Scroll to see replies

Reply 600
Original post by itsConnor_
what specifically in Africa? :redface:

things like oil exploitation .......my marks are flying away:colonhash:
Original post by xueyun
things like oil exploitation .......my marks are flying away:colonhash:

that a specific case study you looked at? which country? :tongue:
Can tar sands relate to an environmentally sensitive area in terms of its boreal forest which is fragile
Original post by deboisalex
I did Energy and Tech Fix. I feel like I was the only one to do it. Anyone else pick Tech Fix?

As soon as I saw water, I avoided it so fast and went to tech.

What did people put for Tech Fix part A and B?
I did energy and tech fix as well!
Reply 604
Original post by princessjk
omg I did that as well!

I was so confused about the term 'technical difficulty'
Reply 605
that a specific case study you looked at? which country? :tongue:

oilfied in Nigeria, which is invested by China......this is a case study in development gap:s-smilie:
Original post by Thefamouscfc
Can tar sands relate to an environmentally sensitive area in terms of its boreal forest which is fragile

I said tar sands are both technically difficult and environmentally sensitive. Yeah, they bulldoze loads of boreal forest and release contaminated water into the Athabasca River, leading to deformities/death to birds (e.g. naphthenic acids) and the methanogenic bacteria releases methane = GHG (not sure if relevant). water pollution also in athabasca

Original post by xueyun
oilfied in Nigeria, which is invested by China......this is a case study in development gap:s-smilie:

Oh yeah, we looked at Nigeria for disruption of pathways (piracy), you could probably get away with that. Not sure about technically difficult but depends how you justified it
Whats everyones general consensus about that exam? Personally I think it's one/ if not the hardest paper I've ever seen for geography. Would like to get everyone elses views?
Original post by alunthomass
Whats everyones general consensus about that exam? Personally I think it's one/ if not the hardest paper I've ever seen for geography. Would like to get everyone elses views?

I did energy/water and I liked the energy part b) and thought water part b) was quite challenging in terms of the 'sustainability' focus.

The synoptic was very hard imo, particularly b and c - c was a juggling act between India, China, 2030 and 2050...hard
Original post by princessjk
omg I did that as well!
same what other case studies did you use?
Reply 610
I said tar sands are both technically difficult and environmentally sensitive. Yeah, they bulldoze loads of boreal forest and release contaminated water into the Athabasca River, leading to deformities/death to birds (e.g. naphthenic acids) and the methanogenic bacteria releases methane = GHG (not sure if relevant). water pollution also in athabasca

Oh yeah, we looked at Nigeria for disruption of pathways (piracy), you could probably get away with that. Not sure about technically difficult but depends how you justified it

I talked about oil in Arctic as the environmental sensitive area.....tar sands is actually very good case study for both areas, but I missed it......hope I can get some marks for the technical difficulty one:frown:
Reply 611
Original post by Thefamouscfc

i put water pollution (430 km2 covered by a 130 km2 lake of toxic water) , 4 barrels water to one barrel... emission while heating... not sure about boreal though
Original post by xueyun
I talked about oil in Arctic as the environmental sensitive area.....tar sands is actually very good case study for both areas, but I missed it......hope I can get some marks for the technical difficulty one:frown:

I also did Arctic for environmentally sensitive(techn difficult too as deep water oil) :smile: I went on a bit of a tangent with the cost being geopolitical tension with Russia/Lomonosov Ridge though? Also said Arctic is fragile ecosystem etc
For the biodiversity players questions I talked about the following players: Individuals like David Attenbrough, CITES, small scale conservation schemes and large scale conservation schemes,
I'm scared cos I don't know if small and large scale schemes are players or not I'm confused :frown:(
So tar sands is environmentally sensitive too
Original post by JPFM
Could you put desalination in the water B question?

I wrote that 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 616
Original post by Alextheshorty
See I'm confused because I put global ways was an artificial volcano which reduced the 'potential impacts of global warming' because it actually stopped global warming... and local I did carbon capture. However many of my friends put things like dams, GM crops because these were ways of reducing the 'potential threat'... I'm confused whose right and whose wrong

I did dams gm crops as local and things like sulfur aerosols and space mirrors as global, so hopefully they'll all be accepted
Reply 617
Original post by Raisa97
I wrote that 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah me too
Original post by alunthomass

I agree, i did water and biodiversity and found it very challenging, especially section B, I thought 6C was the easiesty question for me but overall the paper was very harsh
Reply 619
I could've chosen development but didn't feel that I could write 15 marks worth on types of aid so I plumped for water. Figure was hard because there was no clear LEDC/MEDC trend so I had to pretty much talk about all the bars which took a bit more time. Not sure about section b - I talked about low-tech water systems such as rainwater harvesting and filtering, you know, Wateraid type stuff, contrasting with dams and desalination as being effective but 'unsustainable' , but I wanted to get on so didn't really get to conclude.

Biodiversity, not bad, it's annoying when you learn a case study in depth and a typical question on it doesn't turn up - eg global ecosystem (coral reefs) so I adapted it by saying governments were a player, run the Marine park authority, etc??

Section B threw me off in the sense that the structure was odd, in most of the past papers I've seen its 12-14-14 but this was 12-10-16! Looking back I managed about 2 pages for part C but thinking about it there is quite a lot to talk about since quite a few of the figures have 2050 predictions, if you had time you could've thrown all of them in.

In the past its usually been around 65/90 for an A and 70 for A* (not much difference?) I wonder how much it will be this time? Lowest was 62 and highest 67.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending