The Student Room Group

Official OCR New Spec AS Level Physics: Depth in physics - 9th of May

Scroll to see replies

The percentage error was 2.04% but I wrote 1.02% because I forgot to multiply by 2 as it was L^2. :angry:
Original post by apixytm
For the question that asked for proof I did:

i did similar but used force x distance for W and then defined force as mass x acceleration
Original post by zak_121
The percentage error was 2.04% but I wrote 1.02% because I forgot to multiply by 2 as it was L^2. :angry:

According to earlier posts you may still get the mark.
Because there was some confusion as to using half the instrumental accuracy or the absolute error in apparatus. So if you got 2% you MIGHT get a mark if the examiner is too lazy to check the working out...

Good Luck!
For all the confusion about the velocity question. The question specifically told us to work out the velocity using the answer that they give you for time which is 0.6s not what you get. That should give you 30ms. I am thinking due to the peculiar wording on that question, ocr will not mind if you used your own answer for time.
Guys apparently the percentage uncertainty is 4%.
Original post by elisha.marsh
i did similar but used force x distance for W and then defined force as mass x acceleration

Good as long as you got the answer! a lot of people found it hard in my college unfortunately for them.
Original post by dman2607
For all the confusion about the velocity question. The question specifically told us to work out the velocity using the answer that they give you for time which is 0.6s not what you get. That should give you 30ms. I am thinking due to the peculiar wording on that question, ocr will not mind if you used your own answer for time.

No im pretty sure they said using your answer to part i) show that the velocity is about 30m/s
Original post by mightyned
No im pretty sure they said using your answer to part i) show that the velocity is about 30m/s

I believe it was only 1 mark question (unless I'm incorrect) it doesn't deserve all the attention it is getting.
Original post by mightyned

They said use the answer in part i). Regardless I believe both methods are correct.
For the kinetic energy I got 75 joules. What was the answer to the question after that where it asked the answer for the ke at max height.
Reply 270
Original post by mahmzo
Hey i used 30. I got a value of 30.7. Is that correct

It sounds right, I think they would give you the mark since they told you previously the answer is about 30
Reply 271
Original post by Parhomus
Nice; for the one about how to know if the diameter had changed; did you write about how the reading on the ohm meter would change.I wrote since R=pl/A and p and l were constant if R changed so would A and so the diameter will have changed. BTW why did they use the metal plates, i wrote in order to reduce contact resistance but idk if that's correct.

For that question I assumed they wanted practical answers since it sasid at the top its an investigation - but im not sure.

For the diameter I said they should measure it with a micrometer in several places or use a cyclinder as a mould.

For the metal plate I said that larger length means that the uncertainty would be lower hence giving more accurate results

Anyway put the same?
Original post by voltz
For that question I assumed they wanted practical answers since it sasid at the top its an investigation - but im not sure.

For the diameter I said they should measure it with a micrometer in several places or use a cyclinder as a mould.

For the metal plate I said that larger length means that the uncertainty would be lower hence giving more accurate results

Anyway put the same?

I said it would reduce the effect of random errors as it's easier to connect the circuit, I think you will get the marks though. Do you think I may have gotten the mark
For the gradient I only put 5.7 instead of 5.7 x 10^3 but then when I calculated the resistivity I factored in the x 10^3 and got an answer of 0.108. Will I lose a mark for the gradient?
Original post by mahmzo
I said it would reduce the effect of random errors as it's easier to connect the circuit, I think you will get the marks though. Do you think I may have gotten the mark

I said the same except for for the large metal plates reduce the contact resistance
Original post by TH3-FL45H
For the gradient I only put 5.7 instead of 5.7 x 10^3 but then when I calculated the resistivity I factored in the x 10^3 and got an answer of 0.108. Will I lose a mark for the gradient?

Yes most likely, as 5.7 and 5.7 x 10 ^3 are two totally different values haha. Don't worry itll only be one mark
Original post by elisha.marsh

As did I. Nice one :smile:
Original post by Digimon304
Did anyone get 7.5 for the gradient?

& for the percentage uncertainty question did anyone get 2.04%?

Percentage error was 4.1% cuz you had to do 0.001/0.049 for L and them multiply it by 2 because its L^2 giving 2/49 which us 4.1%
Reply 278
Original post by mahmzo

Honestly, it depends because the answers for practical questions sometimes are specific and sometimes have a lot of possible answers - its just 1 mark though so dont worry about it.
Original post by voltz
Honestly, it depends because the answers for practical questions sometimes are specific and sometimes have a lot of possible answers - its just 1 mark though so dont worry about it.

No unoffical mark scheme up??

Quick Reply

Latest