The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 2 Governing the UK (09/06/16)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xxx-ooo-xxx
I feel as though I did link it in (I'm always very conscious of trying to answer the question really directly so this really was on my mind) but shoooooot.

Do you have any idea of how my other points might do/if I used enough points? Sorry to pester, it's just that from where I've missed a few months of school I'm very iffy on exam style and content of the courses

I did exactly the same thing as you but i added devolution so idk but by the looks of it we answered as any proposed reform is relevent and how furthering its favourable so yeah, i dont think we did bad and the question wasnt about codified vs uncodified but merely how the is further constitutional favoured so you could mention how Lib dems and Brown proposed a Codified constitution. Screenshot_2016-06-09-18-38-17.png
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait.

Wait.

Wait.

It was to what extent can Parliament control the government, right? Not to what extent does the government control Parliament?

One of us has made a very silly and very fatal mistake.

Someone please put me out of my misery.

Oh God I'm literally dying here, someone please tell me which one it was.
Oh God I'm literally dying here, someone please tell me which one it was.

Don't worry aha, it was to what extent parl controls govt

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by King Geedorah

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are literally my favourite person in the entire world right now.

Those were the tensest 15 minutes of my entire life.

Here, take all my reps.
Original post by Cato the Elder
The exam was pretty easy, but I screwed up one one thing: I rushed and wrote the questions in the wrong sections. I hope I don't fail Government and Politics on a mere technicality like that...will they still mark my work?

I did that for one of the questions, hopefully it'll be fine!
Original post by Luchamb
Yeah but could it also be the reforms like devolution and stuff?

of course! im sure you did great!
I spoke about most of that too. Hopefully we have at least 34.
Original post by UKStudent17
Most sixth form students (at least in my school) will drop a subject and continue with 3, unless they enjoy the extra pressure and/or get amazing AS results while wanting to continue with 4. Funnily enough, my original plan was to drop Politics because it didn't feel as significant to me as opposed to let's say History. But now, if I'm lucky in the smallest chance, that I get into Year 13 in my school, I'm just going to drop whichever subject I got the lowest grade in (probably Geography).

Probably going to need to consider alternative options. Might go to my school to ask for suggestions... although I'd rather not go to them. Just hate all of it, you know? This summer will be me fretting over what I could've got, where I'll go, what people will think, etc.

Yeah I get that, it's really stressful, what would even happen if you didn't get into the next year will they literally tell you to go somewhere else? That just seems so mad to me especially when you're starting the course in a couple of weeks tjme

Yeah I know me too, I only do 3 a levels and if I probably don't pass next year no unis will accept me, let's just hope for the best...for both of our sales!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait.

Wait.

Wait.

It was to what extent can Parliament control the government, right? Not to what extent does the government control Parliament?

One of us has made a very silly and very fatal mistake.

Someone please put me out of my misery.

oh god, I cant remember which way I did it, isn't it just the wording? would I lose the entire essay if I did it the other way around?
Seeing as i made the fatal error of writing an uncodified v codified debate on the constitution 40 marker, is that my essay just scrapped then?
Original post by Ashc014
Seeing as i made the fatal error of writing an uncodified v codified debate on the constitution 40 marker, is that my essay just scrapped then?

I'm honestly wondering the same same thing, surely if more than just one person has made the mistake they might at least give us some marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mollyadtr
I'm honestly wondering the same same thing, surely if more than just one person has made the mistake they might at least give us some marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No point talking about it now tbh
It's done
Worse case resit the paper
Original post by xxvine
No point talking about it now tbh
It's done
Worse case resit the paper

Yeah I feel you, it's just ages till we find out the result 😕when do we find out in like August?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by King Geedorah

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wasn't the question assess the means by which Parliament controls the executive?
http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Government%20and%20Politics/2013/Exam%20materials/MS_6GP02_0906_V2.pdf

This mark scheme where the 40 mark constitution question is similar to the question we did yesterday where it's basically asking should more be done. So according to this you could have talked about codification, house of lords etc
Original post by stratagems
I liked the question and it would have been my go to had it not been for the fact tha remembering key judicial decisions was a pain in the arse haha.
With the constitution, you don't really have to remember date of xyz, but now I'm confused if I even understood the question correctly like others here 😳, so you probably made the right decision!

I didn't put many judicial decisions in mine, I talked mostly about if they are neutral and independent and then went and did the same with both the executive and then parliament, assessing both. I think my conclusion was that although the executive can actually amend legislation to prevent any infringement of civil liberties and rights, the best branch for the job is the judiciary because of their increasing liberal standpoint and tyranny of the minority etc. - very different from what I've seen other people write for that question on here but oh well haha
What did people write for the PM 25 marker?
Reply 1577
Original post by history master
What did people write for the PM 25 marker?

Just about managed to finish my essay on PM but wrote about the following:

Para 1-PM is free from political constraint if they have support of their party. Talked about electoral liability, elasticity theory, etc in regards to Blair. Discussed Major and his weakened authority by rebels, etc.
Para 2-PM not free from political constraint depending on size of majority. Talked about landslides had by Blair and Thatcher, passing of bills such as on foundation hospitals and tuition fees. Cameron will face less well with a mere majority of 12.
Para 3-PM not free from political constraints owing to coalition. Discussed the sharing of power in terms of decision making, legislation in regards to Con-Lib Dem coalition. Also mentioned confidence and supply arrangement criteria which may pressurise PM e.g Major and Ulster Unionists in 1997
Para 4-PM free from political constraint on account of their personality. Should be able to dominate and their personality reflects on their leadership. Discussed Blair being statesman-like and able to get his way, e.g Millenium a Dome in 1997. Major and Heath acted as peace brokers in their cabinet, the former containing some of his deadliest enemies not out of choice but out of decision to reassert authority.Conclusion-summed up above points and came to the conclusion that the PM is generally never free from constraint due to cabinet and parliament in the end.

Hope this helps you :smile:
Original post by mollyadtr
Yeah I get that, it's really stressful, what would even happen if you didn't get into the next year will they literally tell you to go somewhere else? That just seems so mad to me especially when you're starting the course in a couple of weeks tjme

Yeah I know me too, I only do 3 a levels and if I probably don't pass next year no unis will accept me, let's just hope for the best...for both of our sales!

Posted from TSR Mobile

They'd just tell me that I can't enroll for Year 13. :frown: I'm fairly sure that I have to enroll on the same day that I get my results, so there's no room to do anything, really.
I just remembered that i wrote that Mps can issue a vote of no confidence to as a method of controlling the executive to some extent, is that correct?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending