The Student Room Group

What does the 'M' button mean on top of calculator?

Sat my Paper 2 GCSE Maths exam today and just realised my calculator is not in the default setting (I think). The top of the display reads 'M' then 'D' then just the word 'Math'.
Does this mean my calculations have come out wrong? Please serious answers only as I am really really worried

Scroll to see replies

The M button stands for moron
The D button stands for Degrees.
Reply 3
think it might mean you have something stored on the memory

just reset the calculator :smile:
Reply 4
The M stands for Memory I think
Did you do 1+1 to check that the calculator is working fine?
M stands for "Maths is over forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:
Original post by george_c00per
M stands for "Maths is over forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Not for all of us. I still have 2 further maths exams left and I'm taking both maths and further maths next year
Original post by OneTrueGeek
Not for all of us. I still have 2 further maths exams left and I'm taking both maths and further maths next year

I would feel sorry for you but it's quite clear that you like maths haha. Good luck for the FM exams :smile:
Original post by george_c00per
I would feel sorry for you but it's quite clear that you like maths haha. Good luck for the FM exams :smile:

I do like maths and thanks
Reply 10
The "M" means there is a value stored in the independent memory. The "D" stands for degrees.
"Math" means the display format is "natural display".

The numerical values for your answers will be correct; unless you pressed the "M+" button as part of your workings.

Don't worry about it - Seems like a pretty pointless function - and a pointless thing to display! I'm doing A2 Maths & Further Maths and had to look it up in the manual, so it's unlikely you'll have deliberately used it incorrectly, unless you pressed "M+" - which, firstly, you'd have no reason to press; and secondly, would be fairly obvious if you had!
Reply 11
Original post by JAllard
The "M" means there is a value stored in the independent memory. The "D" stands for degrees.
"Math" means the display format is "natural display".

The numerical values for your answers will be correct; unless you pressed the "M+" button as part of your workings.

Don't worry about it - Seems like a pretty pointless function - and a pointless thing to display! I'm doing A2 Maths & Further Maths and had to look it up in the manual, so it's unlikely you'll have deliberately used it incorrectly, unless you pressed "M+" - which, firstly, you'd have no reason to press; and secondly, would be fairly obvious if you had!

Thanks a lot for the reply! My only concern is if I'm using the ANS button for things like sine and cosine rule, won't it have been the answer stored in memory rather than previous calculations so obviously my answer would be wrong?
Reply 12
Original post by TSRJohn
Thanks a lot for the reply! My only concern is if I'm using the ANS button for things like sine and cosine rule, won't it have been the answer stored in memory rather than previous calculations so obviously my answer would be wrong?

No, "Ans" uses the last value to have appeared in the bottom-right corner and it self-updates to the latest value every time you press "=".
Reply 13
Original post by JAllard
No, "Ans" uses the last value to have appeared in the bottom-right corner and it self-updates to the latest value every time you press "=".

Great news !! Just to clarify because I am extremely panicky at the moment - unless I did something stupid (used m+) then my answers should be fine? For basic calculations such as trig, sine and cosine, area of circle and using the ANS button - they should have all came out correct?
Reply 14
Original post by Afsanax
think it might mean you have something stored on the memory

just reset the calculator :smile:

Thanks for the reply! I'll never use the calculator again so that's not my issue - just wondering whether it would have skewed my calculations during the exam today?
Reply 15
Original post by TSRJohn
Great news !! Just to clarify because I am extremely panicky at the moment - unless I did something stupid (used m+) then my answers should be fine? For basic calculations such as trig, sine and cosine, area of circle and using the ANS button - they should have all came out correct?

Yeah, should all be ok.
what does the 's' stand for at the top of the calculator?
Reply 17
Sorry, I'm not quite sure what this means. Could you repeat?
m stands for ****
Original post by Alyiza
The M stands for Memory I think

the m stand for m1lf

Quick Reply