The Student Room Group

Official OCR New Spec AS Level Physics: Depth in physics - 9th of May

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ronnydandam
was it 2.04

Yes it was but i rounded to 2.0% (2sf)
Original post by GCSEsThen
No its 2% because you can measure to +/- 0.5 mm not +/- 1mm

WHY don't people understand that OCR doesn't mind either one; I'll even send u the link to their practical skills handbook where it says due to the confusion in textbooks both are acceptable. http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/295483-practical-skills-handbook.pdf
Go to page 44 and look at the bit that says note.
Original post by Mizzeeboy
So long as all of the points on either side of the line were about the same then I don't see whether this should matter as remember you are dealing with experimental data which is not theoretically right.

It was theoretically supposed to go through the origin, as the equation given was of the form y=mx+c, with no intercept - but it didn't...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by pointon.joel
It was theoretically supposed to go through the origin, as the equation given was of the form y=mx+c, with no intercept - but it didn't...

Both the axes didn't start at 0 so how would it be able to go through the origin ;P.
X axis started at 2 and y axis started at like 10/
Original post by Parhomus
Both the axes didn't start at 0 so how would it be able to go through the origin ;P.
X axis started at 2 and y axis started at like 10/

Good point. That would be why... :wink:
670 Hz right due to significant figures
Original post by mahmzo
670 Hz right due to significant figures

Yup, 667Hz
Reply 228
Original post by Turtlebunny
I got this.
I got 5800 for the gradient and 0.11 for the resistivity.
For the gradient, were we meant to write it in standard form on the answer line?

Are these roughly the correct answers?

Yes, normally its to two significant figures, so should be in standard form but you may get away with it. And Im sure there will be a range, hopefully it will be quite broad.
Original post by pointon.joel

The x axis began at 2 and the y axis started at some random value
Original post by voltz
Yes, normally its to two significant figures, so should be in standard form but you may get away with it. And Im sure there will be a range, hopefully it will be quite broad.

Yeah I left it as 5800, who knows. Hopefully I didn't drop more than 15 or so overall. Despite putting the correct things down for the 6 markers, I waffled an awful lot, so I don't know what I'll get there.
Reply 231
Original post by ronnydandam
not a chance, old spec was like normally 70% for an A if I remember correctly, I think 53 ish

This was probably one of the most straight forward one in my opinion with only a few tricky questions so I think maybe around 54 aswell - hopefully the Breadth one will have lower boundaries
Reply 232
Original post by Turtlebunny
Yeah I left it as 5800, who knows. Hopefully I didn't drop more than 15 or so overall. Despite putting the correct things down for the 6 markers, I waffled an awful lot, so I don't know what I'll get there.

Im aiming to drop no more than 15 too since that would be an A in my opinion. And totally the same, I just put anything down about the photoelectric effect and perhaps didnt make the sepcific points needed.

Either way, I think that paper was very generous since there were no complicated questions
Original post by voltz
This was probably one of the most straight forward one in my opinion with only a few tricky questions so I think maybe around 54 aswell - hopefully the Breadth one will have lower boundaries

yeah according to that teacher on here breadth will be around 45
If somebody could tell me how the hell I got 2900 for the gradient I'd be grateful. Unless 2900 was the answer to another question.... And no didn't do the area underneath
Original post by voltz
Im aiming to drop no more than 15 too since that would be an A in my opinion. And totally the same, I just put anything down about the photoelectric effect and perhaps didnt make the sepcific points needed.

Either way, I think that paper was very generous since there were no complicated questions

I may have just scraped an A, if I'm lucky. Good luck to you!
By the way for the questions about the kinetic energy and finding the initial velocity did you guys use 28ms^-1 or 30ms^-1. I used 28 so for the next question i got 28.7, the one after that I got 66J; I think everyone got the value for mgh which was like 3.14 J and for the last one I got like 62.7J.
Reply 237
Original post by Parhomus
By the way for the questions about the kinetic energy and finding the initial velocity did you guys use 28ms^-1 or 30ms^-1. I used 28 so for the next question i got 28.7, the one after that I got 66J; I think everyone got the value for mgh which was like 3.14 J and for the last one I got like 62.7J.

I jused 28.2 and then got 28.9 but there will be a little range as some people will use the 30ms^1 given in the question. For the rest I believe I got the same, I just used the KE equation then the GPE one and took one for the other for the last part
Original post by voltz
I jused 28.2 and then got 28.9 but there will be a little range as some people will use the 30ms^1 given in the question. For the rest I believe I got the same, I just used the KE equation then the GPE one and took one for the other for the last part

Hey i used 30. I got a value of 30.7. Is that correct
Original post by voltz

Nice; for the one about how to know if the diameter had changed; did you write about how the reading on the ohm meter would change.I wrote since R=pl/A and p and l were constant if R changed so would A and so the diameter will have changed. BTW why did they use the metal plates, i wrote in order to reduce contact resistance but idk if that's correct.

Quick Reply

Latest