as this one (question 22) it specifically says it wasn't replaced.

Yeah I can understand that but you have to remember to read the papers as if you had never seen a question similar to it initially, reading it without any other knowledge/ experience would makemake the question seem as if 2 were taken out after all it send nothing else
Original post by FenixZ
Yeah I can understand that but you have to remember to read the papers as if you had never seen a question similar to it initially, reading it without any other knowledge/ experience would makemake the question seem as if 2 were taken out after all it send nothing else

I'm still not sure. When I first read it I just assumed a counter was picked, checked, then dropped back in the bag. I did at the edge put the other method if the counter had been removed with my working and answer so hopefully they see it and aren't fussy :/
Wow, I thought this paper was HARD!!!

Since it is my 4th time resitting my Maths (the other times I have done foundation). I really hope I pass but I very much doubt it reading this thread aha. 22 now so.....

I just need that C DAMMIT

By the time I have passed the government will have run out of funding :tongue:
Grade boundary predictions?
Prediction for a C?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can someone post a full or nearly full unofficial mark scheme

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xy_

The question did if you are referring to the screws and nuts or what ever
I didn't get that question

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FenixZ
The question did if you are referring to the screws and nuts or what ever

Fewww!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending