The Student Room Group

Edexcel History A2: Unit 3E: Superpower Relations (Cold War) Help

Hi,

For part a, for the multiple choice, will you ever get two questions from the same topic, i.e. two questions on detente or the arms race?

I'm hoping to not study Sino-Soviet if that's the case. Thanks,

Scroll to see replies

It's never come up before, I very much doubt you would be suppose it's a possibility?
It's always a possibility but my teacher said that it had never happened before so would be incredibly unlikely to happen.
I know that it's impossibe to say that two questions on the same topic will never happen, but it really will never happen.
What's everyones predictions for tomorrows questions??
Reply 5
does anyone have any resources for controversy B??????????????
anyone have any predictions?
help on structuring the controversy answer?
I am certain it will be Sino-Soviet relations and Peaceful Coexistence. There has been a pattern from 2010 where Detente always comes up with Arms race, and Sino-Soviet always comes up with Peaceful Coexistence. Detente and Arms race came up last year, so I am 90% sure it will be the alternate pair this year. Of course the source based question is always on the same two topics so no need to worry there.
Reply 9
Original post by Redmonds
I am certain it will be Sino-Soviet relations and Peaceful Coexistence. There has been a pattern from 2010 where Detente always comes up with Arms race, and Sino-Soviet always comes up with Peaceful Coexistence. Detente and Arms race came up last year, so I am 90% sure it will be the alternate pair this year. Of course the source based question is always on the same two topics so no need to worry there.

Im worried that Detente and Arms race will come up again :frown:
Reply 10
It will almost certi be peaceful coexistence and sino-soviet relations. If its not then i'm gonna be vexed.
Looking over past questions, I think theres a chance that for the peaceful coexistence question might be something specific, like Khrushchev and Malenkov's New Course and how it impacted on peace, or summit diplomacy. The last couple of ones have been quite broad, or on Eisenhower.

please could you advise me on how to structure the source based answers? my teacher has told us not to write an introduction and hasnt really helped much with the body of the essay
Original post by jamesmoore
please could you advise me on how to structure the source based answers? my teacher has told us not to write an introduction and hasnt really helped much with the body of the essay

What your teacher has advised you is nonsense. You need to write an introduction, just as much as a conclusion. The best advice I can give is to cross reference and challenge the sources. 24 of the marks are from source evaluation, so you need to be mentioning a source every paragraph. The 'Own knowledge' part is just to back up the sources, not like on the 30 marker where all the marks are from 'Own knowledge'
Original post by heym8
Im worried that Detente and Arms race will come up again :frown:

Ultimately we don't know for sure, but given that the four topics have been specifically paired for 6 years running, I am 90%-99% sure it won't be arms race or detente
Reply 14
Original post by jamesmoore
help on structuring the controversy answer?

Ive been taught to do it this way-

Intro: what do the sources say, whats your argument

Part 1 (Weakest interpretation): Source A says... This is evidenced by... This is supported by Source B/C
However this view is limited...(what doesn't it acknowledge, what evidence undermines it)

Part 2 (Okay interpretation): Source B says.... This is evidenced by (own knowledge)... This is supported by Source A/C
However this view is limited...(what doesn't it acknowledge, what evidence undermines it)

Part 3: (Best interpretation): Source C says... This is evidenced by (own knowledge)... This is supported by Sources A/B
However this view is limited... (what doesn't it acknowledge, what evidence undermines it)

Conclusion: Sum up the strength of the final interpretation. Re-state your argument
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 15
For source based my structure is (hard to explain)
Introduce sources with overview of their view using quotes
Basic knowledge behind this
More specific quotes
More specific knowledge
Link
However point
Reply 16
Ultimately we don't know for sure, but given that the four topics have been specifically paired for 6 years running, I am 90%-99% sure it won't be arms race or detente

well fingers crossed edexcel dont try and deliberately screw us over... but no doubt they will try.
Original post by heym8
well fingers crossed edexcel dont try and deliberately screw us over... but no doubt they will try.

It wouldn't be in there interest to do mess up the cycle as they want to be a popular exam board for centres to choose :biggrin:

What are you struggling with on detente and arms race?
Reply 18
It wouldn't be in there interest to do mess up the cycle as they want to be a popular exam board for centres to choose :biggrin:

What are you struggling with on detente and arms race?

Im not learning the arms race and i know little about detente. :frown:
Original post by heym8
Im not learning the arms race and i know little about detente. :frown:

Detente is probably the hardest one to write about, I'll try and put some ideas down if it helps

Why did detente develop: Soviet economic problems (Money needs to be directed to changing the economy from geared towards military production to consumer goods); US economic problems (Vietnam war left a big budget deficit, and 1973 oil crisis causes economic problems); Domestic US problems (Military spending is too high, needs to be spent on social programs to stop civil unrest); Diplomacy (Helsinki accords in 1975, SALT 1 & SALT 2, nuclear parity is reached, mutual acknowledgement that nuclear was has to be avoided); Increased Soviet-US trade ('Grain deal' of 1973, trade grows from 1.95 billion to 2.3 billion from 1974-75); Apollo-Soyuz link up (major feat of cooperation, sharing of technology) and the needs of Europe (Willy Brandt's 'Ostpolitik', forging of relations between East and West Germany)

Why did detente break down: Soviet violation of the Helsinki accords (house arrest of Czech leader Vaclav Havel etc); Soviet invasion of Afghanistan in 1979 (USA respond by refusing to ratify SALT 2); Proxy wars in Angola and El Salvador (USSR and USA back opposite sides); Growing domestic US opposition to detente (Belief that Carter and Ford had been too soft on communism); Incompetent Soviet leadership (Brezhnev's ill health makes his decision making pretty terrible)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending