The Student Room Group

Don't do A levels.

So 2 years ago I made the choice to go through with A levels, My best friend chose the route of B-Tec level 3 extended diploma. Initially I laughed at him and thought he had made a stupid foolish decision.

By the end of the first year I was getting weighed down by the 7 days a week constant revision from maths, physics, business studies and that coursework from art. Meanwhile my friend was merrily on his way with his 3 days a week of relaxed work and practical outdoors filming.

And we arrive at the now. I have not been able to go out with friends on many occasions due to work. Nor have I had any significant free time to pursue my passion and hobbies. I have been locked away revising information that I will likely never need again just to get the grades for a university course of my choice.

My friend meanwhile has already finished for the year, during which he has pursued and integrated his course into his passion for BMX. He has had more free time in the last two weeks than I have had in the entire year.

And he just got his results back. Now at GCSE you must bear in mind he was a B/C student, I was slightly higher with pretty much straight B's. However he just got given D*D*D*, which is the equivalent of 420 ucas points or 3 A*'s at A level. Meanwhile after 7 days a week of far more difficult and challenging work constantly throughout the year, I have barely attained a prediction of BBB.

I don't see how it is fair that 3 days of much easier and far more enjoyable work a week. Can almost DOUBLE the amount of ucas points of far more stressful, much more difficult A levels.

Now obviously I am happy for my friend, I am currently contemplating my life and why I didn't choose the same option as him. But how... HOW is this fair?

I have done just over 2x the work of easily 5x the difficulty and I am getting HALF THE REWARD?.

Now obviously I cannot change the entire UK education system. But I warn anybody considering A levels to read up on this and consider how much pain you will go through for such little reward. Do BTEC's.

Scroll to see replies

peak
Reply 2
Slightly subjective to be honest I feel like some like myself prefer the exam format.
'BTEC equivalent of 3A*' ... are u mad
Reply 4
lmao uk education system is a joke and a lie

i say lets protest by over subscribing all the **** universities
I love the fact that A-Level friends used to laugh at me choosing the BTEC Level 3 route..
Now they're the ones working in MacDonald as there career (nothing wrong with that but they used to say I was ending up there)

Now I am studying at Universty

I love you BTEC:colondollar:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by hololand
So 2 years ago I made the choice to go through with A levels, My best friend chose the route of B-Tec level 3 extended diploma. Initially I laughed at him and thought he had made a stupid foolish decision.

By the end of the first year I was getting weighed down by the 7 days a week constant revision from maths, physics, business studies and that coursework from art. Meanwhile my friend was merrily on his way with his 3 days a week of relaxed work and practical outdoors filming.

And we arrive at the now. I have not been able to go out with friends on many occasions due to work. Nor have I had any significant free time to pursue my passion and hobbies. I have been locked away revising information that I will likely never need again just to get the grades for a university course of my choice.

My friend meanwhile has already finished for the year, during which he has pursued and integrated his course into his passion for BMX. He has had more free time in the last two weeks than I have had in the entire year.

And he just got his results back. Now at GCSE you must bear in mind he was a B/C student, I was slightly higher with pretty much straight B's. However he just got given D*D*D*, which is the equivalent of 420 ucas points or 3 A*'s at A level. Meanwhile after 7 days a week of far more difficult and challenging work constantly throughout the year, I have barely attained a prediction of BBB.

I don't see how it is fair that 3 days of much easier and far more enjoyable work a week. Can almost DOUBLE the amount of ucas points of far more stressful, much more difficult A levels.

Now obviously I am happy for my friend, I am currently contemplating my life and why I didn't choose the same option as him. But how... HOW is this fair?

I have done just over 2x the work of easily 5x the difficulty and I am getting HALF THE REWARD?.

Now obviously I cannot change the entire UK education system. But I warn anybody considering A levels to read up on this and consider how much pain you will go through for such little reward. Do BTEC's.

Some of us like to work non stop with academic subjects
Reply 7
Original post by M14B
Some of us like to work non stop with academic subjects

But regardless of whether you like it or not. Why should BTEC students get more reward for less work? hardly fair is it?.
Reply 8
But regardless of whether you like it or not. Why should BTEC students get more reward for less work? hardly fair is it?.

Not true in general for STEM subjects
Original post by urbanlocations
I love the fact that A-Level friends used to laugh at me choosing the BTEC Level 3 route..
Now there the ones working in MacDonald as there career (nothing wrong with that but they used to say I was ending up there)

*they're. Sorry, I had to.
Original post by LittleBoxes

IF YOU LOOK AT MY FIRST QUOTE 'they're' was implemented.

No I did not edit it. You misread.

What? You did edit it..look at the quote.
What? You did edit it..look at the quote.

sarcasm
noun

the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.

Reply 13

Did you ever consider that maybe, just maybe, the problem isn't the entire education system but it is rather yourself?

I know plenty of people, who need only put in 5 or so hours a week into A-Levels to get A*A*A. Since, apparently, anecdotal evidence is all that matters.

It was edited two minutes ago? :biggrin:
sarcasm
noun

the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.

Oh.
Now they're the ones working in MacDonald as their career (nothing wrong with that but they used to say I was ending up there)

You both missed the second one.
Reply 17
I couldn't agree more, so frustrating. Same goes for the 'easy' A levels ( not that I think there is such a thing) but people are taking subjects and getting A and B grades whilst people are taking the hard a levels and not getting as good a grade but the thing is they are really hard.
Bit late for me now lol. :tongue:
Universities aren't stupid, if you want to study say Physics at Cambridge they aren't gonna accept BTEC film studies even if it is a D*.

Quick Reply

Latest