The Student Room Group

Can't believe I'm supposed to pay for my parents shopping.

Out of my own student finance too.

Of course there's nothing edible at home, unless you count the food that's a week or two off...

My dad just tells me to buy food for the family, which I do, but this is almost every single day to feed a family of 6!

At this rate I won't have any money left.

How is this fair?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous

Of course there's nothing edible at home, unless you count the food that's a week or two off...

My dad just tells me to buy food for the family, which I do, but this is almost every single day to feed a family of 6!

How is this fair?

It is a bit harsh but if you are living under their roof then I am afraid it is their rules.
Reply 2
Original post by Rock Fan
It is a bit harsh but if you are living under their roof then I am afraid it is their rules.

What have their rules got to do with my money?

They're still responsible of me.
They looked after you and raised you and now when your parents ask you to do the same you say it's not fair. Maybe tell us why they're doing this? Are they experiencing money problems or are they just taking advantage of you because you have money?
What have their rules got to do with my money?

They're still responsible of me.

You live in their house, if you don't like it then move out.
I d think moving out is the only way to solve this situation really, maybe your parents feel entitled to your loan as it's based off of their income and by you living there they lose (or get reduced) entitlement to certain benefits.
Does the food cost more than £250-400 a month which you would pay in rent (minimum)?

If no, stop complaining, you're getting off easy.
If yes, move out, it's cheaper.
She may be living under her parents' roof but the parents still have responsibility for themselves and the others in the house who aren't the OP. It's understandable for you to buy your own food, but to make you pay for the entire family is ridiculous.
Are your parents in trouble financially? Do you live at home for uni? If the answer to these is yes then its fair imo. I live at home in the holidays and am asked to pay bills/buy food when needed-just a part and parcel of living at home
I think it's harsh for parents to ask their child to pay for anyone other than themselves whilst they are still in full-time education and don't have a proper/skilled job.
Original post by Tsrsarahhhh
They looked after you and raised you and now when your parents ask you to do the same you say it's not fair. Maybe tell us why they're doing this? Are they experiencing money problems or are they just taking advantage of you because you have money?

Both my parents are loaded.

I'm fine with buying my own food and sorting my own life out, I can't possibly be expected to pay for all of them on my budget...
Original post by Rock Fan
You live in their house, if you don't like it then move out.

I spend a fraction of time here. I study full time in another city.
Original post by CTLevers
She may be living under her parents' roof but the parents still have responsibility for themselves and the others in the house who aren't the OP. It's understandable for you to buy your own food, but to make you pay for the entire family is ridiculous.

I'm fine paying for myself, because I do that when I'm at University in another city.

It's a family of 6 and we all eat a lot and quickly.
Original post by Poooky
Are your parents in trouble financially? Do you live at home for uni? If the answer to these is yes then its fair imo. I live at home in the holidays and am asked to pay bills/buy food when needed-just a part and parcel of living at home

I live away from home and my parents are loaded. My mum for one makes £300,000 a year..
I live away from home and my parents are loaded. My mum for one makes £300,000 a year..

In that case you're parents are just being really *****y but they may be doing it to teach you the value of money?
Can't think of any other reason why- what happens if you dont buy the food?
The people saying "But your parents spent money on you growing up..." yes, they did - but they chose to have a child. Kids don't owe their parents money for their parents raising them. Their parents made an active decision to pay for a child; they decided to factor in the cost of an expensive child.

You can't then turn around and expect the child that you chose to bring into the world pay for your **** once you get older. That's not how it works.
OP - tell your family to piss off and pay for their own stuff.

That's an incredibly large amount of money :zomg: the prime minister doesn't even make half that amount.

How is this fair?

Given everything you've posted in this thread, I think that is very unfair.

I'd be inclined to decline paying for that or just not really visit home until it is sorted out.
Original post by PrincessBO$$

Read, Remeber, Never Fuc*ing complain

You do realise it'll be and my siblings looking after to them when they're old, right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending