The Student Room Group

Graduating in non-law with a 2.2 and getting a commendation in GDL

I'm probably going to graduate with a 2.2 (there is maybe a chance I will get a 2.1, as I am within the discretionary boundary, being literally 0.1 mark off a 2.1).

Basically, I bombed hard in 2nd year, and worked hard in final year, but it still wasn't enough.

But if I work really damn hard for the GDL like I did this year and get a good grade (commendation or above) will it help or do firms/chambers really only care about the undergrad?

I want to be a barrister but with a 2.2 it might be impossible, unless a high GDL grade and 'very competent' on the BPTC can make up for it?

Anybody here with a 2.2 manage to get a job in the legal sector? I imagine it wasn't exactly hunky dory for you.

I'm so sad I can't believe how ****in close I am to a 2.1 it's unbelievable.
Original post by Duncaaaaaan
I'm probably going to graduate with a 2.2 (there is maybe a chance I will get a 2.1, as I am within the discretionary boundary, being literally 0.1 mark off a 2.1).

Basically, I bombed hard in 2nd year, and worked hard in final year, but it still wasn't enough.

But if I work really damn hard for the GDL like I did this year and get a good grade (commendation or above) will it help or do firms/chambers really only care about the undergrad?

I want to be a barrister but with a 2.2 it might be impossible, unless a high GDL grade and 'very competent' on the BPTC can make up for it?

Anybody here with a 2.2 manage to get a job in the legal sector? I imagine it wasn't exactly hunky dory for you.

I'm so sad I can't believe how ****in close I am to a 2.1 it's unbelievable.

Is there no way you can budge on the 0.1? :frown: Like ask lecturers there advice?
Original post by urbanlocations
Is there no way you can budge on the 0.1? :frown: Like ask lecturers there advice?

Oh believe me I have, it's not really up to them though, once the provisional marks for my assignments have been given it's done, no going back unless I want to resit the entire year. It's up to the exam board to decide if missing the 2.1 by the skin of my teeth is a non issue for being awarded a 2.1. And I have no idea if they will be kind and give me the 2.1, part of me is hopeful because apparently it happens quite often but I have no idea which unis do, University of Leeds is a Russel Group uni so it might very strict on this.

Also, all the potential scholarships I can get are only available to people with a 2.1.. sigh.

I have to wait till July 4th for my degree classification, the wait will kill me.
(edited 7 years ago)
Oh believe me I have, it's not really up to them though, once the provisional marks for my assignments have been given it's done, no going back unless I want to resit the entire year. It's up to the exam board to decide if missing the 2.1 by the skin of my teeth is a non issue for being awarded a 2.1. And I have no idea if they will be kind and give me the 2.1, part of me is hopeful because apparently it happens quite often but I have no idea which unis do, University of Leeds is a Russel Group uni so it might very strict on this.

Also, all the potential scholarships I can get are only available to people with a 2.1.. sigh.

I have to wait till July 4th for my degree classification, the wait will kill me.

Ahhh I have all this to come!! I am only in my first year!!
Not fully sure how it all works to be honest
Original post by urbanlocations
Ahhh I have all this to come!! I am only in my first year!!
Not fully sure how it all works to be honest

Just don't **** up your 2nd year like I did.
Just don't **** up your 2nd year like I did.

Is the 2nd year a large jump? what degree did you study.

I got a 2.1 in my first year and I worked my ass off for that.... so trying to get a first is impossible I hope to get a 2.1 overall!!
yeah it was a huge jump from first year for me, did BA music.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending