Scroll to see replies

Original post by TercioOfParma
I would go :

Introduction
1558 - 1572
1572 - 1585
1585 - 1603
Conclusion

Then talk about france primarily and contrast it against other countries.

Original post by cookieCC
I've been trying to plan an essay for this too and am struggling slightly. I've decided to structure it by different factors (factors could be countries), and in each paragraph express how Elizabeth's actions around that factor helped her achieve her foreign policy aims: to keep the costs down, to defend England and English independence, avoid war for as long as possible, and to maintain a balance of power in Europe. Some factors which did help Elizabeth achieve her foreign policy aims would be relations with France as it states in the question, involvement in the Netherlands, and involvement in new world/trade etc. For example after talking about France in depth and how the Treaty of Blois in 1572 helped maintain a balance of power in Europe by forming an anti-Spanish defence, you could mention in a paragraph about trade how Elizabeth's sponsorship of privateers in the new world allowed her to gain more money and therefore helped to ease the costs of war. The new trade routes in places such as Muscovy and Morroco also showed Philip II that she wasn't solely reliant on trade with Antwerp under Spanish control, as by 1582 all English trade to Antwerp had seized, which also shows English independence. Just some ideas!

Thank you very much!!!!
Please can someone give a quick overview of French foreign policy? What would the factors be in an essay?
Original post by Tweetypie97
Please can someone give a quick overview of French foreign policy? What would the factors be in an essay?

Good

Capture of Le Havre 1562 - support for Huguenots, stay for backup against Catholics

Francis II death - ends Franco-Scottish alliance (MQoS' hubby)

Humphrey Gilbert 1572 holds Flushing in the N.lands and prevents French control

Treaty of Blois 1572 - alliance against Spain and MQoS

1576 Pacification of Ghent - Offers Dutch support in event of invasion - discounts French power

1589 - Henry of Navarre (Protestant) becomes king of France. Liz sends 3.6k troops against Catholic League/Guise faction. Success in Brittany 1590. Becomes godmother to Charles IX.

"an attempt to reconcile conflicting strategic, religious and commercial interests at minimal cost." - Guy

Bad

Cateau-Cambresis 1559 upsets power balance - England no longer independent

Henry II dies

Treaty of Troyes 1564 - permanent loss of Calais

Massacre of St Bartholomew 1572 - danger to strategic interests

Failure of French marriage negs* with Anjou and Alencon - John Stubbs pamphlet 1579 - right hand cut off prison 18 mths

1578 Guise Esme Stuart has influence over James VI plans to invade England but caught by Walsingham

1583 French Fury - Anjou fails to conquer Antwerp by surprise

1584 Treaty of Joinville - Philip II and Catholic League alliance

1593 - Henry of Navarre converts to Catholicism

1594 - Failure to capture Brest with 4k troops

Hostility of Catholic League+Phil = decline in Henry III's power meaning he couldn't help England

Anjou's negs* were "breathless wooing" (MacCaffrey)

*negs=negotiations :smile:

Edward VI (47'-53') - Possible threat from F as relations deteriorated
- March 1550: Treaty of Boulogne handed back Boulogne back to France, ended wars with F & Scot under Northumberland - Saw F Repayment of £133,333

Mary I (53'-58') - Dragged into conflict with Spain, through marriage with Phillip
- Declared war on F in June 1557
- Lost Pale of Calais after surprise French attack..

Liz (58'-71') - Inherited bad situation from Mary after loss of Calais
- England & F reached agreement in treaty of Câteau Cambresis April 59'
-France retook Calais for 8 years to then return, if not pay 800,000 crowns to Eng
-Mary of Guise threat after coming to Eng in 68' (or 69' always get that mixed up)
- Marriage negiotations with Anjou

Liz (71'-88') - 72' Treaty of Blois signalled improvement in Anglo-French relations - temp weakened by St Bartholonew Day Massacre
- French intervention in Nethers in 1577?
- Mary Q of S execution (1587)

Liz (89'-1603) - Henry IV supporting him with 3600 troops
- But became un-needed after he beat Catholic League by converting to Catholicism
- Henry again asking for financial assistance and military - fears of Duke of Parma invasion (1590)
- Soured relations

Sorry its brief and I may have missed out some stuff! Hope it helps (and hope I remember all of this tomorrow morning if it comes up!)
Original post by katinthehat
Good

Capture of Le Havre 1562 - support for Huguenots, stay for backup against Catholics

Francis II death - ends Franco-Scottish alliance (MQoS' hubby)

Humphrey Gilbert 1572 holds Flushing in the N.lands and prevents French control

Treaty of Blois 1572 - alliance against Spain and MQoS

1576 Pacification of Ghent - Offers Dutch support in event of invasion - discounts French power

1589 - Henry of Navarre (Protestant) becomes king of France. Liz sends 3.6k troops against Catholic League/Guise faction. Success in Brittany 1590. Becomes godmother to Charles IX.

"an attempt to reconcile conflicting strategic, religious and commercial interests at minimal cost." - Guy

Bad

Cateau-Cambresis 1559 upsets power balance - England no longer independent

Henry II dies

Treaty of Troyes 1564 - permanent loss of Calais

Massacre of St Bartholomew 1572 - danger to strategic interests

Failure of French marriage negs* with Anjou and Alencon - John Stubbs pamphlet 1579 - right hand cut off prison 18 mths

1578 Guise Esme Stuart has influence over James VI plans to invade England but caught by Walsingham

1583 French Fury - Anjou fails to conquer Antwerp by surprise

1584 Treaty of Joinville - Philip II and Catholic League alliance

1593 - Henry of Navarre converts to Catholicism

1594 - Failure to capture Brest with 4k troops

Hostility of Catholic League+Phil = decline in Henry III's power meaning he couldn't help England

Anjou's negs* were "breathless wooing" (MacCaffrey)

*negs=negotiations :smile:

Thank you very much, very helpful!!! Do you have any clue how they might word French fp questions???
Original post by lukearos
Edward VI (47'-53':wink: - Possible threat from F as relations deteriorated
- March 1550: Treaty of Boulogne handed back Boulogne back to France, ended wars with F & Scot under Northumberland - Saw F Repayment of £133,333

Mary I (53'-58':wink: - Dragged into conflict with Spain, through marriage with Phillip
- Declared war on F in June 1557
- Lost Pale of Calais after surprise French attack..

Liz (58'-71':wink: - Inherited bad situation from Mary after loss of Calais
- England & F reached agreement in treaty of Câteau Cambresis April 59'
-France retook Calais for 8 years to then return, if not pay 800,000 crowns to Eng
-Mary of Guise threat after coming to Eng in 68' (or 69' always get that mixed up)
- Marriage negiotations with Anjou

Liz (71'-88':wink: - 72' Treaty of Blois signalled improvement in Anglo-French relations - temp weakened by St Bartholonew Day Massacre
- French intervention in Nethers in 1577?
- Mary Q of S execution (1587)

Liz (89'-1603) - Henry IV supporting him with 3600 troops
- But became un-needed after he beat Catholic League by converting to Catholicism
- Henry again asking for financial assistance and military - fears of Duke of Parma invasion (1590)
- Soured relations

Sorry its brief and I may have missed out some stuff! Hope it helps (and hope I remember all of this tomorrow morning if it comes up!)

Thank you soooo much, helps a lot😊 Any clue how they might word French fp questions???

I think it is important to remember, in addition to what the other two have stated, that the Catholic League and France as a whole should be treated as two distinct entities. In addition, the death of Mary QOS was not as significant as you would think, because in spite of being related to the Guise family, she was persona non grata in France due to her husband (the king of france) dying as well as all her other husbands dying, which made the french extremely suspicious.
Good luck everyone!! ☺️☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emmappleby22
Good luck everyone!! ☺️☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

Best of luck to you all! We can do this!! :smile: xxxx
Just about to leave for school (live about 5 minutes away but better earlier than never) GOOD LUCK EVERYONE for the 45 minutes that remain left before we all go for our goal!! Thanks for everyone's contributions to this forum feed, I have found it very helpful indeed! Remember (saying this to myself too) Don't panic at any point, if you forget something that's okay, just do the best you can and be happy with that!

Regards,

Luke
good luck :smile:
Well.
That went disgustingly poorly.

So much wasted work on foreign policy and Puritanism.

Hello darkness my old friend...
I don't think that went too badly honestly. Q1 was a good question, and I chose 2 since 3 seemed difficult. Finished with 10 minutes to spare and corrected a few errors.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Q 3 went horribly wrong for me :s-smilie: I didn't mention Crown finance, would that pull down my mark?
For question 3 I did the riots and all that then the poor law then the economic reasons with Spain and Ireland then I done social disorder in terms of factions of the council and Essex rebellion and then opposition in parliament.

Is that okay???

Posted from TSR Mobile
I thought it was great. Q1 was worded weirdly in comparison to what my notes were on, and Q2 was perfect - EXCEPT I ran out of steam for the later period? Only discussed Archpriest and the fact that Haigh said it was a religion of households...

Hopefully (and I think I did) I made it work for the question. Lots of historiography, lots of synopticity. Feeling confident and I hope everyone does well!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow, that went quite well, no regrets over my choice of ignoring foreign policy revision.
I answered question 1 and 2, argument for 1 was that the royal authority was always maintained even if it showed signs of weakness at times, but when the monarch died, their royal authority completely diminished as they could no longer maintain it (Henry wanting council to rule but somerset does instead and Edwards devise signed while alive but ignored after LJG ruling for 9 days after his death).
Question 2 argument was that government action and external factors played a greater role than weak leadership.

Generally happy with my arguments/counter-arguments but my structure was quite poor, just hope the examiner can make sense of it!
It went badly for me: Spent too long on Q1 and then didn't finish my conclusion of Q3 ..... BUT its over now, can't complain or worry or be in despair: was a nice paper and I just misjudged my timing. As long as I get a C or above it all I need. Hope results day is well for you all :biggrin:
Original post by lukearos
It went badly for me: Spent too long on Q1 and then didn't finish my conclusion of Q3 ..... BUT its over now, can't complain or worry or be in despair: was a nice paper and I just misjudged my timing. As long as I get a C or above it all I need. Hope results day is well for you all :biggrin:

What arguments did you write for Q 3

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply