The Student Room Group

How long have you been a graduate?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by shawn_o1
I was crap enough to miss out on FDM's programme :lol: besides, I ended up learning a lot of things in my spare time just to get a job even if it didn't suit me at the end

What kinds of things did you end up learning and what kind of job did it help you get?
Original post by sammie07
What kinds of things did you end up learning and what kind of job did it help you get?

I improved my options by learning web technologies and scripting commands. Although I did keep in touch with my programming skills too. I managed to get a job for three months. It turned out not to be suitable because the program they were marketing was written in an outdated language. Not good for career progression
I've been a graduate for three years :smile: I have a job (finally) and honestly really enjoy it, but I'm beginning to look elsewhere now because of a lack of money. Can you even handle the epicness?
Reply 43
Original post by shawn_o1
I improved my options by learning web technologies and scripting commands. Although I did keep in touch with my programming skills too. I managed to get a job for three months. It turned out not to be suitable because the program they were marketing was written in an outdated language. Not good for career progression

was you degree a compsci one or did you leanr yourself? If you don't mind me asking but how did you find that job and was there an aspect of a technical test in the interview stage?
Original post by sammie07
was you degree a compsci one or did you leanr yourself? If you don't mind me asking but how did you find that job and was there an aspect of a technical test in the interview stage?

Yep, my degree was in computer science. The job? Well, it being the complete software developer role with responsibility for every stage of the development life cycle was too much too soon for someone like me with only technical skills to show and questionable client-facing conduct. I'm finding myself a more "behind-the-scenes" role now.
Most entry-level IT job interviews also feature a written coding test to show your technical skills. That I find easy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending