The Student Room Group

AQA AS Physics Unit 2 (PHYA2) June 9th 2016 Resit paper

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CourtlyCanter
I think I did it like this-Friction force= 1.8W= Fs1.8 x 0.2 = 0.36J2.2 (Initial energy of block when it leaves the spring) + 0.36 = 2.56 JThe follow-up question about the force thing, I just used W = Fs again. Since the energy needed to push the block away was the same as that needed to compress the spring, the energy needed to compress the spring must've been 2.56j.So...2.56 = F x 0.2F = 12.8 NAnyone else got the same answer?

P.S. The amount of silly mistakes that I have made is absolutely unreal. Like dividing by 100 rather than 1000, ticked red when I meant to tick violet, said 'so easier for angles to be smaller than critical angle when I was thinking 'larger'. Oh my world.

dude you just reminded me about the diamond question...i also said smaller angle so less tir!!!

still mad about this.....thats what happens when you do the last 2 questions in 5 minutes i guess....i swear our clocks went fast
Original post by philo-jitsu
Yeah for the same i put magnitude of forces, and for diffferent i put direction/vectors were different

The object wasn't in equilibrium, so it didn't subject to newtons 3rd law.
Please get a cheeky pic of every page.

If not pictures, I'll make a note of numbers and stuff and recreate the questions. Just to put with the markscheme

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
I think I did it like this-
Friction force= 1.8W= Fs1.8 x 0.2 = 0.36J2.2 (Initial energy of block when it leaves the spring) + 0.36 = 2.56 J

The follow-up question about the force thing, I just used W = Fs again. Since the energy needed to push the block away was the same as that needed to compress the spring, the energy needed to compress the spring must've been 2.56j.So...2.56 = F x 0.2F = 12.8 N

Anyone else got the same answer?

P.S. The amount of silly mistakes that I have made is absolutely unreal. Like dividing by 100 rather than 1000, ticked red when I meant to tick violet, said 'so easier for angles to be smaller than critical angle when I was thinking 'larger'. Oh my world.

Both of those seem to be correct. Can't believe it... There goes some more marks
Original post by CALI1198
If not pictures, I'll make a note of numbers and stuff and recreate the questions. Just to put with the markscheme

Remember the mark allocations!
Original post by txnilxnur
can someone go through the waves questions... i know everyone is saying it was easy but i can't remember what it was.
all i remember:

- define a progressive wave - a wave that travels through a medium?
- tick 2 boxes about a sound wave - that they can interfere and are longitudinal ?
- something about the amplitude and what effect increasing the frequency would do?
- can't remember what else there was?

anyone?

longitudinal is one that travels through a medium not sure if its a relevant point? i thought the point of the question was to make the distinction between progressive and standing waves? I put waves that "move" in a direction and that transfer energy (since standing waves do not) ??

same ticks as you

No idea on this one rly. Increase f meant lower wavelength so less diffraction so points A and B were closer together?
Original post by WillRose
longitudinal is one that travels through a medium not sure if its a relevant point? i thought the point of the question was to make the distinction between progressive and standing waves? I put waves that "move" in a direction and that transfer energy (since standing waves do not) ??

same ticks as you

No idea on this one rly. Increase f meant lower wavelength so less diffraction so points A and B were closer together?

The points were fixed, you would just observe more peaks on the graph

Good job i didnt take english lit
Original post by WillRose
Good job i didnt take english lit

Haha, even the resultant force one I didn't read first. AQA are super sneaky

For the acceleration of the shuttle from the space station dont you have to take into account gravity as its on its way back so the m*g + the initial thrust = MA?
does anyone remember how many marks was the whole question 8 worth? plz
Original post by dont leave blank
does anyone remember how many marks was the whole question 8 worth? plz

11 i think because i remember trying to work out how many marks i had to get in the 25 minutes i had left when i started question 7 :')
Reply 652

Wouldn't you say that the points would be further apart , sort of like fringe spacing as a change in frequency would change the wavelength.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mo2351
Wouldn't you say that the points would be further apart , sort of like fringe spacing as a change in frequency would change the wavelength.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If frequency is increased, wavelength is decreased (wave equation). You had to comment on how the graph you were shown would change.

So you'd say, the new wave would have a shorter wavelength hence you would see more peaks being measurer between point A and B (it was a loudspeaker and a microphone)

Original post by Gapyearstudent54
The object wasn't in equilibrium, so it didn't subject to newtons 3rd law.

Surely if they're in equilibrium or not is irrelevant? A book on table isn't experiencing Newton's third law forces but the forces have to be in equilibrium for the book not to go through the table
Original post by Ben-Jam-In
Surely if they're in equilibrium or not is irrelevant? A book on table isn't experiencing Newton's third law forces but the forces have to be in equilibrium for the book not to go through the table

The book would be obeying Newton's third law of motion as the law states that when object A (book) exerts a force (its weight) on object B(Table), object B would exert an equal and opposite force (reaction force) on object A. In this case, the system is in equilibrium.
(edited 7 years ago)
Paper is sitting in front of me

Questions?
Original post by MiniMan64

Questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mark allocations? All questions if possible...
The book would be obeying Newton's third law of motion as the law states that when object A (book) exerts a force (its weight) on object B(Table), object B would exert an equal and opposite force (reaction force) on object A. In this case, the system is in equilibrium.

this is a quote from the revision guide referring to a book on a table "this looks like newtons third law but it is not. Because both forces are acting on the book, and they're not of the same type. This is two separate interactions. The forces are equal and opposite, resulting in zero acceleration, so this is showing newton's 1st law" In other words it was not obeying newtons third law
Original post by MiniMan64

Questions?

pics if u can

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending