The Student Room Group

Why should we care that it's Ramadan?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Roast
I don't get why we (society/mainstream media) care so much about a holy month?
Same reason why Christians care and celebrate Christmas, Since your curious you should type in "Ramadan" into google and then read what it says. You can't expect us to do the work for you.
Reply 41
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
But most of society doesn't care because most of us aren't Muslims. I certainly don't care about Ramadan.

But that's just your opinion not societies because unfortunately you are not a spokesperson for society....

Personally I care about when its Christmas, Holi, Diwali, Easter etc even though I don't celebrate it because - 1 - its good to know - 2 - so I can wish my friends from other religions and buy them presents :smile:
Reply 42
The same way the world cares about Christmas - so much so that they allocate a 2 week holiday for it, the world should care about Ramadan. By saying why does anyone care is not only immature but really uneducated. We live in a society where everyone should be able to exercise their beliefs and live harmoniously by one another, stop bringing hate and just accept that not everyone is the same but regardless every culture, ethnicity and religion should have the same equal recognition.
Reply 43
I don't get why we (society/mainstream media) care so much about a holy month?

I don't think mainstream media cares compare it to christmas theres christmas cakes in shops from september... adverts on tv... theres school holidays during that time which legit is called 'christmas holidays'

now let's start with easter...easter eggs...again 'easter holidays' in schools

so what about ramadan and eid
-well adults and children who fast still need to go to work and school (unless ramadan falls on a holiday)
-there's no national holiday for eid(which is not expected this is a christian country)
-no message from the queen but there's a christmas message from her

so umm, don't think anyone apart from muslims care lol,
not like we're going round with banners saying 'GIVE ME ATTENTION IT'S RAMADAN' so you don't have to care either

:wink:
Original post by Mrs.Grey
That's only in the UK...and you don't need to be so closed minded. You asked a question about Ramadan resulting in you obviously caring about Ramadan.

I'm an aspiring Muslim... what are we actually meant to do during Ramadan? We're just mean to pray to Alan and all that stuff right ??
No... Again, I don't care about Ramadan. I'm bothered about it being so prevalent in mainstream media.

I'm referring specifically to the UK - where I live.

Can I ask how it is prevalent in the mainstream media? The only place I've seen it on is on TSR and on a Live Snapchat story.
Reply 46
You know what any Muslim who's on this thread just don't even reply to this kind of stuff, they make out like ther 'curious' but know exactly what there doing.. Spreading more hate about Muslims. It's Ramadan and we should forgive so just remove yourselves from it because it will annoy you and you don't need that negativity or frustration whilst fasting.
Is it not obvious that there is going to be lots of talk about Islamic religious holidays when Islam is the second largest religion in the world?
Reply 48
Original post by george_c00per
Can I ask how it is prevalent in the mainstream media? The only place I've seen it on is on TSR and on a Live Snapchat story.

It's been cluttering BBC and other major news outlets for the days leading up to it.
Reply 49
Original post by Shsjsk
You know what any Muslim who's on this thread just don't even reply to this kind of stuff, they make out like ther 'curious' but know exactly what there doing.. Spreading more hate about Muslims. It's Ramadan and we should forgive so just remove yourselves from it because it will annoy you and you don't need that negativity or frustration whilst fasting.

Reply 50
Original post by NickLCFC
I'm an aspiring Muslim... what are we actually meant to do during Ramadan? We're just mean to pray to Alan and all that stuff right ??

Man said alan

It's allah, its a month of forgiveness where you reflect on your actions and attempt to better yourself and yes you pray to allah
nice to see you cared enough to make a thread on it

Spoiler

Reply 52
Original post by Afsanax
I don't think mainstream media cares compare it to christmas theres christmas cakes in shops from september... adverts on tv... theres school holidays during that time which legit is called 'christmas holidays'

now let's start with easter...easter eggs...again 'easter holidays' in schools

:wink:

Both Easter and Christmas have been commercialized - Ramadan hasn't.
It's been cluttering BBC and other major news outlets for the days leading up to it.

It has not been "cluttering" the BBC and other news outlets. I read the news on a daily basis and I have hardly seen anything on it.
Reply 54
Original post by CON5P1RACY K1D
Same reason why Christians care and celebrate Christmas, Since your curious you should type in "Ramadan" into google and then read what it says. You can't expect us to do the work for you.

You do realise that you don't have to be Christian to celebrate Christmas... right?
Reply 55
Original post by george_c00per
It has not been "cluttering" the BBC and other news outlets. I read the news on a daily basis and I have hardly seen anything on it.

Clearly not enough then...
Reply 56

'cluttering' lol have some respect

and can you send some links please because i'm trying to imagine what the news stories would be about..ramadan isn't important for non-muslims so why would there be multiple articles on it...ON WHAT?

'muslims prepare for ramadan by going to sainsburys and stocking up on food'
Original post by TSR-Exam
You care enough to make a thread :rolleyes:

you're saying he "cares" about not caring...? so basically they care 1% to the extent that they're responding to the obvious degree of consideration that muslims are putting into it via their threads dedicated to it on TSR. wow. how significant!

Original post by animeamanda1412
nice to see you cared enough to make a thread on it

Spoiler

already been covered, darling. thanks though.
(edited 7 years ago)
I mean by that logic why care about Christmas or any other religious holiday?

Although if ramadan got you a month off work then I'd be all over that. Conversion rates would be through the roof as the country crashes to a halt.
Then why the hell do we make such a big deal about, Christmas, and Easter and St Patrick's day. Stfu.

Quick Reply

Latest