The Student Room Group

OCR (Not MEI) S1 Wednesday 8th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CBMFM99
What school do you go to? Is it a public school?

Private.

Almost everyone doing Maths at A-Level here has an A* in IGCSE Maths. I think only 10 people out of the 160 last year got an A, but none of them are doing maths. Yeah we are pretty good at Maths...and most people seemed to think that grade boundaries for C1 would probably be around the 53-54 mark, despite very good mathematical abilities. Everyone thought that C2 was average and S1 was slightly easier. Although no-one thought that there were any extremely difficult/easy exams, apart from C1.
Original post by FTSE420
Private.

Almost everyone doing Maths at A-Level here has an A* in IGCSE Maths. I think only 10 people out of the 160 last year got an A, but none of them are doing maths. Yeah we are pretty good at Maths...and most people seemed to think that grade boundaries for C1 would probably be around the 53-54 mark, despite very good mathematical abilities. Everyone thought that C2 was average and S1 was slightly easier. Although no-one thought that there were any extremely difficult/easy exams, apart from C1.

Ah right fair enough. I'm at a state 6th form, but it's a very academic one and the grade requirements to get in are high!
Original post by Bobby21231
Does mr m not do a mark scheme for stats?

Original post by SGHD26716
I was thinking the same.

No need - I've checked, verified and corrected the mark allocation on the unofficial mark scheme on google docs created by Metasysta.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uL5DuXry9Kc-sc2DE1QXz7e2FqW9JsV0TmVhI79VAGI/edit?usp=sharing
Original post by swagmister
My teacher said 80% in AS and 90% average in c3 and c4

You can actually get 60% average in AS and still get an A* ... as long as you get 100% in all 3 exams at A2!
Original post by sen99
Do i need 90% in AS maths to get an A star in a level? Assuming i get 90% in A2

70% would suffice in AS as long as you get 90% in A2. You need to average 90% in C3 & C4, with an overall average across the 6 modules of at least 80%.
Original post by Mr M (jr)
No need - I've checked, verified and corrected the mark allocation on the unofficial mark scheme on google docs created by Metasysta.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uL5DuXry9Kc-sc2DE1QXz7e2FqW9JsV0TmVhI79VAGI/edit?usp=sharing

Ok thankyou, was just wondering if you will be doing a mark scheme for s2 and d1 next week?
Reply 286
Original post by Mr M (jr)
70% would suffice in AS as long as you get 90% in A2. You need to average 90% in C3 & C4, with an overall average across the 6 modules of at least 80%.

I thought you need an A at AS to be eligible for A*
Original post by SGHD26716
I thought you need an A at AS to be eligible for A*

Not correct.
Original post by Bobby21231
Ok thankyou, was just wondering if you will be doing a mark scheme for s2 and d1 next week?

Not D1 as we don't have anyone sitting D1 this year, but I've done the S2 paper just now and concur with xsanda's solutions here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3994951&page=3
What grades dod you guys get in s1. I just did this paper as mock and found it very hard.
Original post by Butterflyshy
What grades dod you guys get in s1. I just did this paper as mock and found it very hard.

I've just done it as a mock too! I didn't get it. We have the markscheme here but we don't have any actual questions. My mind has gone blank and I can't remember them.
Anyone got any revision tips for S1? Except for doing past papers? My teacher is so bad for teaching S1 and perms and combs is literally killing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ke.e0908
Anyone got any revision tips for S1? Except for doing past papers? My teacher is so bad for teaching S1 and perms and combs is literally killing

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.mathshelper.co.uk/OCR%20S1%20Revision%20Sheet.pdf
Can be quite useful
Hi,

I've done most of the past papers but am not sure what else I can do to practice.
Are there any resources/other papers that I can do?
Also, really struggling with permutations and combinations so is there anything I can do to improve?

Thanks!
Reply 294
physicsandmathstutor.com has Solomon OCR Papers
Anyone found the unofficial mark scheme for OCR AS 1 yet?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending