The Student Room Group

Don't do A levels.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Serine Soul
I agree with all of this. In my own experience, I had about two teachers from my lessons that no one would dare disobey, or talk against. Even the disruptive kids were silent in their lessons.

I also had numerous substitutes and one of the worst cases is when my year 9 humanities class had to go through about 5 teachers and in the end one just gave up on turning up to teach us :redface: Obviously we all just took that as a chance to mess about

But ugh it's not worth it, it just wastes life. :frown:

Tbf year 9 is the "acting up" phase though....:redface:
Original post by SeanFM

:lol: you'll be fine at least, not sure about the rest of us maths graduates!

I'm not the one halfway through a prestigious uni for maths and have a placement lined up already! :wink:
Original post by Pokémontrainer
Zacken! :zomg: I wish I had more guts to stand up to my teachers like you did, though. :redface:

I just cried in the toilets...

I STILL cry in toilets....

Nothing has changed XD
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes

Nothing has changed XD

On the bright side, that makes you a pretty good Hermione. All we need to do is organise the troll now! :tongue:
I agree with all of this. In my own experience, I had about two teachers from my lessons that no one would dare disobey, or talk against. Even the disruptive kids were silent in their lessons.

I also had numerous substitutes and one of the worst cases is when my year 9 humanities class had to go through about 5 teachers and in the end one just gave up on turning up to teach us :redface: Obviously we all just took that as a chance to mess about

Oof... poor chap. :s-smilie: as long as you had fun though, I guess it's okay for everyone else :redface:

I just would've at least expected her to be somewhere in science that's all. And yeah just GCSE is a bit overkill but when you're teaching just set ones that are essentially being introduced to A Level in year 10, a strong Maths background would be nice :redface:

I dunno.. I wouldn't write off a sports degree too quickly :redface: and oh yes, no doubt. Maybe they just didn't have anyone applying that year.

With Maths at uni as well, I can't see it adding too much value to how someone teaches at A-level that someone else studying a degree can't get. You have the usual ECs, maybe a few teaching modules in a sciencey area (which are available to people at my uni for anyone doing anything sciencey related, and I could see sports falling under that) and then there's kind of Algebra and Analysis etc.. but I would be hesitant to say that doing a maths degree adds any real value someone who wants to teach it at A-level, as opposed to someone who studies something science related. It may make them look better but it's really not as useful as you might think :tongue: I s'pose it just shows that they're really competant at maths.
Original post by Zacken
Sounds like you stood up to them pretty darn well!

Hmm, I could have shown more resilience. :colondollar: You're pretty amazing though, because you're doing so well independently and you have a lot more courage. :getmecoat:
But ugh it's not worth it, it just wastes life. :frown:

Tbf year 9 is the "acting up" phase though....:redface:

It was fun trying to set fire to the table though. Good memories (just a shame that two of the people I share those memories with are in jail and another recently got stabbed :redface: )

Year 9 was probably the worst year of my life so far otherwise...

Nothing has changed XD

It's eerie how similar we are. :erm:
Well that is what some kids are like, I was always told to respect my elders so I never disrupted like some of the people I went to school with.

Better teachers can control the classroom.

I had teachers that would make friends with the "frightening" students but it really didn't work because while they were discussing the X-factor with them in our science lessons so that they wouldn't kick off, it wasted other student's teaching time (like mine :colonhash: but it's okay, I did well in the end :tongue:...but still :colonhash:)

If there were classfuls of you then there really wouldn't be a problem and we'd have teachers signing up left, right and centre. But sadly there are problem kids.

I don't know - from what I've seen, there's no magic formula. If you don't have any kind of reputation or experience within the school, then you could do everything right but still not succeed. Even with experience you could be walked over. One person could do everything right and it just doesn't happen for them, and there's no kind of 'do this and they are 101% guaranteed to be under your control'. I do not know how it works :redface: I start to wonder whether you are just born with it and it happens or.. :erm:
(edited 7 years ago)
It was fun trying to set fire to the table though. Good memories (just a shame that two of the people I share those memories with are in jail and another recently got stabbed :redface: )

Year 9 was probably the worst year of my life so far otherwise...

Ah I see! Probably like how it was fun for this girl to throw a chair at a teacher....:redface: or smoking in science classrooms when the teacher leaves the room!

Yes, what thrill seekers! :biggrin:

Year 8 was the worst year of my life...honestly, I wouldn't go back if someone gave me millions to do so.
It's eerie how similar we are. :erm:

I told you, I AM YOU!

[video="youtube;xEtkqdKEg_Y"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEtkqdKEg_Y[/video]
Original post by SeanFM
If there were classfulls of you then there really wouldn't be a problem and we'd have teachers signing up left, right and centre. But sadly there are problem kids.

I don't know - from what I've seen, there's no magic formula. If you don't have any kind of reputation or experience within the school, then you could do everything right but still not succeed. Even with experience you could be walked over. One person could do everything right and it just doesn't happen for them, and there's no kind of 'do this and they are 101% guaranteed to be under your control'. I do not know how it works :redface: I start to wonder whether you are just born with it and it happens or.. :erm:

Oh dear, classfulls of me is a frightening thought...:redface: But yes, kids need to sort it out. So do some teachers. I think we can conclude it at that. :tongue:
I told you, I AM YOU!

[video="youtube;xEtkqdKEg_Y"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEtkqdKEg_Y[/video]

Why did she say 'Ellen'? :K:
And no, you're by far lovelier than I could ever be. You're also more myself than I am. :colondollar: :teehee:
Original post by SeanFM
Oof... poor chap. :s-smilie: as long as you had fun though, I guess it's okay for everyone else :redface:

I dunno.. I wouldn't write off a sports degree too quickly :redface: and oh yes, no doubt. Maybe they just didn't have anyone applying that year.

With Maths at uni as well, I can't see it adding too much value to how someone teaches at A-level that someone else studying a degree can't get. You have the usual ECs, maybe a few teaching modules in a sciencey area (which are available to people at my uni for anyone doing anything sciencey related, and I could see sports falling under that) and then there's kind of Algebra and Analysis etc.. but I would be hesitant to say that doing a maths degree adds any real value someone who wants to teach it at A-level, as opposed to someone who studies something science related. It may make them look better but it's really not as useful as you might think :tongue: I s'pose it just shows that they're really competant at maths.

I guess maths graduates just aren't supposed to teach maths at a lower level then!

And yeah I should've mean 'maths related' instead of a 'Maths degree'. I just personally feel that teachers should have a strong background in what they're teaching in, even if it's just GCSE. For example, people who have worked in scientific research for a while teaching GCSE science in their later years. I see it as a way to inspire students, to talk to students about potential career paths and show them that what they're teaching is quite relevant after all. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's teachers with those strong backgrounds in their relative subjects that make the top private schools 'top'. (Just think of how many teachers in private schools have PhDs and all sorts in their specific areas compared to those in state...)
But that's just me and it's late! And none of the Maths teachers at my Sixth Form College have a non-Maths degree so I was just assuming...!
(edited 7 years ago)
Hmm, I could have shown more resilience. :colondollar: You're pretty amazing though, because you're doing so well independently and you have a lot more courage. :getmecoat:

Hush, the same goes for you! :tongue:
I guess maths graduates just aren't supposed to teach maths at a lower level then!

And yeah I should've mean 'maths related' instead of a 'Maths degree'. I just personally feel that teachers should have a strong background in what they're teaching in, even if it's just GCSE. For example, people who have worked in scientific research for a while teaching GCSE science in their later years. I see it as a way to inspire students, to talk to students about potential career paths and show them that what they're teaching is quite relevant after all. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's teachers with those strong backgrounds in their relative subjects that make the top private schools 'top'. (Just think of how many teachera in private schools has PhDs and all sorts in their specific areas compared to those in state...)
But that's just me and it's late! And none of the Maths teachers at my Sixth Form College have a non-Maths degree so I was just assuming...!

Mmm, I see where you're coming from, and in a perfect world there'd be enough qualified people to do just that :tongue: I think teachers can/try to inspire people, even without those kinds of experiences but :dontknow: it's very difficult to keep a teenager's attention like that, or not have it bounce off of them but it'd definitely be a useful thing for them to do (even if they have to make up stuff, like 'I once worked for (insert football team here), helping them add up millions of pounds and sorting out wages and stuff' or 'I once fought a shark bare handed' because you always get people saying 'why is this going to be of any use to me? :bawling:'.

...boy, the education system is a can of worms.

Reply 116
Original post by rumana101
'BTEC equivalent of 3A*' ... are u mad

Lemme tell you.. My A in chem is worth not even 10% of your pass level. Jesus
Original post by SeanFM
Mmm, I see where you're coming from, and in a perfect world there'd be enough qualified people to do just that :tongue: I think teachers can/try to inspire people, even without those kinds of experiences but :dontknow: it's very difficult to keep a teenager's attention like that, or not have it bounce off of them but it'd definitely be a useful thing for them to do (even if they have to make up stuff, like 'I once worked for (insert football team here), helping them add up millions of pounds and sorting out wages and stuff' or 'I once fought a shark bare handed' because you always get people saying 'why is this going to be of any use to me? :bawling:'.

...boy, the education system is a can of worms.

I get where you're coming from but that's really not what I meant.

I guess my own personal goal is to do exactly what I suggested, work in research for a while and then go into teaching in secondary schools, so I see it a little differently. :tongue:
Original post by madmadmax321
Having a bad teacher isn't a excuse, at uni you'll come across many awful lecturers but you just have to suck it up as the uni probably won't listen to you

Posted from TSR Mobile

I disagree with that.
Some unis DO listen to you and your opinions.
Original post by Alisa59
I disagree with that.
Some unis DO listen to you and your opinions.

And college, my college offers moving to a different class since we have like 10 maths teachers therefore if we feel our teacher's teaching styling isn't suitable you can be transferred to another teacher. Same with the sciences and other subjects that have high number of teachers.

The key is choosing the right college/university.

Quick Reply

Latest