The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel Geography 2016 Contested Planet/Geographical Research

Scroll to see replies

Section b)

a)
China advantages - less reliance on imports, more spending on infrastructure and high SDI.
China disadvantages - Ageing population, inefficient economy (communism) and not as good at 'doing business'.
India advantages - good at 'doing business', free market, positive correlation between level of democracy and GDP per person, working population.
India disadvantages - reliance on foreign imports for energy, corruption and high levels of poverty.

b)
Marxism (China) - inefficient economy, state controlled and inclusive.
Capitalism (India) - Higher levels of wealth disparity, poverty and reliance on foreign imports.

I argued that there was no evidence to link political systems to the SDI score, because the highest SDI scores were of countries whose political systems are democracies, like NZ and the UK. Figure 5 (?) also showed a positive correlation between level of democracy and GDP per capita.

c)
2030: India emerging superpower, China a potential superpower
2050: India and China a potential superpower.

I argued that although China will overtake the US in terms of economic development, they don't have the level of global influence as the US does and many of views commented on how the Chinese economy is both inefficient and state controlled.
Original post by shepherd018
its was disgusting... for B i wrote about the sustainable strategies such as restoration (aral sea), conservation and bottom up projects using appropriate technology. I argued that Sustainable strategies are difficult to implement on a large scale like china due to there rapid growth and that large scale projects like the Three Gorges Dam and South North water project are needed to meet demand

What did others put?!

i talked about conservation recycling reusing water harvesting drip irrigation etc and said how it can meet demand to an extewnt however they are difficult to implement due to opinions, and i used the 3 gorges for comparison at one point not sure if thats right :/
(edited 7 years ago)
I F*cked up that paper so much, my structure was terrible and the shock of section B made me completely forgot about how you had to use synoptic links :frown:
Reply 563
For the synoptic economies question I mentioned more spending on infrastructure and more TNC's for China meaning more trade which would increase the strength of their economy
God that was pretty Awful. Energy was easy then it all turned to **** from water onwards. How the hell where we meant to know the exact geographical locations of each city and why the citys water cost were as cheap/expensive as they were?
Section B was so bad. The grade boundaries better be low
Reply 566
Could you put desalination in the water B question?
Original post by Tom5pence
God that was pretty Awful. Energy was easy then it all turned to **** from water onwards. How the hell where we meant to know the exact geographical locations of each city and why the citys water cost were as cheap/expensive as they were?

yes i completely agree lol that source question was absolutely horrible! What did you write for b? I talked about conservation recyclying/reusing and new technologies such as drip irrigation water harvesting etc im not sure if thats completely right i talked about both negative and positives of the strategies
Original post by OrdinaryStudent
yes i completely agree lol that source question was absolutely horrible! What did you write for b? I talked about conservation recyclying/reusing and new technologies such as drip irrigation water harvesting etc im not sure if thats completely right i talked about both negative and positives of the strategies

Ah i didnt write about that! Me and my mate wrote about transboundrary laws and law of the river, so that water if fairly distributed (Colarado river) in order too meet demand, as well water pathaways (snowy mountain scheme in Australia and the Water transfer scheme in China, to help area's with increasing demands yet with insufficient rainfall patterns)
Ah i didnt write about that! Me and my mate wrote about transboundrary laws and law of the river, so that water if fairly distributed (Colarado river) in order too meet demand, as well water pathaways (snowy mountain scheme in Australia and the Water transfer scheme in China, to help area's with increasing demands yet with insufficient rainfall patterns)

but isnt the snowy mountains scheme not sustainable?
I did Energy and Tech Fix. I feel like I was the only one to do it. Anyone else pick Tech Fix?

As soon as I saw water, I avoided it so fast and went to tech.

What did people put for Tech Fix part A and B?
Original post by jake4198
Section b)

a)
China advantages - less reliance on imports, more spending on infrastructure and high SDI.
China disadvantages - Ageing population, inefficient economy (communism) and not as good at 'doing business'.
India advantages - good at 'doing business', free market, positive correlation between level of democracy and GDP per person, working population.
India disadvantages - reliance on foreign imports for energy, corruption and high levels of poverty.

b)
Marxism (China) - inefficient economy, state controlled and inclusive.
Capitalism (India) - Higher levels of wealth disparity, poverty and reliance on foreign imports.

I argued that there was no evidence to link political systems to the SDI score, because the highest SDI scores were of countries whose political systems are democracies, like NZ and the UK. Figure 5 (?) also showed a positive correlation between level of democracy and GDP per capita.

c)
2030: India emerging superpower, China a potential superpower
2050: India and China a potential superpower.

I argued that although China will overtake the US in terms of economic development, they don't have the level of global influence as the US does and many of views commented on how the Chinese economy is both inefficient and state controlled.

For (b) I didn't mention NZ or the UK, but I argued that India's democracy has held its economic growth back compared to China (accountability of the government so has to consider workers' rights and environmental protection), hence the lower SPI. I expect that the mark scheme will credit either approach, as long as arguments aren't overly biased.

For (c) I argued that China could be a superpower by 2030 if it increases cultural exports, and India will be a potential superpower. For 2050, I said that it is more difficult to predict, as the effects of climate change and the growth of the other BRICs and MINTs on the growth of China and India are unpredictable, so it could be a multi-polar world.
I think i won't be going to uni because of that paper. I ran out of time, didn't really plan and I just felt so lost. Couple kids crying at the back. Bless em'

What did you guys do for biodiversity/energy? I was meant to do water but that figure. Here's what I remember, Its badly and briefly written here because I can't remember (lazy): For synoptics I just spammed south-north transfer schemes and dams.
Energy -
a) about renewables- goods bads. like nuclear: accident, long decay, stigmas. etc. just going through each resource like that, and I structured it on:suistable, environment and longterm etc.

b) Anwr and arctic for environment, and Coal in the uK and Turkey-austria for exploiting iran/iraq pipeline for technical difficulties ( I got desperate )

Biodiv -
A) developing= less concern for env and more concern on development. Congo- low income, no tech for mass deforest. etc. India and the other country increase afforestation because mass deforestation? Recognised wellbeing

A) Global: CITES, UNCLOS, IWF. Regional: Fynbos, Udzungwa case studies Local: consumerist -dolphin friendly tuna etc.Superpowers (don't get me started)

SuperPowers
a) can't remember ?? current economic dev China: strength: Highest GDP, Imports less oil than india. positve trade balanceweak: slowing growth, current growth less than china (6.9%) exports: low tech,India strenght: High-tech. higher growth rate than china currentlyweak: less gdp,

B) Um, SPI rankings communist - control eg: censorship, no twitter etc. Faster decision making -three gorges, people displaced HOWEVER India - democracy, similar to england's, more focus on subsidies than infrastructure = lower spi rank?c) 2030 and 2050 I just used the ageing figures and climate change. Conclusion - not a high rank because of highest population -need feeding/water etc. ?
but isnt the snowy mountains scheme not sustainable?

Exactly. I commented how although its a method of meeting future energy demands, it is fairly unsustainable
Exactly. I commented how although its a method of meeting future energy demands, it is fairly unsustainable

did you talk about any sustainable strategies? and would what i spoke about be credit worthy?
Anyone do development? Part A was pretty good but think I messed up the second part, I talked about the costs of aid i.e. corruption, tied aid etc, but then I talked about better alternatives to aid i.e. investment, because I couldn't remember the benefits of aid.. remembered loads as soon as I got out of the exam
did you talk about any sustainable strategies? and would what i spoke about be credit worthy?

Your points beat mine, they are both sustainable ways of meeting future demand so definitely! The Law Of The River although i counter-argued suggesting it leads to constant legal battles between upper and lower basin states, therefore legislation is crucial for fair distribution of water sources in the future. I couldnt think of anything else to write
Your points beat mine, they are both sustainable ways of meeting future demand so definitely! The Law Of The River although i counter-argued suggesting it leads to constant legal battles between upper and lower basin states, therefore legislation is crucial for fair distribution of water sources in the future. I couldnt think of anything else to write

I wrote about desalination supplying 70% of urban water demand in Saudi Arabia. I said its relatively sustainable and can meet demand in Saudi Arabia, however, it is not a viable strategy in some areas due to geographical location and lack of funds available to construct desalinisation plants

Is that right?

to give more insight into my answers (sorry im really worried lol), for industries i put reusing/recytlcing agriculture - better technology/management, domestic - conservation etc and positives and negatives of that. As a desperate last report i talked about a NGO strategy and compared it to 3 gorges dam and how the sustainable strategy is much smaller scale does this seem fine? im very worried!!!!!

Your point about better management of the colorado is very good though
Water conflict - for A i wrote1) water vendors driving up price2) access also driving up prices3) China and India have water supplies3) effects are people use more water if more access4) less disposable income to spend on other things for poorer countries For B1) Dams are sustainable as they store water but assessed it by saying it wasn't because it results in relocation (3 Gorges), and aids introduced in Lesothu2) River restoration is sustainable but would be better to not change the rivers3) Agreements sustainable as works around what exists but then spoke about conflicting views and how Indus River shows that agreements won't work in the long term. Concluded that conservation was the best For development gap A:1) GDP is good as countries that are bigger do not have an advantage but GDP is not reflective but rather PPP should be used due to living standards2) Electricity consumption is a good method because consumption leads to access and access to electricity usually linked to most developed countries3) Women in parliament doesn't reflect emancipation of women4) Education investment does not mean good education as Mexico have one of the worst schooling rates For development gap B: 151) Aid is good as it gives countries chance to finance projects they otherwise would not be able too2) China and Africa relationship so money not in hands of corrupt nationals but exploited and encourages dependency3) SAP and HIPC for IMF - doesn't focus on the things that need fixing Section B was, however, horrible. Strengths and limitations of economy 14- Strength: population, technological advances- Weakness: population demographic, inequalities India and China social scores 10- India despite being democracy scores lower so may not really be a democracy- China is probably more efficient- Scores were not as expected- Waffled a lot. What will India and China be in 2030 and 2050? 16- Regional powers as: inequalities, ageing population, won't economically sustain for long, both countries are adhering to Western development such as flooding temples and important cultural artefacts, impacts of climate change- Ran out of time. How do you think I did?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending