The Student Room Group

OCR Biology A Exam Thread (Breadth - May 26, 2016 and Depth - June 7, 2016)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1580
Original post by oni176
What would 90-91/140 be? I hope it's a B :frown:

that would probably be a B.
I am guessing from looking at grade boundaries from previous years.
100/140 A
90/140 B
80/140 C

Although the spec is different, I think these grade boundaries are likely, unless ocr lowers them cos before 70% was an A but them papers were quite easy, so this time it might be about 68% if we are lucky 95/140 for an A. it cannot go any lower really
where are the unofficial markschemes???????????? pls
Original post by 11...
100/140 A
90/140 B
80/140 C

Although the spec is different, I think these grade boundaries are likely, unless ocr lowers them cos before 70% was an A but them papers were quite easy, so this time it might be about 68% if we are lucky 95/140 for an A. it cannot go any lower really

A could vary between 98 - 105 marks but I am hoping it is low. It is a new spec and tests knowledge for all of the content for both exams. Since this has been recently introduced, an A mark should roughly be 70-75%, as there were some straightforward questions as you have said and vast majority of other people did not enjoy the depth paper at all.
Reply 1583
Original post by cleggj88
where are the unofficial markschemes???????????? pls

there isn't a proper unofficial mark scheme but there is one unfinished one written by a student on another thread. but that mark scheme covers most of the marks anyway about 65 out of the 70
here is the link
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4148503&page=6&p=65594591#post65594591
go to page 1
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1584
Original post by oni176
A could vary between 98 - 105 marks but I am hoping it is low. It is a new spec and tests knowledge for all of the content for both exams. Since this has been recently introduced, an A mark should roughly be 70-75%, as there were some straightforward questions as you have said and vast majority of other people did not enjoy the depth paper at all.

how well do you think you did overall in biology from having a look at the unofficial mark schemes
Original post by 11...
there isn't a proper unofficial mark scheme but there is one unfinished one written by a student on another thread. but that mark scheme covers most of the marks anyway about 65 out of the 70
here is the link
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4148503&page=6&p=65594591#post65594591
go to page 1

thank you
Reply 1586
Original post by cleggj88
thank you

how well do you think you did???? :smile:
Original post by 11...
how well do you think you did overall in biology from having a look at the unofficial mark schemes

I think roughly 46 on Breadth and 46-47 on Depth, both fairly the same marks. I don't like the practical application questions which appeared a lot in combination of both papers. I think the Depth paper was basically just having the skill to apply your answers to different situations with the lipase activity as an example. Some mathematical stuff also was horrible in my opinion.

I was annoyed that both two papers did not cover important topics such as; cardiac cycle, DNA replication, translation, transcription, initiation and coordination of heart beat, transpiration and potometer, immunity including the role of antibodies+specific, non-specific immune systems, evolution with natural selection and the evidence for evolution, maintaining biodiversity+sampling, triglycerides and phospholipids... and many more. Lots of stuff in the specification did not appear, not even 40% I believe. Like they give you these information but do not ask for it in the actual exam and ask questions on practicals.. Really?.. It's a bit ridiculous in my opinion.. But Biology has always been like that anyway :biggrin:
What is the UMS max boundary in each paper? Or is it just done on raw marks
Original post by oni176
I think roughly 46 on Breadth and 46-47 on Depth, both fairly the same marks. I don't like the practical application questions which appeared a lot in combination of both papers. I think the Depth paper was basically just having the skill to apply your answers to different situations with the lipase activity as an example. Some mathematical stuff also was horrible in my opinion.

I was annoyed that both two papers did not cover important topics such as; cardiac cycle, DNA replication, translation, transcription, initiation and coordination of heart beat, transpiration and potometer, immunity including the role of antibodies+specific, non-specific immune systems, evolution with natural selection and the evidence for evolution, maintaining biodiversity+sampling, triglycerides and phospholipids... and many more. Lots of stuff in the specification did not appear, not even 40% I believe. Like they give you these information but do not ask for it in the actual exam and ask questions on practicals.. Really?.. It's a bit ridiculous in my opinion.. But Biology has always been like that anyway :biggrin:

Yeah i totally agree with you, it is very annoying! But i think its not about the actual exam but actually learning about biology as a subject.
Learning the whole of DNA relication etc. and meiosis and everything else was a pain in the arse tho!
Original post by 11...
how well do you think you did???? :smile:

about 49 ,hbu
Original post by 11...
100/140 A
90/140 B
80/140 C

There was way more application this year so it depends what the mark scheme is like
And ocr made like 0 resources for biology whereas they made much better ones for chemistry
Original post by DisturbedCustard
Hi,

I would really appreciate it if anyone could pm me and send me the practise papers for biology and chemistry (not the specimen paper).

many many thanks

Exams have finished? Trying to cheat for ucas predicted grade?
what about 40/140 ?
Original post by oni176
What would 90-91/140 be? I hope it's a B :frown:

I'd say a high B. It was 66% for an A the last time a new spec was introduced so 92-93 for an A but I could see it being around 95 to be honest.

Did anyone find both papers MUCH easier than the practice papers? I did and was glad because I only got 37 on both papers on them but about 50 on these two!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by studentsixth
I'd say a high B. It was 66% for an A the last time a new spec was introduced so 92-93 for an A but I could see it being around 95 to be honest.

Did anyone find both papers MUCH easier than the practice papers? I did and was glad because I only got 37 on both papers on them but about 50 on these two!

yeah the exams were pretty easy
Original post by 0799NCB
Hey I do PM me your email address and Il send you them!

Hi! Please may you possibly send them to me too:smile:
Does anybody have the 2015 practice papers breadth and depth they could possibly send me?:smile:
Original post by Meg_hod
Does anybody have the 2015 practice papers breadth and depth they could possibly send me?:smile:

Why do you need them?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending