The Student Room Group

AQA CHEM4 and CHEM5 revision thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bloom77
Chemistry unit 5
January 2010
Question 3h
Is it okay yo say:
Electrolysis of water to obtain hydrogen uses fossil fuels so not carbon neutral

Posted from TSR Mobile

That seems ok to me and it sounds right.
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465248774.986281.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1465248802.687535.jpg

Can anyone explain why I got this wrong ? I don't understand ! It's a bit confusing - I got 2/4 but I clearly got the step wrong and I'm
Struggling to understand the mark scheme

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok sorry I managed to take a picture of the wrong stuff

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ahsan_ijaz
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465248774.986281.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1465248802.687535.jpg

Can anyone explain why I got this wrong ? I don't understand ! It's a bit confusing - I got 2/4 but I clearly got the step wrong and I'm
Struggling to understand the mark scheme

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you forgot to divide your excess moles of OH by the volume to get the concentration to use in your equation.
(edited 7 years ago)
Is Platinum the only transition metal that can a square planar shape or is it Nickel as well???
does anyone know why in the condensation reaction 2n-1 water is produced
Original post by Engineerrookie
Is Platinum the only transition metal that can a square planar shape or is it Nickel as well???

The shape of the molecule will depend on the molecule itself. I don't think there are any rules as to which elements can form certain shapes.
Original post by Superbubbles
does anyone know why in the condensation reaction 2n-1 water is produced

What do you mean?
Feel ready for CHEM4. But CHEM5 I've neglected lol.
Reply 89
Original post by High Stakes
Feel ready for CHEM4. But CHEM5 I've neglected lol.

Chem 4 can have awkward Q.s
Original post by Splashoid
The shape of the molecule will depend on the molecule itself. I don't think there are any rules as to which elements can form certain shapes.

Actually, while there are no rules, there is one other compound that you need to know in regards to square planar geometry: tetracyano nickelate (II). That is a nickel 2+ ion surrounded by four CN- ligands (hence the overall negative two charge).

So this and Cisplatin are the two you should know off the top of your head.

Good luck!

Alex
Can someone please explain this part of the golby notes,
I don't understand it tbh
Baby words please lol :smile:
Thank you!
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465499095.965408.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Engineerrookie
What do you mean?

dont worry i understand it now thanks anyways i was asking why 2n-1 water molecules are produced in polymerisation but this is because the end of the chain still has OH nd O hence the -1
why is kc only affected by temperature?
why is kc only affected by temperature?

Changing the temperature effects the rate at which the fowards reaction and the backwards reaction happen. So when the equilibrium shifts to oppose the change in temp, you are also changing the rate at which each reaction is happening thus changing the value of Kc to satisfy the new system.
Original post by SirRaza97
Changing the temperature effects the rate at which the fowards reaction and the backwards reaction happen. So when the equilibrium shifts to oppose the change in temp, you are also changing the rate at which each reaction is happening thus changing the value of Kc to satisfy the new system.

thank you but doesnt pressure and conc also affect the rate of the reaction yet kc does not change?
thank you but doesnt pressure and conc also affect the rate of the reaction yet kc does not change?

They do but the effect is equal for the fowards and backwards reaction. Changing the temp makes the fowards and backwards rate different.
Original post by SirRaza97
They do but the effect is equal for the fowards and backwards reaction. Changing the temp makes the fowards and backwards rate different.

thank you so much :smile:
Reply 98
Could anyone explain this buffer question?
how is everyone feeling for the exam?

Quick Reply

Latest