The Student Room Group

GCSE Maths UNIT 2 AQA + UNOFFICIAL MARK SCHEME 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jamie Vardy
How come barely anyone did this paper? Anyway, was it hard or easy?

Easy or hard is subjective, but, there was no surprises. Every topic that came up has been in previous papers.

I did really well in this paper and think anyone who has worked through mathswatch and done previous papers would do very well too.

I messed up the completing the square question. I worked out the answer as soon as I left the exam, but screwed it up under exam conditions. I believe I have 100% on every other question but fear i lost all the marks for that one question.

Anyone remember how many marks this question was?

The question was something like this...

(x-3)² - b = + ax + (a or b cant remember)

Find a and b

a should have been -6 and (i think b was -3), but i totally messed up and got a=9 i think 😯

Overall im extreamly happy though 😀
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Bulletzone
There was a number machine question which involved you using Simultaneous equations to solve a and b.

I have the answer but can't remember the question, If anyone can tell me I can add it it.

The question was something along the lines of:
a (x3) (-5) = b
and when the input to the number machine is a+b the output was 64
@Bulletzone there was a question or two on surds; you had to rationalise the denominator for one of them and the other involved expanding the brackets to get an answer in the form a (square root sign) 3.
@Bulletzone there was a question or two on surds; you had to rationalise the denominator for one of them and the other involved expanding the brackets to get an answer in the form a (square root sign) 3.

Yeah I got 28-(10* root 3), which is what everyone else I know got too.
Original post by MD_Meridius
Yeah I got 28-(10* root 3), which is what everyone else I know got too.

I got this answer as well.
What do i need to get a b or a c (urgent) ?
What do i need to get b or a (urgent)?
Original post by noellenoetics

My friend worked out that on average, you needed 83% across all 3 papers to get A* (based on the last 3 years).
Original post by MD_Meridius
My friend worked out that on average, you needed 83% across all 3 papers to get A* (based on the last 3 years).

That's good to know, thanks for sharing. Tried to rate this post but it said i must rate some other members before i can rate you again.
Original post by noellenoetics

My teacher says, as a rule of thumb, that half marks is roughtly the start of a B grade.
So if your confident about ask your answers until the staple, you should be ok for a B atleast.
Don't forget all the marks from all the papers get combined for your overall grade.
The most marks come from unit 3, where you can get upto 80 marks of the overall 200 (across all three exams).
So rather than worrying about what you have already done, focus on doing the best you can in unit 3

Hope this help
(edited 7 years ago)
Wtf THIS **** AIN'T AQA

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by vault111
Wtf THIS **** AIN'T AQA

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes it is, but you might have done the linear exams instead of this exam, so you should probably make your way over there.
Original post by bigoliver
my teacher says, as a rule of thumb, that half marks is roughtly the start of a b grade.
So if your confident about ask your answers until the staple, you should be ok for a b atleast.
Don't forget all the marks from all the papers get combined for your overall grade.
The most marks come from unit 3, where you can get upto 80 marks of the overall 200 (across all three exams).
So rather than worrying about what you have already done, focus on doing the best you can in unit 3

hope this help

thankk youu :smile:
Looks like the unit 1 and unit 2 papers are already available online, i can't open them so must be for teachers only?

http://allaboutmaths.aqa.org.uk/283

Screenshot_2016-06-13-12-14-55.png
@bigoliver How are you preparing for Unit 3 tomorrow? Also, the links for the 2016 papers are for teachers.
@bigoliver How are you preparing for Unit 3 tomorrow? Also, the links for the 2016 papers are for teachers.

Hi ive been doing past papers, then relearning anything I've struggled on. I get 76/80 one paper then 64/80 the next.
I think i only need about 64/80 to get the Astar Im seeking but don't want to leave anything to chance so im getting my head back into another past paper.

Think I'll do some quick 3D trig today and redo circke theroms with mathswatch.

That and doing a past paper will be my lot for today :smile:

What you doing in prep mate?
Original post by bigoliver
Hi ive been doing past papers, then relearning anything I've struggled on. I get 76/80 one paper then 64/80 the next.
I think i only need about 64/80 to get the Astar Im seeking but don't want to leave anything to chance so im getting my head back into another past paper.

Think I'll do some quick 3D trig today and redo circke theroms with mathswatch.

That and doing a past paper will be my lot for today :smile:

What you doing in prep mate?

Just going over A*/A grade topics like Vectors, Cosine rule etc. I get caught out sometimes on the exams so looking at hard questions (big ones like 5-7 markers). I'm not bothering with 3D trigonometry; do you think it will come up?
Im sure trig will come up, may as well go over 3D trig then im covered for both :smile:
I didnt use to understand vectors until i watched the mathswatch video on Vectors, she explains it in a really clear and easy way. Im now seen as a vectors expert in my class and it's fully thanks to that vide! Id definatly recomend you watch the mathswatch vectors video if you a little unsure. She even explains how to prove 3 points form a straight line.
Vectors are fairly common and are worth quite a few points.

Good luck tomorrow mate, hope to see you here after the exam
The exam was so hard.
My unofficial answers for this Unit 3, Part one. Questions in order first to last.

Edit:
Had pointed out to me, Train A graph is incorrect, Train A should be from (09:00,0) to (11:00,120)

20160617_000147-1.jpg
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending