The Student Room Group

Why should we care that it's Ramadan?

Scroll to see replies

we? I certainly don't care about Ramadan.
Original post by The Roast

wow i miscalculated. it is very tiny.
Reply 82
The whole birth of Jesus thing... you know the manger, angel Gabriel...

yes i am aware for the lead up of Jesus' birth there's advent calendars everywhere (even I buy them and I'm not christian) so there's literally no religious aspect of christmas left everything has been turned into ways that they can make money from
Reply 83
Original post by loveleest

thanks for being honest

literally this guy is making such a big deal of acting like muslims are selfish for observing this holy month, no one is asking you to care so why make a whole thread about it making it seem like we're forcing you to acknowledge it....
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
https://authoritynutrition.com/10-health-benefits-of-intermittent-fasting/

You should try it, it might repair some of your brain cells! :h:

I will stick to conventional proven science over your pseudo science thanks :smile: (Keeps my brain cells healthy and makes discussion with you easier than taking candy from a baby)

http://www.waterbenefitshealth.com/water-and-brain.html
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 85
Who's ever said you should care about it? However much the media cover the fact that its Ramadan doesn't immediately equate to them forcing you to care about anything. And before you can say that it's covered so much to an extent; No, it's not.

Anyway, you're not religious, why waste the time asking questions like these? You're obviously not looking for any reasonable answers to your 'question', except for ones that go alongside what you already think, am i right?
I don't get why we (society/mainstream media) care so much about a holy month?

Nobody asked you to care.
Original post by Quantex
But if we aren't made aware that Ramadan is happening, how will we know when to troll the Muslim neighbours with food smells?

I've taken to baking bread every afternoon.

You are so funny.
No one calls it Sawm anymore :wink: that's all i care about
I don't care.

I'm also not bothered by it.

Good for you
:unimpressed:
Reply 91
No one cares about you, or your own existence
Original post by PrincessBO$$
Good for you
:unimpressed:

ok?
I'm not a Muslim, so why would I care? I'm not supposed to...
ok?
I'm not a Muslim, so why would I care? I'm not supposed to...

I never said care.
I just said GOOD FOR U.
So.....

Spoiler

Original post by Kutta
But that's just your opinion not societies because unfortunately you are not a spokesperson for society....

Personally I care about when its Christmas, Holi, Diwali, Easter etc even though I don't celebrate it because - 1 - its good to know - 2 - so I can wish my friends from other religions and buy them presents :smile:

It is demonstrably true about British society in general because most of Britain isn't Muslim. It's likely that most people who don't know any Muslims would have no clue it's Ramadan. If I didn't have an account on TSR then I genuinely wouldn't know it either. However, something like Christmas is unavoidable because it's all over the TV and in shops etc.
(edited 7 years ago)
We? You want everyone to think like you?
Reply 96
I don't quite understand this post as I've not seen anything really to do with Ramadan, tbh, if it wasn't for me having Muslim friends, I probably wouldn't even know it was Ramadan. Anyway, whats the problem, its good to see different religions expressing their faith and showing that its their holy month or whatever, I do with Christmas and lent, and its a good way for for others to learn about that religion.
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Because a large percent of the population are starving and dehyrdating themselves during the day time. Its bad for production, bad for business, bad for practicing education and in some instances bad for the NHS because Muslims who refuse to take medication such as tablets because they cant drink water. (Before you say the old, sick are exempt... these are anecdotes i have heard from GP's)

I imagine soon we will have to make accommodations to negate some of these effects likely to the detriment and inconvenience of the wider population (I think exams were touted as being moved etc)

I have many muslim friends and they have said that it is advised to break your fast if you have to take a medication. Same applies if you are travelling, pregnant, not feeling well due to menstruation, and like a million other things! :tongue:

They're not as strict as they seem. Most of the people I know do not fast if they have to go to school.

About accommodating them, I don't think we need to. If they're not eating, it's none of our business lol. It'd be the opposite if they had to, say, eat 5 burgers a day. Then the places that sell burgers would have to accommodate the increase in demand.

Other than restaurants, I don't see how it's bad for business. It's not like they hibernate! LOL
I don't see how other people abstaining from food affects me in the slightest. Like some other people said, if it weren't for my Muslim friends I wouldn't have known it was Ramadan. And even now that I know, so what? It's like knowing about Chinese New Year. It's a thing that happens. Not really my business.

My business is Christmas :xmas: :groovy:
Original post by ib_hopeful
I have many muslim friends and they have said that it is advised to break your fast if you have to take a medication. Same applies if you are travelling, pregnant, not feeling well due to menstruation, and like a million other things! :tongue:

They're not as strict as they seem. Most of the people I know do not fast if they have to go to school.

About accommodating them, I don't think we need to. If they're not eating, it's none of our business lol. It'd be the opposite if they had to, say, eat 5 burgers a day. Then the places that sell burgers would have to accommodate the increase in demand.

Other than restaurants, I don't see how it's bad for business. It's not like they hibernate! LOL

I imagine most will do but man i cringe for those who don't :frown:

I mean if peoples productivity goes down it may be bad for business.. i dont know if thats the case though but i cannot imagine no food or drink for daylight hours (How many is the UK this year like 15 hours?) will not have a negative impact on performance

Quick Reply

Latest