The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
To add: I am 41 y/o, soon to start the second year of my undergraduate course. I have had a very successful career after dropping out of uni during my sandwich placement year, 20 years ago, for a good job offer. I am back only because I know exactly what sector I want to be in and I want a doctorate in that field. I am funding it as I describe above except it's my husband, not parents, providing the rent free accomodation.

I would not have bothered returning without a passion for my sector or the confidence in myself to achieve my goal. There is plenty of employment and on the job continuous professional development for astute and intelligent non-graduates. Graduating from university is not the only way to make your parents proud or to be successful.
Reply 41
My lecturer told me that you can get support from student finance for up 7 years. Mind you, that was 4 years ago. So if I were you I would call and ask. Would just like to point that you shouldn't be so hard on yourself, there is no rush and it's not a competition for now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sadpuppie
snip

The Open University is expensive if you don't have access to student loans. There are much cheaper ways to fund a degree. The University of London International Programme, for example.

What exactly do you want to study? I know that some European universities offer distance learning degrees (or modules, which you could transfer to the OU) for free.
With the amount of debt you'll be in it seems hardly worthwhile. Chase a career. Do something you enjoy and earn some money. University is by no means a guaranteed job and after the additional 3 years you'll feel like your life's been wasted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
My reason for dropping out the first time is becuase I didnt enjoy the course and the 2nd time is because my grandad passed away that year and really fuked me up. I know dumb excuses and telling what I just wrote wont perduade student finance to give me extra years of funding? What do I say? i am so stressed right now I just want to end this **** and die how do people get extra years i see people get 5 years an 7 years what did they say?? i have no freind no one to talk to and student finance is just ******
Reply 46
My reason for dropping out the first time is becuase I didnt enjoy the course and the 2nd time is because my grandad passed away that year and really fuked me up. I know dumb excuses and telling what I just wrote wont perduade student finance to give me extra years of funding? What do I say? i am so stressed right now I just want to end this **** and die how do people get extra years i see people get 5 years an 7 years what did they say?? i have no freind no one to talk to and student finance is just ******

Ok, so your 2nd occasion (which is very sad) could well merit extenuating circumstances.

What was the course? Was it related to IT/CompSci? If so why not contact the university/SFE about resuming it and extending your loan entitlement? That's realistically the only way you can get a degree in the short term.

Alternatively heed the advice you've already been given about starting a career/apprenticeship and putting the degree on the back burner.
Reply 47
Original post by Trill
My lecturer told me that you can get support from student finance for up 7 years. Mind you, that was 4 years ago. So if I were you I would call and ask. Would just like to point that you shouldn't be so hard on yourself, there is no rush and it's not a competition for now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No - it's 1 year plus length of undergraduate course.
Reply 48
Original post by jneill
Ok, so your 2nd occasion (which is very sad) could well merit extenuating circumstances.

What was the course? Was it related to IT/CompSci? If so why not contact the university/SFE about resuming it and extending your loan entitlement? That's realistically the only way you can get a degree in the short term.

Alternatively heed the advice you've already been given about starting a career/apprenticeship and putting the degree on the back burner.

What exactly do I say to Student Finance? 'Hi. I want to go back to University again, however I have already used up all my Student fiance lives' lol... im terrible. Then they most likely going to ask me why I dropped out. I say' First year I dropped out because I didn't enjoy the course. 2nd year round I dropped out bceuase my granddad passed away' Then what Sorry I just suck at talking on the phone I don't want to mess this up. Yh Im stupid.

No it was not related to IT whatsoever. I studied Dietetics.

I have applied couple of apprenticeship you linked earlier. I just hope they get back to me soon. I will let you know if that happens.
To be honest, you sound in no mindset to do another degree. I suggest you take a break from it, deal with your emotions and the reasons you failed before and then apply with a positive frame of mind.

Does make it a lot easier if you want good advice if you give these details out at the beginning so people can see what they are dealing with.

What did SFE say when they gave you the chance to try uni again? In theory they wouldnt have been funding you for at least the first year. You amde reference to paying yourself at the 2nd attempt. Is this correct or did SFE pay for your 2nd try at Uni as well?

Bereavement would be a compelling reason. What you would need is evidence, it happened and that it affected you at Uni.

Contact with your Dr, tutor, anyone independent and professional would support you. Ot depends on ebidence and they treat it on a case by case basis.

You might think its a silly reason, but its worth between £9k -£9k + maintenance grant. How long would that take you to save up?

You talk about wanting to make your parents proud, if so its now time to get a handle on matters and deal with the issues that confront you. Your uni career doesnt have to be dead. Besides your parents its unlikely there are many people who give a toss about what happens to you, Its up to you to care and do something about it.

If they gave you that year back, then you would be at degree length -1. So in theory youd just have to save up £9k + whatever you needed to live for that year. That is wholly achievable in say 3 years as long as you are serious. Wholly more positive than the situation you were looking at earlier. Rather thna rushing onto a degree becayse you dont wnat to wait I think you need to spend some time thinking about what you really want and whether Uni is for you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 51
Original post by 999tigger
Does make it a lot easier if you want good advice if you give these details out at the beginning so people can see what they are dealing with.

What did SFE say when they gave you the chance to try uni again? In theory they wouldnt have been funding you for at least the first year. You amde reference to paying yourself at the 2nd attempt. Is this correct or did SFE pay for your 2nd try at Uni as well?

Bereavement would be a compelling reason. What you would need is evidence, it happened and that it affected you at Uni.

Contact with your Dr, tutor, anyone independent and professional would support you. Ot depends on ebidence and they treat it on a case by case basis.

You might think its a silly reason, but its worth between £9k -£9k + maintenance grant. How long would that take you to save up?

You talk about wanting to make your parents proud, if so its now time to get a handle on matters and deal with the issues that confront you. Your uni career doesnt have to be dead. Besides your parents its unlikely there are many people who give a toss about what happens to you, Its up to you to care and do something about it.

If they gave you that year back, then you would be at degree length -1. So in theory youd just have to save up £9k + whatever you needed to live for that year. That is wholly achievable in say 3 years as long as you are serious. Wholly more positive than the situation you were looking at earlier. Rather thna rushing onto a degree becayse you dont wnat to wait I think you need to spend some time thinking about what you really want and whether Uni is for you.

I haven't call Stident Finance yet. Anyways yes when I started 2nd year they said I have to pay for the 1st year then 2nd year student finance will fund me. So does that mean if I study this year student finance would fund me? I am really confused and student finance is closed now
I haven't call Stident Finance yet. Anyways yes when I started 2nd year they said I have to pay for the 1st year then 2nd year student finance will fund me. So does that mean if I study this year student finance would fund me? I am really confused and student finance is closed now

Im not sure you are being very clear and its confusing the issue.

First degree 2009-2011
year 1= they pay
year 2= they pay

You had used 2 years finance out if your length of degree+1.

So that would mean you had used your spare year and one of the other years.
So if the 2nd degree (2015-Jan 2016) was a 3 year course .
I'd expect them to have told you, they would only pay for year 2 and 3 and that you have to fund yourself for the first year, with themfinancing 2 and 3.

Please answer my questions. Im trying to help you.

The first year iof the degree you left this January. Who paid the fees? was it student finance or yourself. Where did you get the money from?

Perhaps they are telling you to pay for whatever money was expended and you can have your two spare years. As you left in January, then theres every chance you didnt incur liability for the whole years fees. You should know from the Uni how much they wanted.

So your bill might be.

1. Pay for the part year expended. = Apply for compelling reasons= beareavement= get evidence and submit the application.
2. If successful, then they will wipe that off. Its worth several thousand £ for the sake of a form , a letter and a bit of evidence gathering.
3. Get a job or two jobs and work to save the money. You need enough money to fund your first year so 9k+ living expenses. You can get that in 3 years. You have to be ciommited and get on with it.
4. You then think carefully about whether you wnat to go to Uni and select a suitable subject and Uni for you. No mistakes no messing about. Get it right.
5. Attend Uni pay for first year.
6. Keep on with Uni but for year 2 and 3 SFE pay.
7. Work hard, dont mess about, get a good degree graduate and get a good job.
8. Parents go to graduation and are proud you pulled your thumb out and sorted your life out.
9. Get a career, make lots of money and spend x years paying it back like everyone else.

Contact SFE and find out what the score is with finance and make a compelling reason app. they may or may not accept it.

When you know what you are doing, tell your mum that she doesnt have to worry becayse you are sorting it out and explain your plan to her.

Thats what I would do in your situation. You do need to focus though.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 53
Original post by 999tigger
Im not sure you are being very clear and its confusing the issue.

First degree 2009-2011
year 1= they pay
year 2= they pay

You had used 2 years finance out if your length of degree+1.

So that would mean you had used your spare year and one of the other years.
So if the 2nd degree (2015-Jan 2016) was a 3 year course .
I'd expect them to have told you, they would only pay for year 2 and 3 and that you have to fund yourself for the first year, with themfinancing 2 and 3.

Please answer my questions. Im trying to help you.

The first year iof the degree you left this January. Who paid the fees? was it student finance or yourself. Where did you get the money from?

Perhaps they are telling you to pay for whatever money was expended and you can have your two spare years. As you left in January, then theres every chance you didnt incur liability for the whole years fees. You should know from the Uni how much they wanted.

So your bill might be.

1. Pay for the part year expended. = Apply for compelling reasons= beareavement= get evidence and submit the application.
2. If successful, then they will wipe that off. Its worth several thousand £ for the sake of a form , a letter and a bit of evidence gathering.
3. Get a job or two jobs and work to save the money. You need enough money to fund your first year so 9k+ living expenses. You can get that in 3 years. You have to be ciommited and get on with it.
4. You then think carefully about whether you wnat to go to Uni and select a suitable subject and Uni for you. No mistakes no messing about. Get it right.
5. Attend Uni pay for first year.
6. Keep on with Uni but for year 2 and 3 SFE pay.
7. Work hard, dont mess about, get a good degree graduate and get a good job.
8. Parents go to graduation and are proud you pulled your thumb out and sorted your life out.
9. Get a career, make lots of money and spend x years paying it back like everyone else.

Contact SFE and find out what the score is with finance and make a compelling reason app. they may or may not accept it.

When you know what you are doing, tell your mum that she doesnt have to worry becayse you are sorting it out and explain your plan to her.

Thats what I would do in your situation. You do need to focus though.

Sorry I'm on my Mobile right now and it's a pain to type and go through messages etc.

Ok

First year they pay
2nd year they pay

2nd uni
1st year I paid student finance only gave me student loan and they didn't give me any grant. They said student finance will fund me in 2nd year. grant and loan etc. However I never recal them saying they will fund me 3rd year maybe they did but i forgot. Also I did not past 1st year because l left in January.

I am so confused right now.
Also where is the form for giving evidence why I dropped out?

Thank you so much 999tiger for helping a dumb ass out. I'm on my phone I try my best to respond to you
Reply 54
2nd uni
1st year I paid student finance only gave me student loan and they didn't give me any grant. They said student finance will fund me in 2nd year. grant and loan etc. However I never recal them saying they will fund me 3rd year maybe they did but i forgot. Also I did not past 1st year because l left in January.

Did you tell your 2nd university you were leaving? Or just stopped attending?

Do you WANT to continue at the 2nd university in, say, September.

And how did you pay for the 2nd university tuition when your household income is relatively low?
Reply 55
Original post by jneill
Did you tell your 2nd university you were leaving? Or just stopped attending?

Do you WANT to continue at the 2nd university in, say, September.

And how did you pay for the 2nd university tuition when your household income is relatively low?

Yes I did tell the university why I left etc.

Same uni? Probs yes but same course? 100% no.

Mom and dad savings and my grandad.
Reply 56
Yes I did tell the university why I left etc.

Same uni? Probs yes but same course? 100% no.

Mom and dad savings and my grandad.

So you would need to start as a 1st year again. Do you meet the entry requirements for the course you want?

Worst case you will get 1 year of funding. Best case you will get 2 years if SFE accept your circumstances.

Can you afford the 1 or 2 self-funded years right now to start in September?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
Original post by jneill
So you would need to start as a 1st year again. Do you meet the entry requirements for the course you want?

Worst case you will get 1 year of funding. Best case you will get 2 years if SFE accept your circumstances.

Can you afford the 1 or 2 self-funded years right now to start in September?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I will start as a 1st year again and yes.

Are you saying that I have 1 year funding left? If yes how did you get that?

No not really but like you said I try find a part time job while studying. Heck I even work at McDonald's I don't care no more.
Sorry I'm on my Mobile right now and it's a pain to type and go through messages etc.

Ok

First year they pay
2nd year they pay

2nd uni

I am so confused right now.
Also where is the form for giving evidence why I dropped out?

Thank you so much 999tiger for helping a dumb ass out. I'm on my phone I try my best to respond to you

1. You need to contact your uni and talk to someone in the students union who will be able to advise you.Apparently compelling reason appeals are made jointly by you and the Uni to SFE. You cna inform your ex tutor as well.

This leaflet explains what you need to do. I think its straightforward, but I suggest you get assistance from someone in the SU as i think you might find it too confusing.

This will involve writing a letter and collecting evidence. Your uni will also write a letter for SFE to confirm you left and why. You cna also search your uni website for the information they have on making an application.

http://www.solent.ac.uk/studying/student-support/funding-advice/resources/how-to-apply-for-compelling-personal-reasons-and-discretionary-payments.pdf

https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/student-finance/money-management/guides/personal-reasons/

2. You should also contact SFE and confirm what your funding options with them are i.e whether they will pay years 2 and 3. You cna also check with them and inform them you are going to make a compelling reasons application.

The student adviser at your Uni will be able to help you with the application. If you wnat to sort this out you have to get to grips with it read and understand, collect evidence and talk to people so you cna make a successful application. You really need tobe determined and deal with it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 59
Yes I will start as a 1st year again and yes.

Are you saying that I have 1 year funding left? If yes how did you get that?

3 (length of new course) + 1 (gift year) - 2 (years at first uni) - 1 (year at second uni if no mitigation) = 1 year of Tuition Fee Loan.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending