The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel Geography 2016 Contested Planet/Geographical Research

Scroll to see replies

Reply 540
Original post by Chrissy.98
It could have been better. What did you write for development part b as i did it about bilateral, multilateral, humanitarian aid. But not sure if it was just top-down and bottom-up.
Also found pre release part c confusing!

Yeah, I wrote about multilateral, voluntary aid, and aid from NGOs and basically did advantages and disadvantages of them!
Reply 541
Liked section A, Section B I barely finished the 16 marker (wrote just about 2 pages). Could have been better tbh but did what I could
Reply 542
I wrote so little in all three of the essays compared to section A, felt like there was less to write about and that I was just repeating myself, section B was naff :frown:
Reply 543
Yeah I wrote mainly about the advantages and disadvantages of each e.g top down projects like dams funded but these have disadvantages with people forced to relocate etc
Reply 544
Wasnt keen on the synoptic, thought it was very narrow
Grade predictions, anyone? I think quite a few people will have missed the phrase "the extent to which" in the second question of section B. Otherwise there was nothing unexpected (energy and BDG).
Original post by Megfox
How did you guys find the exam? I did energy and development gap as I thought the source for water was absolutely shocking! the synoptic question on SPI was also awful! anyone have any other opinions?

I thought water in general was horrible :frown:
What did everyone write for section B part B-the 10 marker?
Reply 548
Original post by A-LevelEconomist

In general I found political system didnt really make a difference as one category they had virtually level scores and on another China scored better on freedom and rights etc but you wouldnt think that would be the case consdiering its communist
both parts to the water question were absolutely ****ing disgusting
well section B was awful I can't even remember what I managed to write, and water was another horror story, had to do biodiversity instead which i didn't even revise properly. Not expecting unit 4 to ago any better.
(edited 7 years ago)
Tough paper. Will definitely separate the men from the boys. Grade boundaries won't be too high
What did people put for the Water question part A??
Original post by T1221
Yeah I wrote mainly about the advantages and disadvantages of each e.g top down projects like dams funded but these have disadvantages with people forced to relocate etc

Yeah that's good. I did bilateral and a top down example and said it had costs too then multilateral/voluntary and a bottom up example and said it was focused but not a long run economic fix. Then I sort of did general evaluations like tied aid, dependency etc and then other ways to reduce the gap. I'm starting to think my structure was bad!
Original post by shepherd018

that was the most disgusting thing ive seen, what did you write for b?

Causes
- Copenhagen water better quality therefore higher price
- Nairobi and Lagos- bottled water as there isn't the technology available to develop water taps for homes- thus, the vendors charge a higher price
- uk- lots of supply therefore price is relatively cheap
- China and India- lots of supplies, however very polluted so price is low

Consequences
-Famine and severe insecurity in Kenya and Nigeria
-Poorest people can't afford water in Copenhagen
- In India and China cheap price means people can afford the water, however quality is poor and much is undrinkable
Original post by A-LevelEconomist

I said that political system does have a massive influence as it is ultimately responsible for social progress. I said communism is influential in allowing China to beat India on basic human needs through strict residency rules preventing urban poor and in terms of economic planning and being able to build infrastructure easily. Then talked about poor opportunity score because of heavy suppression of information ect.

What did you write?
What actually was the question for water? All my friends are saying it was terrible but I can't remember what it asked!

Section B was horrendous! My structure was terrible in an attempt to produce some kind of an answer and my synoptic links were so forced and disjointed
Original post by OrdinaryStudent
that was the most disgusting thing ive seen, what did you write for b?

its was disgusting... for B i wrote about the sustainable strategies such as restoration (aral sea), conservation and bottom up projects using appropriate technology. I argued that Sustainable strategies are difficult to implement on a large scale like china due to there rapid growth and that large scale projects like the Three Gorges Dam and South North water project are needed to meet demand

What did others put?!
its was disgusting... for B i wrote about the sustainable strategies such as restoration (aral sea), conservation and bottom up projects using appropriate technology. I argued that Sustainable strategies are difficult to implement on a large scale like china due to there rapid growth and that large scale projects like the Three Gorges Dam and South North water project are needed to meet demand

What did others put?!

Similar to me. I also mentioned an attitudinal fix was necessary otherwise demand will never be met

Quick Reply

Latest