> 40% 5%
> 50% 6%
> 60% 14%
> 70% 24%
> 80% 29%
> 90% 10%
100%3%
Total votes: 954

Join the NEW GCSE Science 2017 Discord Server!

https://discord.gg/JuX3GGy

Remember a question? Post your answers below.

I have received a ton of answers on Twitter (@NacoRBLX) and have added a lot more to this! Thanks to everyone who has and still is sending me answers! We have made a really good community on this post today and look out for the chemistry and physics threads on Wednesday and Friday! - Naco88
This mark scheme is not official and was made purely from what we saw in the exam.
Also thanks for 34,000 views!

AQA B2 Higher - Unofficial Mark Scheme (Updated Regularly) (Should have the last few questions of foundation)

1. Athlete Question - UPDATED

a)
i) Anaerobic means respiration without oxygen
ii) The athlete was running for 1.5 minutes.
b) How do you know it was anaerobic respiration?
The athlete produced lactic acid
c) How does the flow of the blood help the athlete's muscles?
Removes lactic acid, build up. Causes less fatigue. Supplies oxygen.

2. Pond Weed Question

Put the pond weed in the beaker,

Fill the beaker with water.

Move the light close to the pond weed,

Count bubbles in one minute, / Measure oxygen produced

Note down your results,

Repeat experiment but move the light closer/further away from the pond weed each time.

To make it a fair test, use same amount of water, use same length/volume of pond weed, time it for the same length.

Question 2 notes: The answer could be any experiment to test how the amount of light intensity affects photosynthesis. The question stated that you did not have to write about the equipment pictured and it was just an example.

(6 marks)
3. Enzymes question

Circle Cytoplasm. (1 mark)
What is an enzyme? (2 marks)
An enzyme is a substance produced by a living organism which acts as a catalyst to bring about a specific biochemical reaction.

Muscular tissue contracts and churns food in the stomach

Epithelial tissue covers the stomach

Glandular tissue secretes hormones and enzymes

Rest of question is incomplete

4. Plantains in the field

To improve their investigation: Use random sampling, take more samples.
With the mean average question, people seemed to be getting either 10,100 or 160,000. Different answers I know but we are not sure which is right.

5. Polydactyly Question - UPDATED

Stem cells are undifferentiated stem cells that can potentially become any cell.
This question had a lot of parts to do with alleles but it was so long no one can really remember it.

I am not sure if the following answer was on the polydactyly question but here are our redicted answers:
Parents genotype: Genotype: mother: Bb father :Bb
Parents phenotype: Both have brown hair
Gametes: Mother: XY Father: XX
Offspring genotype: Brother: bb Sister: Bb
Offspring phenotype: Brother - red hair sister - brown hair

How do you know the man is heterogeneous?
He has B & b alleles.

6. Removing bacteria from milk with catalase.

Advantages: Catalysts can be reused

Disadvantages: Enzymes can denature, Hydrogen Peroxide doesn't kill all the bacteria, It could mix with/stay in the milk which could be harmful to humans.

These weren't the only ones but they're the ones I have seen posted the most.

7. Meiosis & Mitosis

The sperm cells were produced in the testes/testicles by Meiosis. The embryo divided by Mitosis.
For the question about the size of each cell:

8. Foxes

How can scientists prove the foxes originated from the same species?
The scientists could breed 2 of the foxes and see if they produce fertile offspring. (Offspring which can reproduce)
How are the foxes different species?
Foxes, Geographical isolation. Adapted differently. Mutation, So unable to breed. Different species.
Why were the foxes on the 3 islands varied but still the same species?
The islands have similar conditions so the two species adapted similarly and were so similar they could still interbreed so were still of the same species.

I am not sure what question these answers were for)

Know more answers? Please message me on twitter @NacoRBLX, thanks!

Note: The questions may not be in the right order.

This is a mix of my answers and those of the community but they are not guaranteed to be correct.

Grade Boundary Predictions

These are completely my predictions, we have decided that it was a fairly
easy paper so our boundaries are fairly high.

A* - 46 marks

A - 37 marks

B - 31 marks

C - 24 marks

Thanks for using my mark scheme : )

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

1. What is anaerobic? (1 mark)
1b. How do you know they are exercising anaerobically? (1 mark)
2. Pondweed photosynthesis question (6marks)
2a. What is an enzyme? (2 marks)
2b. Where do they work most? Options were nucleus, cytoplasm and another one? (1 mark)
Reply 2
I got that the athlete ran for 1.5 minutes.
(edited 7 years ago)
Tissues
What is the function of glandular tissue in the stomach? (2 marks)
What is the function of muscular tissue in the stomach?
What is the function of epithelial tissue in the stomach?

Quadrat Question
What is the area of the field
What was the mean of plantain
What was the total area of the 10 Quadrats

6 Marker
How can you use the following apparatus (lamp, pondweed, beaker and ruler) to test light intensity?
Reply 4
the circle question was cytoplasm
Reply 5
Unofficial marks scheme (may not be correct ) not in order
Anerobic - incomplete breadown of glucose
How can u tell ?- athlete produces lactic acid
Athlete and blood flow to muscles - oxidation of co2 and lactic acid , faster transportation of oxygen into blood streem , causes muscles to contract , athlete then anerobicly respires which decreases blood flow to muscles - muscle fatigue

Epithelial - covers and protects stomach from acid
Muscular contracts and churns up food
Glandular secretes hormones and digestive juices to increase breakdown of food
Fox question - isolation, adaption,natural selection , mutation, unable to breed
Can't Remeber anymore
Reply 6
was it 1 in 4 ginger for the cross diagram question
1 Anaerobic is without the presence of oxygen, he ran for 1.5 minutes, and the level of lactic acid was higher at the end, 18dm3. Epithelial tissue cover the inside and outside of the stomach, glandular realises digestive juices, muscular churns up food.
2. Put the pondweed in a test tube, fill up a beaker with water, put the test tube in the beaker, use a ruler to measure bubbles, use a timer to measure how long the light is on for, move away the light at the same intervals. Control variables- Time and distance of the light. I know that you aren't supposed to add equipment like I did, but it said that these are SOME of the things you may use, and I had a thick moment and started adding things😑
3. Enzymes are biological catalysts made of proteins. They speed up reaction without being used up in the process. Advantage- Can be done at low temperatures and can be reused. Disadvantage- Enzymes can denature easily, due to things like pH.
4. Do the maths stuff (can't remember any) and the improvements are 1. Do more samples 2. Place the quadrants randomly to eliminate bias and 3. Can't remember😐
5. Talk about two dominant alleles or one dominant and one recessive for the mother, and two recessive a for the father. The ginger one was 25% chance of a ginger and a 50% chance for the polydactyl one.
6. Advantages and disadvantages ( accidentally wrote those in question 3)
7. I had no idea what pictograms were, but the bottom answer was MITOSIS.
8. Geographical isolation, survival of the fittest, natural selection and the passing on of favourable alleles. And then the last question was that the conditions are similar on the islands and there hasn't been enough time for evolution.

The circle question was CYTOPLASM

That's what I got anyway. I've probably gotten some wrong, put some in the wrong order or missed some out.😳
(edited 7 years ago)
foundation mark scheme?
Reply 9
Original post by Naco88

AQA B2 Higher - Unofficial Mark Scheme (Updated Regularly)

1. Athlete Question
a)
i)
2. Pond weed Photosynthesis. - Move the light different distances from the pond weed. Count bubbles in one minute. Keep pond weed length the same.
3. Enzymes question. - Circle Question: Cytoplasm.
4. Plantains, Quadrats. To improve their investigation: Use random sampling, take more samples.
I got the number of plantains per square m at 3.125
5. Polydactyly Question
6. Removing bacteria from milk with catalase. Advantages and Disadvantages.
7. Meiosis & Mitosis. The sperm cells were produces in the testes by Meiosis. The embryo divided by Mitosis.
8. Foxes, Geographical isolation. Adapted differently.

The advantage of catalase was that it doesn't require fossil fuels to heat milk to 138

Disadvantage it said above question that H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) doesn't kill all bacteria but heating will.
Original post by benisannoyedrn
1 Anaerobic is without the presence of oxygen, he ran for 1.5 minutes, and the level of lactic acid was higher at the end, 18dm3. Epithelial tissue cover the inside and outside of the stomach, glandular realises digestive juices, muscular churns up food.
2. Put the pondweed in a test tube, fill up a beaker with water, put the test tube in the beaker, use a ruler to measure bubbles, use a timer to measure how long the light is on for, move away the light at the same intervals. Control variables- Time and distance of the light.
3. Enzymes are biological catalysts made of proteins. They speed up reaction without being used up in the process. Advantage- Can be done at low temperatures. Disadvantage- Enzymes can denature easily, due to things like pH.
4. Do the maths stuff (can't remember any) and the improvements are 1. Do more samples 2. Place the quadrants randomly to eliminate bias and 3. Can't remember😐
5. Talk about two dominant alleles or one dominant and one recessive for the mother, and two recessive a for the father. The ginger one was 25% chance of a ginger and a 50% chance for the polydactyl one.
8. Geographical isolation, survival of the fittest, natural selection and the passing on of favourable alleles. And then the last question was that the conditions are similar on the islands and there hasn't been enough time for evolution.

That's what I got anyway.

For the 6 marker, didn't you only have to write about the use of the equipment given in the question, and not using any other equipment such as a stopwatch or test tubes like you mentioned
For the six mark I wrote basically the experiment (roughly) with a potometer. I said leave it over night... lamp different distances etc. But measure the difference in the water and calculating the amount of water used by the plant in photosynthesis

Someone please tell me I'll get the marks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by teenstressaddict
Shoot for the six marker I wrote do the experiment three times, once with daylight, once with the lamp and once in the dark and measure how much the pond weed grows...is that completely wrong and no marks?!!!

No it will get you some marks because you have shown testing it with different light intensities. Also as long as you showed how you used the equipment and the control variables then you should be okay :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Kesavan2000
For the six mark I wrote basically the experiment (roughly) with a potometer. I said leave it over night... lamp different distances etc. But measure the difference in the water and calculating the amount of water used by the plant in photosynthesis

Someone please tell me I'll get the marks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Counting bubbles and measuring water level should both be valid answers.
Reply 14
Original post by benisannoyedrn
2. Put the pondweed in a test tube, fill up a beaker with water, put the test tube in the beaker, use a ruler to measure bubbles, use a timer to measure how long the light is on for, move away the light at the same intervals. Control variables- Time and distance of the light.
3. Enzymes are biological catalysts made of proteins. They speed up reaction without being used up in the process. Advantage- Can be done at low temperatures. Disadvantage- Enzymes can denature easily, due to things like pH.

That's what I got anyway.

The pictograms thing said that A is a cell then B is double its size then it spilits (C) so back to same size as A then that splits again

And D,E,F,G are sperm cells

So A = 6.6
B = 13.2
C = 6.6
And D onwards are 3.3 I think???
Reply 15
Original post by RevisionGuide
For the 6 marker, didn't you only have to write about the use of the equipment given in the question, and not using any other equipment such as a stopwatch or test tubes like you mentioned

It said that it was an example of the equipment that you can use but if you used all 3 then it will probably get you the marks. :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Naco88
Counting bubbles and measuring water level should both be valid answers.

But I thought light was the factor we investigated??? Can't rember for certain tho???
Reply 17
Original post by Blahblahblah7
The pictograms thing said that A is a cell then B is double its size then it spilits (C) so back to same size as A then that splits again

And D,E,F,G are sperm cells

So A = 6.6
B = 13.2
C = 6.6
And D onwards are 3.3 I think???

That's what I got :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Blahblahblah7
But I thought light was the factor we investigated??? Can't rember for certain tho???

We were seeing how the light intensity affects the amount a plant photosynthesizes. Plants produce oxygen in photosynthesis so measuring the bubbles or oxygen produced in a certain amount of time should be a symbol of how much is is photosynthesizing.
Reply 19
Original post by Naco88

AQA B2 Higher - Unofficial Mark Scheme (Updated Regularly) (Should have the last few questions of foundation)

1. Athlete Question
a)
i)

2. Pond weed Photosynthesis. - Move the light different distances from the pond weed. Count bubbles in one minute. Keep pond weed length the same.

3. Enzymes question. - Circle Question: Cytoplasm.

4. Plantains, Quadrats. To improve their investigation: Use random sampling, take more samples.
I got the number of plantains per square m at 3.125

5. Polydactyly Question

6. Removing bacteria from milk with catalase.
Advantages: Catalysts can be reused
Disadvantages: Enzymes can denature

7. Meiosis & Mitosis. The sperm cells were produces in the testes by Meiosis. The embryo divided by Mitosis.

8)
Foxes, Geographical isolation. Adapted differently. Mutation, So unable to breed. Different species.
Why were the foxes on the 3 islands varies but still the same species?
The islands have similar conditions so the two species adapted similarly and were so similar they could still interbreed so were still of the same species.

Was there a question after the speciation one (the 5 marker)? I think I missed it -_-

Quick Reply

Latest