The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography GEOG 3 2016

Scroll to see replies

In the 10 mark question of regeneration of a town or city centre, I spoke about the regeneration of the London docklands, property led schemes in general for regeneration of cbd and then a few lines on some general improvements to cbds- but I'm slightly concerned that ( as some people have said) they won't accept London docklands, even thought it is now the 3rd cbd of London??
Original post by Antonia345
In the 10 mark question of regeneration of a town or city centre, I spoke about the regeneration of the London docklands, property led schemes in general for regeneration of cbd and then a few lines on some general improvements to cbds- but I'm slightly concerned that ( as some people have said) they won't accept London docklands, even thought it is now the 3rd cbd of London??

I done docklands and Hulme. I believe it only said town or city not center? Im worried i didnt stress the impacts though....
Anyway no point thinking about it now its over thats the main thing and now on to Geog 4 my last exam 😊
I was the one wording in the first place anyway because I'd only left one line, we're both in the same position anyway!
Original post by rosieschofield
surely they'd put more emphasis on it if it was extremely important, i dont reckon it'll matter, the examiners are human and will work it out, dont worry :smile:

Thank you! :smile:
I started each new question on a new page - do you think this will be okay??
Original post by ahopelesscase

nothing to worry about! Tbh the only reason they specify is for their own convenience- same thing goes with blue ink. If you use blue ink it's actually fine- they'd just rather not everyone do it because it can make marking on screen more difficult. You will not lose any marks at all for starting a new page. :smile:
Original post by Sacred Ground
Guys we all messed up the 10 marker for world cities, I wrote about Manchester city centre and it's probably not right

no that is correct, i wrote about manchester city centre aswell, its the only case study where regeneration is happening in the city. partnership schemes and property-led schemes dont count in this
Hi, to everyone that was concerned/worried about the World Cities 10 marker, I spoke to my teacher who knows the exam officer and she said that any case study related to regeneration/redevelopment of a town or city will get you the marks regardless of if it is a partnership scheme etc. Therefore, case studies on Liverpool One, St Stephens Shopping Centre, Hull and Doncaster Frenchgate centre etc. would all get you the marks!

On the other hand, London Docklands, Westfield etc. are all inner city areas and therefore would not qualify and so the examiners report from 2013 may very well read the same again in 206 if people have chosen these examples!

Hope this helps and sorry to dishearten any one who may have done the wrong case study :smile:
Reply 2268
Original post by CLGC98
Did anyone else mention supervolcanoes for the tectonic essay?

I did briefly in my conclusion
I did WC 40 marker and liked it in the exam, but then stressed about it afterwards, like I didn't just talk about waste and transport, kind of talked about how LEDC and MEDC cities struggle with different problems in terms of sustainability, ie. one is dealing with rapid urbanisation (problems with providing housing and employment etc) and the other is trying to cope with de-industrialisation and keeping their city centres popular by investment and redevelopment??? I did around 10 case studies and wrote a lot, also I actually for once left a good amount of time for a conclusion, so as long as you have a good structure, synopticity and your answer is relevant to question, is it ok??!! Please can someone put my mind at rest, thanks
Also any thoughts on what the 4b fracking questions will be?
I did the Ecosystems 40 marker and wrote about CACC/TANAPA. However, I forgot most of the TANAPA content so to make up for it I wrote about RUF development and some routeways. The question was something like "Human activity and development on ecosystems in inherently unsustainable" To what extent do you agree with this view?

Will I get credit for RUF/ Routeways stuff? Thanks.
Does anybody remember the 8 mark question on Contemporary Conflict and Challenges...? It was something to do with international conflict and the impacts....
Did anyone do the multiculturalism essay?? What kinda stuff did you write??

Posted from TSR Mobile
any ideas/estimates on rough grade boundaries ? usually similar?
Original post by Lucyrabuszko
Does anybody remember the 8 mark question on Contemporary Conflict and Challenges...? It was something to do with international conflict and the impacts....

The economic and environmental impacts of an international conflict
Original post by EmmaO'Neill
I done docklands and Hulme. I believe it only said town or city not center? Im worried i didnt stress the impacts though....
Anyway no point thinking about it now its over thats the main thing and now on to Geog 4 my last exam 😊

Jan 2013 "Evaluate the success of one city centre development that you have studied" 10 marks (so exactly like the one today and the examiners report says:"This question presented a few issues for examiners, and unfortunately there was a large number ofvery low scoring answers, with many (35%) scoring zero. The context of the question was the‘redevelopment of a city centre’ - a section that appears in the specification under the heading‘Retailing and other services’. The question was not one of urban regeneration per se - the locationhad to be ‘city centre/CBD’ or within the ‘frame’ of a CBD. Consequently, areas identified as theLondon Docklands, the Olympic site, Thames Gateway, Cardiff Bay docks, Hulme City Challenge,Park Hill flats in Sheffield, Dharavi, the entire city of Liverpool etc., were not appropriate nor validcontexts. Level 2 responses were able to provide some specific detail of the chosen city centre - forexample in central Manchester, Birmingham or Hull - together with some simple, or tentative,statements of success or otherwise. Level 3 was awarded to rare answers that gave a range offeatures of redevelopment of the chosen city centre and clear and explicit statements of evaluation."
Original post by oceandxst
Did anyone do the multiculturalism essay?? What kinda stuff did you write??

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did, I started by just defining multicultural and saying about about the distribution of and formation of multicultural societies in the uk, I then did paragraphs on issues related to housing, health, religion, education, economy and language, in the context of Bradford and Blackburn and then in the conclusion I wrote a little bit about how the issues might be resolved, might all be not needed and extra but we'll see haha. What about you?
Original post by kaya22
jan 2013 "evaluate the success of one city centre development that you have studied" 10 marks (so exactly like the one today and the examiners report says:"this question presented a few issues for examiners, and unfortunately there was a large number ofvery low scoring answers, with many (35%) scoring zero. The context of the question was the‘redevelopment of a city centre’ - a section that appears in the specification under the heading‘retailing and other services’. The question was not one of urban regeneration per se - the locationhad to be ‘city centre/cbd’ or within the ‘frame’ of a cbd. Consequently, areas identified as thelondon docklands, the olympic site, thames gateway, cardiff bay docks, hulme city challenge,park hill flats in sheffield, dharavi, the entire city of liverpool etc., were not appropriate nor validcontexts. Level 2 responses were able to provide some specific detail of the chosen city centre - forexample in central manchester, birmingham or hull - together with some simple, or tentative,statements of success or otherwise. Level 3 was awarded to rare answers that gave a range offeatures of redevelopment of the chosen city centre and clear and explicit statements of evaluation."

that was not the question it was evaluate regenration scheme so dont freak out it wasnt retail
Original post by Antonia345

why wouldn't they accept London docklands???
Original post by ahopelesscase

as long as you put the question number in the margin it should be fine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending