The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography GEOG 3 2016

Scroll to see replies

AQA knew we were predicting seismic, so that's exactly why for the first time they went against them alternating all the time and instead they put another volcanic question in! Idiots! Oh well I still felt it went well
Original post by JgR1997
AQA knew we were predicting seismic, so that's exactly why for the first time they went against them alternating all the time and instead they put another volcanic question in! Idiots! Oh well I still felt it went well
I predicted tectonics but I still think the 40 mark was hard even though I revised volcanoes a lot
I agree, I thought it was all very difficult. Wording of those 40 markers was horrific - I managed to get in a lot of discussion about volcanic activity, montserrat, seismometers etc but still not happy with it.

Goes to show no amount of revision can prepare you lmao, those 40 markers could have screwed a lot of people over
Original post by Nachey
what topics did u do?

Plates for 25 marker (was fine apart from 7 marker which was a bit tricky and I didn't have enough time to do the 10 marker well)
Then we did dev+glob and conflict, I did the conflict 25 marker and development essay
7 markers were all quite difficult tbh, that went very badly in conflict
Overall...
40 marker on tectonics was shite, my volcano case studies were weak. Think I've got 30/40.
25 mark ecosystems section - very nice, think I've got 23/25
25 mark world cities - nice 7 and 8 marker, 10 marker worded weirdly. I'm thinking maybe 19/25.

I'm guessing I've got 72ish. Could definitely have been better

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lulus1
Plates for 25 marker (was fine apart from 7 marker which was a bit tricky and I didn't have enough time to do the 10 marker well)
Then we did dev+glob and conflict, I did the conflict 25 marker and development essay

i did the conflict 25... found writing about both the reasons and consequences of separatism time consuming tho, they used to be 2 totally separate questions
Original post by TomC1997
Anyone know what the weather and climate questions were ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

7 marker on photochemical smog
8 marker on Different things affecting British Isles
10 Marker on causes and impacts of a storm in the British isles
Original post by Nachey
i did the conflict 25... found writing about both the reasons and consequences of separatism time consuming tho, they used to be 2 totally separate questions

I completely agree!! There was definitely not enough time to write both sides which definitely made the quality of my answer lower, and the same for the 8 marker. 8 marks to describe both environmental and economic impacts definitely was too much, one of those alone could have been a 10 marker. Also a bit of a surprise question since it came up last year?
Went you turn to the 40 marker on tectonics and its 100% volcanoes :colonhash:
Original post by Sacred Ground
Overall...
40 marker on tectonics was shite, my volcano case studies were weak. Think I've got 30/40.
25 mark ecosystems section - very nice, think I've got 23/25
25 mark world cities - nice 7 and 8 marker, 10 marker worded weirdly. I'm thinking maybe 19/25.

I'm guessing I've got 72ish. Could definitely have been better

Posted from TSR Mobile

72 is a solid A* lmao enough
Original post by brackers10
I agree, I thought it was all very difficult. Wording of those 40 markers was horrific - I managed to get in a lot of discussion about volcanic activity, montserrat, seismometers etc but still not happy with it.

Goes to show no amount of revision can prepare you lmao, those 40 markers could have screwed a lot of people over

Seismographs are earthquakes though? I mentioned tilt meters, observatories, ground deformation, gas emissions and water level table. I then explained how these technologies have reduced impacts in MEDC's with case studies of eyja and mt redoubt compared with ledc' where lack of technology has exacerbated the death and destruction. I used seep impacts relating to hazards and technology. Not a nice question!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by brackers10

yeah I agree I had difficulty with structuring the 40 mark volcano question and also felt like I could only weakly relate seismometers etc. to my case studies
Original post by lulus1
72 is a solid A* lmao enough

Idk tbh, it depends how other people found the paper

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sacred Ground
Seismographs are earthquakes though? I mentioned tilt meters, observatories, ground deformation, gas emissions and water level table. I then explained how these technologies have reduced impacts in MEDC's with case studies of eyja and mt redoubt compared with ledc' where lack of technology has exacerbated the death and destruction. I used seep impacts relating to hazards and technology. Not a nice question!

Posted from TSR Mobile
volcanoes presumably cause small earthquakes that are detectable with seismometers I also spoke about emissions and ground deformation
best exam everrrr

tectonics stuff was sweet, world cities 10 market was a bit odd wording to me (spoke about park hill in Sheffield) and the ecosystems essay was sweet.

I practically spoke about problems today in terms of being unsustainable demand increasing, population increasing etc.

Spoke about issues in Brazil with deforestation and attempts to protect the area and highlighted some problems.

Background info on Serengeti, how education is important to help the sustainability of the biodiversity of the land and reasons to why it was unsustainable (mentioned the Serengeti itself is unsustainable due to the change in landscape an effect of the ivory trade and lack of elephants)

Highlighted importance of education again, benefits and concluded about my own views and spoke about the Great Barrier Reef, another example of human activity (previously mentioned in education about how impacts can be highlighted ahd tourists could spread the information and the problems addressed)

All in all I bloody loved this exam paper! (this is where I misunderstood the essay question completely..)
Anyone for weather & climate essay? I did it, wasn't a great fan of the question but no way was I doing plate tectonics. Wasn't really sure what it was asking for; I talked about evidence for climate change, the fact that humans contribute to it, then international and national-level responses..? I need an a* in something and I might've just blown it for geography lol
Reply 1917
i didnt learn intrusive volcanic features :frown: literally think i wrote 4 lines for that 8 marker - ahhhh!
Original post by Pterofyre
best exam everrrr

tectonics stuff was sweet, world cities 10 market was a bit odd wording to me (spoke about park hill in Sheffield) and the ecosystems essay was sweet.

I practically spoke about problems today in terms of being unsustainable demand increasing, population increasing etc.

Spoke about issues in Brazil with deforestation and attempts to protect the area and highlighted some problems.

Background info on Serengeti, how education is important to help the sustainability of the biodiversity of the land and reasons to why it was unsustainable (mentioned the Serengeti itself is unsustainable due to the change in landscape an effect of the ivory trade and lack of elephants)

Highlighted importance of education again, benefits and concluded about my own views and spoke about the Great Barrier Reef, another example of human activity (previously mentioned in education about how impacts can be highlighted ahd tourists could spread the information and the problems addressed)

All in all I bloody loved this exam paper! (this is where I misunderstood the essay question completely..)

I agree with the world cities 10 marker, it was kinda like 'what is it asking me to do?'

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did tectonics 25, world cities 25, d&g 40. I think tectonics and world cities were alright (as long as London docklands counts as a city 'centre' regeneration lol). The 40 marker I felt like I had loads of knowledge and case study info, but I was vague and didn't have any TLAG or flair, plus my conclusion was awful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending