The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Is it just me or was 1992 II stupidly easy. I completed 6 questions in half an hour which normally means my watch isn't working lel😃
Reply 701
Original post by IrrationalRoot
Never knew this :frown:. Thanks for the info, but I should've known before...

Whoops, was thinking "a bit too late for me to let him know now"... oh well, you don't need them anyway! :wink:
Original post by Zacken
Whoops, was thinking "a bit too late for me to let him know now"... oh well, you don't need them anyway! :wink:

Thanks, would've been nice for the newer papers but yeah I have been doing mainly older papers than 1996 recently so haven't lost out on too much hopefully.
Reply 703
Original post by krishdesai7
Is it just me or was 1992 II stupidly easy. I completed 6 questions in half an hour which normally means my watch isn't working lel😃

Yes, it was. iirc I did Q1-2, 4-8, 13 in one fell swoop. That's the problem with older papers, they lack consistency! One of them will be utterly trivial compared to recent standards and the following wouldn't be out of place on a tripos paper. :lol:
Original post by EnglishMuon
nah itl be fine :smile: Just do a couple new qs in the meantime and maybe an old paper or something a couple days before just to remind urself of the exam technique, as u know what u need by now.

Thanks m8. I can't believe it that I have STEP I/II exams next week. I hope all the hard work pays at the end. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Insight314
I haven't done any STEP Prep this week and I/II are next week, mainly due to the fact that I had so many exams this week. Is this bad? Although I am currently confident in getting high 1/S, I am not sure if it affects me negatively not doing STEP work for a week. I am definitely doing I/II this weekend and I am also going to do quite a bit of STEP questions the day before the exam so that would be all right.

How is STEP prep going for you and the other lads in here?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Na it won't make much of an effect just do a few questions a day to keep ontop of it during exams to stay 'fresh'
Its going good for me. Doing a mock rn. II 2012. Make sure to get alot of sleep the nght before.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Another question about III 2013 Q2

Spoiler

what on earth is q1 step i 2014 kms question i tell you
Original post by Number Nine
what on earth is q1 step i 2014 kms question i tell you

Its easy. Dum boi

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is anyone freaking out about the fact that the exam's in one week? Or is it just because I know nothing 🙈🙈
Reply 710
Original post by krishdesai7
Is anyone freaking out about the fact that the exam's in one week? Or is it just because I know nothing 🙈🙈

Yes, some normality! The insane people on this thread don't get that it's time to panic! :lol:
Original post by Zacken
Yes, it was. iirc I did Q1-2, 4-8, 13 in one fell swoop. That's the problem with older papers, they lack consistency! One of them will be utterly trivial compared to recent standards and the following wouldn't be out of place on a tripos paper. :lol:

Could you give me an example of this (just curious)? I acknowledge that you're probably exaggerating a bit though lol.
Could you give me an example of this (just curious)? I acknowledge that you're probably exaggerating a bit though lol.

The number theory tripos paper has questions which we can do now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
The number theory tripos paper has questions which we can do now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's nice to know that most people can do part (b) of the first question
here:
https://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/sites/www.maths.cam.ac.uk/files/pre2014/undergrad/pastpapers/2015/ia/PaperIA_1.pdf
Reply 714

STEP III 2015 had a few questions which someone (Shamika, who knows tripos papers inside out) said wouldn't look out of place on a tripos paper at all. I haven't done the paper myself yet, so can't judge. :tongue:

Edit to add: 1987, III, Q7 is definitely something that could appear on a Tripos paper.

Edit^2: There's also this. :lol:

Edit^3: That rational root theorem on some recent III paper would have no difficulty popping up as a a short analysis analysis question with less guidance as well.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
STEP III 2015 had a few questions which someone (Shamika, who knows tripos papers inside out) said wouldn't look out of place on a tripos paper at all. I haven't done the paper myself yet, so can't judge. :tongue:

Edit to add: 1987, III, Q7 is definitely something that could appear on a Tripos paper.

Edit^2: There's also this. :lol:

Edit^3: That rational root theorem on some recent III paper would have no difficulty popping up as a a short analysis analysis question with less guidance as well.

Regarding Edit^2, I remember doing that question! STEP I funnily enough. And haha they are really similar, but that Q was fairly tough tbf.
Also I was about to point out the "shew that" in the Tripos Q but then I realised how old the paper was so I'm guessing it might be some sort of old English lol.
Can someone link me the STEP 1 2015 mark scheme please?
Original post by bdoran98

it's on the admission office website. comes along with the 2015 papers
Reply 718
Original post by bdoran98

Go on the ATS website and download the "STEP 2015" zip file here.
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending