The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Chemistry Exams -6CH04 (14th June) and 6CH05 (22nd June) Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 400
Original post by Don Pedro K.
Ohhhh okay so like a ligand substitution reaction occurs?

No No No. Nothing with hydroxide ions is ever ligand sub
Original post by samb1234
No No No. Nothing with hydroxide ions is ever ligand sub

Oh yeah whoops lol. Deprotonation.
Reply 402
Oh yeah whoops lol. Deprotonation.

Yeah just be careful with the wording when it comes to the exam

uh huh ^_^ :smile:

How are you feeling for unit 4? I'm getting around the high 70s atm.
Reply 405
Original post by Ayman!
How are you feeling for unit 4? I'm getting around the high 70s atm.

pretty decent. In my mock ages ago got like 115, did like 2 papers a few weeks ago once i finished unit 4 notes and got around the same. Did the 2015 IAL one today and got 79/90 which somehow was full, but tbh there were areas where my knowledge was a bit patchy so I'll have to iron that out by next tuesday (i made some parts of my unit 4 notes like a month ago so forgotten some details). Sounds like you're pretty set if you're getting high 70s
Does anyone have the list for all the ligand colours we are meant to know

Posted from TSR Mobile
What would copper(I) iodide and sulfuric acid make

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Supermanxxxxxx
What would copper(I) iodide and sulfuric acid make

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pure copper and [Cu(H2O)]2+ complexes I think?
pretty decent. In my mock ages ago got like 115, did like 2 papers a few weeks ago once i finished unit 4 notes and got around the same. Did the 2015 IAL one today and got 79/90 which somehow was full, but tbh there were areas where my knowledge was a bit patchy so I'll have to iron that out by next tuesday (i made some parts of my unit 4 notes like a month ago so forgotten some details). Sounds like you're pretty set if you're getting high 70s

Just have a few past papers to go but I feel like I need a lot more practice with NMR and spectrometric analysis because it's not always easy to see what's going on under exam conditions. Got any resources?
I was doing June 14 unit 4 and soon realised it was pretty much exactly the same as June 14 (R)...lol gonna do Jan 15 (IAL) instead XD
Original post by Ayman!
Just have a few past papers to go but I feel like I need a lot more practice with NMR and spectrometric analysis because it's not always easy to see what's going on under exam conditions. Got any resources?

There's loads on physics and maths tutor

Posted from TSR Mobile
@samb1234 @Ayman! Can anyone tell me which part of this molecule gives rise to permanent dipole forces? Is it the C=C double bond?

where.JPG
@samb1234 @Ayman! Can anyone tell me which part of this molecule gives rise to permanent dipole forces? Is it the C=C double bond?

where.JPG

The C=O in the carboxyl groupl i reckon . C=C is non polar bond and non polar bonds cant give rise to permanent dipole forces .
Original post by Supermanxxxxxx
There's loads on physics and maths tutor

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers! Will have a look.

where.JPG

It can't be the C=C bond as it's non-polar and there is literally 0 difference in electronegativity. C=O and O-H are the only polar bonds here, so it's probably the C=O bond that's creating a permanent dipole. I imagine that the strongest intermolecular force of attraction would be due to hydrogen bonds.
Original post by Ayman!
Cheers! Will have a look.

It can't be the C=C bond as it's non-polar and there is literally 0 difference in electronegativity. C=O and O-H are the only polar bonds here, so it's probably the C=O bond that's creating a permanent dipole. I imagine that the strongest intermolecular force of attraction would be due to hydrogen bonds.

Ah yes I didn't look at the COOH group as two separate bonds xD You're right haha :smile:
Original post by RUNSran
The C=O in the carboxyl groupl i reckon . C=C is non polar bond and non polar bonds cant give rise to permanent dipole forces .

Yeah thanks :biggrin:!

where.JPG

C=C double bond has no electronegativity though .Surely it would be the C=O I think ?
By the way,why do all our exam boards write COOH instead of CO2H ?Surely saying COOH indicates there is a O-O single bond ?
Original post by Kadak
C=C double bond has no electronegativity though .Surely it would be the C=O I think ?
By the way,why do all our exam boards write COOH instead of CO2H ?Surely saying COOH indicates there is a O-O single bond ?

It is the C=O yeah. I don't know really I don't think it matters too greatly lol
Reply 419
Original post by Ayman!

Yeah i hate the find the equivalent carbon type questions, always been bad at visualising shapes lol. There are tonnes of questions on PAMT as someone mentioned which I believe are from the old spec so maybe try them

Quick Reply

Latest