The Student Room Group

Do uni's round up degree class percentages?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I got 59.3% would the uni round this up to 60 even though i was ill while doing the exams and have doctor letters for it.
Reply 41
i got 55.20, would they round to 2:1 as it is more than 55(which is halfway between 50 and 60)?
Reply 42
Original post by mts396
i got 55.20, would they round to 2:1 as it is more than 55(which is halfway between 50 and 60)?

No.
Original post by mts396

No way would universities round up by that much. If a university rounds percentages up, then it needs to be 55.5% (for example) which would get rounded to 56%.
Reply 44
What about 59.3%, would they round this up to 60 or 2:1?
Original post by Ak15

Nope, only .5% would get rounded up.
Original post by Ak15

Yeah I also think it needs to be at the .5 mark or over before rounding up!
I was sitting on 69.9 and tbh my uni spent time considering if I would be rounded up to a 1st but after considering all the work I had submitted and with the majority of it being in the 70s it was rounded up! It is hard but I suppose they do need a cut off point.

Posted from TSR Mobile
did they round it up?
Original post by Ak15

hey AK15, just wanted to know if they ended up rounding it up for you
Original post by mariasiento1
hey AK15, just wanted to know if they ended up rounding it up for you

Unless you go to the same uni, what does it matter? What one uni does doesn't mean that another uni will do the same.
Reply 50
I had one friend at roughly 58% and another at 59%. Same university, different degree courses (same department though!). They were both rounded up to a 2:1. I don't know how specifically, I guess it was based on individual marks they earned from assignments. The 59% makes sense, as the university handbook states all percentages at X9% will be considered for the higher class.

I came out with 67.66% in mine, wasn't rounded up (same uni, same department).
(edited 7 years ago)
The minimum average for a 2.1 at my uni is 59 and I've got 58.86, does that mean I failed in getting a 2.1 or is it usually rounded up to the nearest whole number?
Reply 52
Original post by Duncaaaaaan
The minimum average for a 2.1 at my uni is 59 and I've got 58.86, does that mean I failed in getting a 2.1 or is it usually rounded up to the nearest whole number?

See if you can get hold of the assessment regulations handbook for progression and awards (it was named something along these lines at my university). This was all covered in there, for me and was where I got the information regarding X9% and how it would be considered for the next degree class. E.g. 59% could be bumped up to 2.1, 69 to a first etc. It'll be entirely different from uni to uni.

Could also contact your course leader (which is actually how I got hold of the document at the time), see if they can point you in the right direction, if you can't find the right information.
(edited 7 years ago)
My tutor explained to me how it works. It does get rounded up. But this is only applicable to my department.

It's a fairly complicated procedure and it's not as simple as getting 59.5%, there are other variables that come into play.
Original post by Peddeh
See if you can get hold of the assessment regulations handbook for progression and awards (it was named something along these lines at my university). This was all covered in there, for me and was where I got the information regarding X9% and how it would be considered for the next degree class. E.g. 59% could be bumped up to 2.1, 69 to a first etc. It'll be entirely different from uni to uni.

Could also contact your course leader (which is actually how I got hold of the document at the time), see if they can point you in the right direction, if you can't find the right information.

Yeah theres no information about rounding up but looking at how a 2.2 requires 49.5 it is probably a no.
Reply 55
I have heard about this before, I think it depends on the uni, but I think my uni goes by if you were really close, so lets say in the case of your results, lets say had been getting 62% all year and then on one exam got like 40 %, this is seen as an anomaly and so they will then give you a 2:1 as you were so close and they acknowledged you just had a bad exam for whatever reason. So it's not rounding up exactly but the same result, your uni may do that, coz being 0.7 % off is really unfortunate.

I still don't want to chance this, so gonna aim for the best, my social life in third year is going to be non-existent :cry:
Reply 56
Original post by Duncaaaaaan
Yeah theres no information about rounding up but looking at how a 2.2 requires 49.5 it is probably a no.

Unfortunate! :frown:. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you - you never know!
Best to have a look or even ask how your uni does it.

My uni, for example, if you only average 67% or something but get 70%+ in all of your third year modules, you get a 1st. Tiny things like that.
Reply 58
Original post by mts396

'but I was only 46 marks off an A*...'
Original post by Peddeh
Unfortunate! :frown:. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you - you never know!

It was university of leeds and department of music so not an insane course like law or medicine but again no idea if they are lenient in the less intensive courses like music.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending