The Student Room Group

Modern feminism is a joke

There are so many things wrong with it. I'm completely for men-women equality but surely anyone with half a brain can see that third wave feminism is no longer about equality

-The pay gap is a myth
-We always hear about how there aren't enough women in science/business but never that there aren't enough women in mining/construction (or any lower class job)
-Women have the same rights as men
-Girls do better in school
-More girls are going to university than boys at present
-The justice system hugely favours women

As a side note, I also believe that dress codes in office/professional environments heavily advantage women and give them so much more freedom than men.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm not going to question your other points, coz I just don't know, I don't have any proof in favour or against your points.
However, the pay gap is not a myth, now I've heard it from some friends about they're parents and whatever and I didn't even realise there was a pay gap until I found out that my sister was getting paid less money than her husband who has the exact same job and they've been in that career for the same amount of time, it is absolutely ridiculous as men and women should have equal pay for the same job.
Reply 2
Original post by mikeymk
I'm not going to question your other points, coz I just don't know, I don't have any proof in favour or against your points.
However, the pay gap is not a myth, now I've heard it from some friends about they're parents and whatever and I didn't even realise there was a pay gap until I found out that my sister was getting paid less money than her husband who has the exact same job and they've been in that career for the same amount of time, it is absolutely ridiculous as men and women should have equal pay for the same job.

There is no way that any reputable firm would be allowed to pay one person less than another for doing the same job and who has the same experience

Unless there were disparities in overs/net hours being worked

Posted from TSR Mobile
And your question is:dontknow:
Reply 4
Original post by fatima1998
And your question is:dontknow:

Do you agree? That's my question

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Don Joiner
There is no way that any reputable firm would be allowed to pay one person less than another for doing the same job and who has the same experience

Unless there were disparities in overs/net hours being worked

Posted from TSR Mobile

Following link is to a government research paper into the matter.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/477360/UKCES_Gender_Effects.pdf
Reply 6
To be honest, you're right, but this has been done in the thread 'Feminism is useless in the first world'. Not one feminist could really provide any decent argument and in the end it went quiet.
Original post by mikeymk

Does your sister have children?
Reply 8
Original post by an_atheist
Does your sister have children?

Yeah, why do you ask?
Original post by mikeymk

Is your sister performing as well as him? Has you sister taken any breaks (e.g - having kids)? Is your sister as outgoing/confident as him? Do they work at the same company, in the same branch?
If you want the wage gap debunking effectively look up Christina hoth sommers. But basically the gap exists if you take the average of each gender. It doesn't take into account qualifications, hours worked, experience, positions in department ect. With this and you took it down to hour earnings there is no gap. Even if you want to be picky between the ages of 25-29 women have a minor advantage by 1-2p. Christina explains better though.
Overall feminism is an irrelevant concept that isn't needed in modern society. Recently I feel it's flipped and started to roles reversal on men as seen by the fact women are 2-1 more likely to get hired in stem, women get better grades ect. Feminism is designed to demonize men still and blame men for every slight natural inequality biased to men, yet no coverage of biases to women. It's turned into a nit picky pedantic cause that has ignored real issues in other parts of the world like the Middle East where a form of 1st and 2nd wave feminism is needed.
Reply 11
Original post by Zargabaath
Is your sister performing as well as him? Has you sister taken any breaks (e.g - having kids)? Is your sister as outgoing/confident as him? Do they work at the same company, in the same branch?

Maternity leave but that was over a year ago so wouldn't have affected the last taxable year, and she is way more out going than him, tbh I honestly think she works harder, which I know will be seen as biased and as I'm not in the work place, I can not see it for myself, so can not judge, but he always gets out of work early, like up to an hour sometimes, my sister is always they're until the end of her shift, sometimes longer. As for the company/ branch, exactly the same.
Original post by mikeymk
Maternity leave but that was over a year ago so wouldn't have affected the last taxable year, and she is way more out going than him, tbh I honestly think she works harder, which I know will be seen as biased and as I'm not in the work place, I can not see it for myself, so can not judge, but he always gets out of work early, like up to an hour sometimes, my sister is always they're until the end of her shift, sometimes longer. As for the company/ branch, exactly the same.

Depending on the work, being out of "the game" for a year can seriously devalue you.

That said, if what you say is true, tell her to take them to court. They're breaking UK law by doing this. According to the Equality Act 2010, men and women are given the right to equal pay for equal work. They're also breaking EU law.

http://www.equalpayportal.co.uk/the-law/
Reply 13
Original post by Zargabaath
Depending on the work, being out of "the game" for a year can seriously devalue you.

That said, if what you say is true, tell her to take them to court. They're breaking UK law by doing this. According to the Equality Act 2010, men and women are given the right to equal pay for equal work. They're also breaking EU law.

http://www.equalpayportal.co.uk/the-law/

I can't see her being devalued as she is quite a respected colleges by her superiors, she always gets praised.
I'll talk to her about this though, thanks for the link, tbh, when its comes to the government and stuff, I don't know what I'm talking about, science is more my thing, but I'm only going off of what I've been told.
Original post by mikeymk
I can't see her being devalued as she is quite a respected colleges by her superiors, she always gets praised.
I'll talk to her about this though, thanks for the link, tbh, when its comes to politics I don't know what I'm talking about, science is more my thing, but I'm only going off of what I've been told.

Not devalued in terms of colleges and superiors, I mean in certain roles up to date contacts and stuff like that are vital. They're part of what makes you employable and why the business wants you.

Tell her to look into it at least, what you've described is illegal. Perhaps look it over with a solicitor, I think they'll tell her if she has a case or not.
Reply 15
Onision made a vid about this recently and I found it quite interesting

Original post by z33
Onision made a vid about this recently and I found it quite interesting

Why can't SJWs get their point across without throwing tantrums and swearing like a kid with tourettes :lol:

Spoiler

Original post by mikeymk

Do they work the same hours? If they do, they should report it. Why wouldn't they?
Original post by Don Joiner
There are so many things wrong with it. I'm completely for men-women equality but surely anyone with half a brain can see that third wave feminism is no longer about equality

-The pay gap is a myth
-We always hear about how there aren't enough women in science/business but never that there aren't enough women in mining/construction (or any lower class job)
-Women have the same rights as men
-Girls do better in school
-More girls are going to university than boys at present
-The justice system hugely favours women

As a side note, I also believe that dress codes in office/professional environments heavily advantage women and give them so much more freedom than men.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How can you say the justice system hugely favours women, when in the Supreme Court, there is only ONE WOMAN standing- do you call this representative and favourable for women in today's society???

Where is your evidence showing people do not complain about women not working in construction? Just because you haven't heard it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Also, with regards to mining, perhaps it's because the job opportunities in mining are in decline now, since the UK is far from a flourishing primary sector, and nowadays linked with tertiary/quaternary style jobs you mentioned (science/business).

ALSO NOTE THAT FEMINISM IS THE ADVOCACY OF WOMENS RIGHTS ON THE GROUND OF THE EQUALITY OF THE SEXES- it is needed in modern society, because there are a lot of different inequalities for both women and men. It is a common misconception that feminism is merely based around individuals wanting the rights of women to be greater than men's, as well as it being a movement focused on "man-hating," which it certainly isn't- unless you look at radical tumblr feminists lol.
Reply 19
Congratulations, you have now entered the SJW/Feminists black list who by now probably have your IP and have dispatched a brigade of disgruntled females to your area to pelt you with ready salted crisps and wet tampons

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending